Air Italy - any comments about it?

Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Air Italy - any comments about it?

planning to travel to Milan in late September probably by Alitalia but noticed a flight with Air Italy
anyone know about this airline? I will be going business class
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:33 am

More info here — Oneworld offensive: Air Italy.

In short, they are the former Meridiana (IG) and currently going through restructuring, rebranding and so on after QR decided to pump some money in. As we stand, there isn’t a great deal of further details available (they don’t even have a CEO yet, for that purpose), including the number of planes (and possibly what sort of aircraft, even though there are rumours about some dated 330s) which will be added to the current fleet.

I know I wasn’t able to give you more background but I hope this helps a bit.

G
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
planning to travel to Milan in late September probably by Alitalia but noticed a flight with Air Italy
anyone know about this airline? I will be going business class
Meridiana rebranded the airline as the new Air Italy effective 1 March 2018.

Air Italy
Air Italy S.p.A., operating as Air Italy, is a privately owned Italian airline headquartered in Olbia with its main hub at Milan–Malpensa Airport with a focus city at Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport. It operates scheduled flights to domestic European and intercontinental destinations from several Italian bases. The airlines' parent company is AQA Holding which is owned by Alisarda (51%) and Qatar Airways (49%)[1].

History

On 19 February 2018, AQA Holding announced the official rebranding of Meridiana to Air Italy at a press conference in Milan[2]. The plan was to merger the former Meridiana subsidiary, Air Italy (which was part of Meridiana Brand) to create a new Italian airline that is needed for Italy as Air Italy's competitor Alitalia is currently bankrupt. The new plans for the airlines including a new airport lounge, new destinations, redesigned cabins, and the future of the airline. The panel also stated that Qatar Airways will have a Codeshare agreement with the airline[3]. All official branding and business will take effect from March 1, 2018.

On 1 March 2018, Air Italy officially commenced operation. Meridiana IATA and ICAO code merged to Air Italy. Meridiana website relaunched to airitaly.com as of the rebranding. For now the airline current fleet will still use the Meridiana livery but the new aircraft the airline has purchased will use the new Air Italy livery & new cabin experience.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks prices are very tempting, QR input is good sign for better planes
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:21 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Other European Airlines forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:38 pm

I'm definitely interested in what the business class on the NYC-MXP flights will be like. Decent prices right now, but still not willing to drop that much money without more info on what I'd be getting.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:46 pm

I'm flying business JFK - MXP on September 2nd.
I'll try to take some pictures and post a review.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dthorne1918
I'm flying business JFK - MXP on September 2nd.
I'll try to take some pictures and post a review.
looking forward to see it! safe flight
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:28 am

Question for you guys. We are flying to JFK on AA into terminal 8. We will both only have carry on luggage and Air Italy leaves out of Terminal 1.

Do we have to go through security again when we transfer from T8 - T1, or is it like Atlanta where you are already through security?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dthorne1918
Question for you guys. We are flying to JFK on AA into terminal 8. We will both only have carry on luggage and Air Italy leaves out of Terminal 1.

Do we have to go through security again when we transfer from T8 - T1, or is it like Atlanta where you are already through security?
Through security again IIRC. JFK's terminals aren't as neatly connected as ATL's, and you'll be taking the airtrain between the terminals - together with anyone else just coming to the airport.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So I have booked Moscow to Milan (DME-MXP) with Avios at a busy time of year, when the fare was some RUB23,000 (EUR295). It cost 10,000 Avios plus GBP61.30 taxes in Economy one way, so a pretty good deal given the price for a paid ticket (Business would have cost RUB40,000 one way, or 20,000 Avios plus GBP61.30 taxes, so the ratio of value remains more or less the same). I have read in the BAEC forum that it is difficult to get any value out of Air Italy redemptions because of the high taxes, but I think I got very good value here!

Any experiences with longer Air Italy flights in Europe? This flight has a block time of 3h40, so I was wondering what catering will be like and what the seats are like. It is on the 737 Max8, apparently. The other thing is, how can I find out Air Italy's European route network? What other routes do they fly except domestic Italy? For a while I thought Olbia might be their hub, but that can't be because MXP is a much more important airport.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
And the flight has just been cancelled. So I am either looking at a refund of Avios and taxes, or a rerouting if I can get a decent enough one. Anything weird going on at Air Italy? Or is it just a question of them shuffling their fleet around and redeploying the aircraft elsewhere. I guess nobody knows, because there’s not a massive insider fan base here, but you never know!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.