Iceland Air Experience

Old Apr 26, 18, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Iceland Air Experience

Took Iceland Air for the first time on Tuesday from AMS to KEF and had a great flight with my Father. We arrived AMS at 10:50 AM and there was a delay chexking in due to the airline not having the reels for luggage tags but it was resolved.

We got 8 A and 8 B on their 767. After checkin we went to the No.26 lounge using Priority Pass and had a nice cous cous hot mustard soup and some drinks.

After the lounge we boarded. Seat 8A and 8B had extra legroom after IcelandAir eliminating their EC some Y seats are asdigned here. 30 hours before checkin I selected the seats. Only disadvantage is the misding window.

On board we saw a movie and listened to the music. A lot of passengers did not bring headphones which go for 10 Euros. The friendly and efficient Flight Attendant brought two rounds of Applesin orange soda and water.

We landed KEF 25 monutes ahead of schedule and took a bus from the remote stand. By the time we bought a bottle of Icelandic Gin at the Duty Free shop before the baggage claim our bags arrived and we got our rental car.

So far we really enjoyed IcelandAir and the seat comfort beats other Domestic US AA flights and international flights. Getting the additional legroom and a movie on an almost 3 hour flight and drinks was better than most airlines.

We have 12D and 12F with no oone in 12E so hope these seats stick for more legroom We may go for their Tapas snackbox or other offerings to Seattle.

I booked 10 A and 10 C on Alaska Air 737.

I actually don't mind N no food as there werw no large carrs impacting the aisle. Even if we bring a sandwich and buy their 2 for 1 Gull beer door 10 Euros that is fine.
boxo likes this.
Old Jun 10, 18, 3:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott PP Ambassador & others
I am happy for you that you liked the experience. I am writing this message while onboard Iceland Air in Saga class. I am now on my fourth leg of a roundtrip between Finland and North America.

Comparing the Saga class to normal transatlantic business class on any traditional airline, the offering is clearly sub par. Recliner seats are not a norm on 7 hour flights in business class in 2018. Leg 1 - no choice of food offering (just a chicken salad was offered). Leg 3 - seat was filthy to the extent that the hot towel which was provided turned from white to black as I wiped the tray table and handrests with it. Service not personal: no personal greeting on any of the four segments by passenger name, nor in any other way either. Stewardesses seem to just to their job with zero additional interaction with the customers. While in transit, KEF airport appeared very crowded. The only thing which is comparable to the modern business class is the price of the ticket.

Looking at the Saga Club rules, top tier members would receive complimentary upgrades to Saga class. For some reason the Saga cabin has been half empty on all four segments. Apparently there are not that many top tier members then.
Old Jun 11, 18, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

An update to the review.

We were seated in 12 D and F and the female passenger in 12 E made a scene about how Iceland Air moved her from an aisle to a middle seat(not our fault) and she said in a snarky way that she owns the armrests and started with an attitude by not moving out of the way when we politely told her that 12F was my seat. Then she calls me an idiot and to "shut up" after I told her that its not a law that she owns the armrests its shared space. Look lady I fly 1,000 of miles in Y a year to know that its shared space .

When she told me to shut up I raised my voice in her ear and said" You do not tell me to shut up". I rang the call button to summon the flight attendant who sided with the woman who was in the wrong. She told the flight attendant untrue things about my Father and I. We kept our cool the best we could. We asked to be reseated or even offer my window seat to the passenger and I even apologized to be diplomatic and offered my seat to the lady who seemed she needed it more than I did . Originally I did not move to the middle as I wanted the crew to take care of this.

When I tried to leave with my Father she would not let me and I politely said "We have a connection to make can you please let me go with my Father". She told me I was a nasty person. I said to her"Thank you very much I am a kind person".

It gets better as I bruised my leg I requested a wheelchair for transfer in SEA and none was provided but it was on my record. We barely made our Alaska Flight.

Kudos to Alaska they took ownership of our problem and gave me a $350 voucher $300 for no wheelchair plus $50 for late bags at SFO. We arrived into SFO in one piece and I know that this generally does not reflect IcelandAIr but I was pleased with the customer service of IcelandAir for researching this and coming up with a good solution No airline is perfect and they can of course make mistakes just like we humans can.

So I reported the incident to the DOT Consumer Affairs and IcelandAIr and they refunded $498 of my $590 airfare for the way the flight attendant poorly handeled the situation.