Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Can easyJet transfer luggage to another airline?

Old Apr 16, 18, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards - GOLD, Virgin Atlantic, Avios

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I've booked a package deal with TUI in July departing from LGW however I have to fly over from BFS.
In the past I've flew over the night before and stayed at the Sofitel but this time I thought it'd be handier to fly on same day.

Estimated arrival time into LGW 7.40AM my flight to UVF is 10.55AM and we're flying Thomson premium so should have less of a wait checking in.

Can easyJet check my luggage in from BFS to UVF?

Returning flight:
Arrive into LGW at 6.00AM and flight departs to BFS at 8.20AM
Old Apr 16, 18, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Very few airlines will transfer luggage to a different airline on a separate ticket, and when it happens it is mostly due to the agent not realising they should do so.

Neither Easyjet nor TUI will transfer your luggage between them, in either direction.

Easyjet will only transfer luggage when the Easyjet sector has been booked as part of a single ticket with the very few airlines with which Easyjet cooperates for these purposes.

But there is no chance of U2 transferring luggage to TUI. Plan accordingly - you will have to wait to collect your bag, go landside, and observe the check-in deadlines of your second ticket. Be aware of the possibility of delays or loss of baggage (and the need to report the loss at the airport before departing for your second flight).

You should look into the Gatwick Connects service.
Old Apr 16, 18, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards - GOLD, Virgin Atlantic, Avios
Thanks for the heads up!
It's looking like I'll fly out the day night before instead and book a later flight home.

I wouldn't want to miss out on a 5 grand holiday over the sake of a few quid.
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Easyjet will only transfer luggage when the Easyjet sector has been booked as part of a single ticket with the very few airlines with which Easyjet cooperates for these purposes.
easyJet is point to point airline and does not transfer baggage between its own flights, let alone to any other airline. There is no possibility in its own e-res system to connect baggage at all.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by thelifeofdizzy View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
It's looking like I'll fly out the day night before instead and book a later flight home.

I wouldn't want to miss out on a 5 grand holiday over the sake of a few quid.
Although it is the first flight out of BFS to LGW and it is pretty much always ontime (or within 30 min) I would fly down the night before. Last thing you want before nice holiday is stress of positioning flight first thing in the morning.

Equally, on the way back, I would rather book onto EZY835 (14:30ish) to allow for any delays on your TUI flight back into LGW. If your flight from UVF is on time or early you can always go to easyJet customer service and request to be put onto EZY831 (08:20ish) flight. If there are seats available they will only charge you 22 per person which beats waiting around LGW for 6 hrs.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/book...?link_megadrop
Old Apr 17, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Norwegian, SAS, ČSA OK Plus, Priority Pass
Hi. I do not see why this would not be easily possible.
Luggage is not handled by the airline, but with a handling agency. When I flew with Delta on two separate tickets and different airlines, they could check my bags with no problem... Yes, it was within the same SkyTeam, I admit. And If I remember correctly, flying on a delayed Delta flight another day and transferring to WestJet did result in us picking us the bag and re-submitting. Well, I would definitely try it: ask at check-in and point out I have little time to transfer. You cannot lose anything with just asking.
Old Apr 17, 18, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by prgboy View Post
Hi. I do not see why this would not be easily possible.
As noted above, easyjet is a point-to-point airline. There is no system for them to interline bags, even to another one of their planes.

In those places where they have started "Worldwide by Easyjet" - so far only Gatwick - you have to retrieve your luggage and check it in with the next airline (though, in Gatwick, there is a "Gatwick Connects" desk in the baggage hall that will accept the bags and make sure they are forwarded).

It was recently announced that "Worldwide by Easyjet" is being expanded to other airports - including Amsterdam Schiphol - where the same regime applies. You must collect your baggage at the transfer point, and check it in with the next airline.

It's not really a connecting service at all - more like streamlining the "self-connecting" model that so many passengers have used by themselves for years.

Luggage is not handled by the airline, but with a handling agency. When I flew with Delta on two separate tickets and different airlines, they could check my bags with no problem...
Delta is a network carrier that has interline agreements with most airlines.
Easyjet is a point-to-point carrier that does not have any interline agreements - even with those carriers with whom it has partnered to enable transfers to longhaul flights.

And trust me, no "handling agency" is going to step forward and take the initiative in the manner that you seem to suggest. It is the airline that dictates what the handling agents will do. Easyjet will not label your bag for the following flight, if only because they are in no way responsible for the baggage of that other flight, collecting any baggage fees due to the other airline, etc etc etc. They also do not want to be implicated in your luggage tracing and compensation should that other airline be the ones to lose the bag.

Well, I would definitely try it: ask at check-in and point out I have little time to transfer. You cannot lose anything with just asking.
No point asking. Even if you buy a "Worldwide by Easyjet" ticket, you have to collect your bags.

And in this case, the other airline - TUI - is also an airline that only operates on the point-to-point model. No baggage transfer there, either.

Originally Posted by Passengerselfservice.com

Restrictions

The service does have a number of restrictions.
  • Airlines will not hold flights for connecting passengers
  • Worldwide by easyJet is subject to a 2 hour 30 minute ‘Minimum Connection Time’, which should give passengers plenty of time to transfer between flights and/or terminals
  • Baggage cannot be checked through
  • GatwickConnects is only open between 0600 and 1800

The following is from the Help pages for Worldwide by Easyjet:
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 17, 18 at 9:57 am
Old Apr 17, 18, 1:42 pm

Well, I would definitely try it: ask at check-in and point out I have little time to transfer. You cannot lose anything with just asking.
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
No point asking.
Literally, 100%, no point asking.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: