Wiki Posts
Search

Air Malta

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Air Malta

just looking for a wee bit of advise please

My 18yr old daughter first time away with 1 friend, flying back on Monday afternoon.
They were supposed to fly Malta to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to Edinburgh.
Arrived at Malta airport to check in to be told they were being moved onto a different flight Malta to Zurich.
Girl at check in said she didn't know how to check them in on the connecting flight therefore they needed to collect their luggage.
please bare in mind she is only 18 first time away so not experienced in asking questions that we as adults would ask.

so arrive in Zurich at 16:50 to then notice their next flight Zurich to Edinburgh departs 17;30!
they had to get off the flight, and collect their luggage which took about 20 mins to come through!
so by the time they got to check in desk the flight was closed.

im sure their flight would have been boarding by the time they got off the first plane

I have contacted air Malta and they are advising 40 mins is enough time to meet the connecting flight, how can this be if they had to collect luggage and still check in and the get through to the departure gate?

they then told me that as Zurich is outwith the EU they have no agreement with them so they couldn't check the luggage through!

their connecting flight in Zurich was with Swiss air who contacted Air Malta, if Air Malta are not at fault here why did they then pay for more flights to get them back to the UK? they are saying they did it out of courtesy! there customer service is very patronizing.

my daughter and friend were left sitting in Zurich airport overnight which closes, no hotel offered or food vouchers, so they landed at 16:45 and the next flight they were given was 7.40am.

and due to them being flown out of the EU a huge mobile bill is now on its way!

so really i am asking is 40 mins really enough time to collect luggage and check in then get to departures?

maybe if their luggage was checked in all the way through at a push.

Swiss air did advise them that Air malta do this to passengers every week!

would i have a valid claim?

Last edited by susanneblue1; May 10, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old May 11, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by susanneblue1
just looking for a wee bit of advise please

My 18yr old daughter first time away with 1 friend, flying back on Monday afternoon.
They were supposed to fly Malta to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to Edinburgh.
Arrived at Malta airport to check in to be told they were being moved onto a different flight Malta to Zurich.
Girl at check in said she didn't know how to check them in on the connecting flight therefore they needed to collect their luggage.
please bare in mind she is only 18 first time away so not experienced in asking questions that we as adults would ask.

so arrive in Zurich at 16:50 to then notice their next flight Zurich to Edinburgh departs 17;30!
they had to get off the flight, and collect their luggage which took about 20 mins to come through!
so by the time they got to check in desk the flight was closed.

im sure their flight would have been boarding by the time they got off the first plane

I have contacted air Malta and they are advising 40 mins is enough time to meet the connecting flight, how can this be if they had to collect luggage and still check in and the get through to the departure gate?

they then told me that as Zurich is outwith the EU they have no agreement with them so they couldn't check the luggage through!

their connecting flight in Zurich was with Swiss air who contacted Air Malta, if Air Malta are not at fault here why did they then pay for more flights to get them back to the UK? they are saying they did it out of courtesy! there customer service is very patronizing.

my daughter and friend were left sitting in Zurich airport overnight which closes, no hotel offered or food vouchers, so they landed at 16:45 and the next flight they were given was 7.40am.

and due to them being flown out of the EU a huge mobile bill is now on its way!

so really i am asking is 40 mins really enough time to collect luggage and check in then get to departures?

maybe if their luggage was checked in all the way through at a push.

Swiss air did advise them that Air malta do this to passengers every week!

would i have a valid claim?
First thing is first - Zurich is not an airline - it's a city. The airline is Swiss.
Second -
Your daughter is an adult (18 is an adult for all intents and purposes), albeit a not very well-travelled one. Next time she will know to ask.

Third-
Hefty cell phone bill? In the era of Skype and free wifi?

Now for the fun part -
The rest of this post assumes that their two flights were all on the same ticket. Please confirm that that is the case. If it's not, then they are not owed anything due to the misconnect.

They have a valid claim for 400€ for being delayed more than 1500 km under EU reg 261/2004.
The minimum connecting time (MCT) at ZRH is 40 minutes, so it was a legal connection - I've done a few of these and they're totally fine and bags make it too if they're checked all the way through if everything is on time. Air Malta should have checked bags all the way through, but maybe they don't have an interline agreement with Swiss.

Once they misconnected, Air Malta owed them a hotel as part of standard of care - which they did not - due to the misconnect, as well as food vouchers and phone calls.

First, write a letter to Air Malta leaving out any emotional details stating that as a result of their check-in agent not checking their bags all the way through they are due compensation under EU Reg 261/2004, submit all the receipts, etc. If that doesn't work - complain to the Swiss and the Maltese regulator (find them here). If that doesn't work consider using a 3rd party site that deals with airline claims.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm really a bit confused by a number of things here, maybe OP could condense the first post. Nevertheless, if you had one continuous ticket (did you?) you would have a claim under EC261 with Air Malta. If you had two different tickets for the journey (unlikely as then there would have not been an effort to get her to EDI) you're pretty much on her own. There would also have been a duty of care requirement. I'm a little surprised an 18-year old couldn't figure out at the very least a discussion with the information or help desk. But I think there are some details missing here.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Yes it was all in one ticket as said air Malta transferred them onto and different flight meaning they also had to change their connecting flight also
their new connecting flight from Zurich was with Swiss air as I did state.
Checking Swiss air website for check in time they state their gates closed 45 mins before departure so Not sure 40 mins connection time was enough.
Air malta have stated they have no agreement with Swiss air so that is why their luggage was not check through, so air Malta booked them onto a flight knowing they wouldn't make it.
She did ask questions asking for a hotel and vouchers but again advised as their is no agreement then they didn't need to.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
As I mentioned - since it was on one ticket she is due compensation under EU 261/2004.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Palal
As I mentioned - since it was on one ticket she is due compensation under EU 261/2004.
That is not strictly true.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Why not?

The denied boarding on the MLA-FRA flight alone means they are entitled to compensation for denied boarding under Articles 4 & 7 of EC261/2004 [assuming that that flight actually operated that day. If it did not, then they would be entitled to the cancellation compensation].

That they were booked on an impossible connection leading them to arrive far later than the new scheduled ticket should also give them additional compensation for the late arrival under Articles 5 & 7, as well as the duty of care (overnight accommodation etc) under Article 8.

(That Zurich/Switzerland is outside the EU is of no relevance - this regulation applies to Switzerland, Norway & Iceland as well as to the territory of the EU).
Attached Images  
Old May 12, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Palal
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why not?
I was being pedantic. Being on a single ticket is, in itself, a necessary but not sufficient condition.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I was being pedantic. Being on a single ticket is, in itself, a necessary but not sufficient condition.
It actually doesn't matter whether it was a single ticket or not (though it clearly was). The denied boarding at MLA means that they must be compensated for that.

The issue of the single ticket then comes into play for the delay on the rebooked ticket - which also separately qualifies for further compensation.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
18=Adult.

I traveled alobe to Africa in the early 80ies, as my parents were working there. I started that with 6. An Adult with 18 years should know to communicate with the staff and sort a few things out. I would expect her to ask the question her herself. Definitly to old to need Mommy to sort those things out for

Most EU Phone operators have no Roamng Charges in Switzerland. Just read the welcome SMS.

No luggagage check through? It can be done. So clearly a mistake by the airline.

You may use EU Claim to get your conpensation.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Air Malta!

I was due to fly to Malta today and return on the 31st. For reasons I will not go into I knew that today’s flight was cancelled about 6 weeks ago but there was no communication from them to tell me. The return was due to operate.

About 3 weeks ago they finally cancelled the LHR MLA flight and I discovered that the only means to obtain a refund was to call them on a international number. Having done so I was then advised I had to email and was provided with an email address. Why is this not on the web site!!

The refund request was sent an auto reply received and then nothing!

Yesterday they emailed to cancel the return sector!!

I am grateful to American Express who refunded me via charge back and who took less than 15 minutes to process the refund and close the case. I had sent screen shots of email and flight status pages.

I had never booked or flown AirMalta. I appreciate they are small but their behaviour is not helping them nor the tourist industry of Malta
Old Mar 18, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spotted in a tat shop in Warsaw. Boxes of them. 80gr is about €0.20.

Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hugolover

They’re only operating 17 return services a week at the moment.. can’t imagine much use for the glassware! That said, there’s still almost pre-pandemic full service with hot meal in business class... just no printed menu or tablecloth.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by hugolover

Damn, cool find! I would have bought the entire lot probably did you buy any??

What's the shop? Just in case if I might find myself connecting tru WAW in the next month or so and am bored during my layover.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
Just wondering for those that have flown with KM, what's the Business upgrade starting bid (and winning) value like? Was thinking if not too expensive might purchase their cheapest Y fare and try for a reasonable bid to J. (Planning to credit the flights to M&M program)

They have quite a good fare from AMS-MLA in June which I am thinking of booking but no experience with them. I assume service in Economy is LCC like?
Any other experience with KM would be welcome.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.