Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

WizzAir check in hand luggage for free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

I received this automated message from Wizzair today:
"As we have limited space on board, we can not guarantee that your hand luggage will be travelling with you in the cabin area of the aircraft. If there are too many bags, we might take your bag into the hold.You may drop your hand luggage at the check-in free of charge."

I know that they sometimes ask passengers to give up their hand luggage for free during boarding, but this seems to mean that anyone can just walk up to the check-in counter and get a free checked bag, providing it's hand-luggage sized.

I've never heard of anyone doing this, and can't find any mention of this on their website. Can anyone confirm whether it is true?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: *G
hi,
this is true. only priority boarding passengers are allowed to take small hand luggage and normal hand luggage.
without priority, passengers are required to drop off bags even within cabin luggage size.
Staffs collect them at the gate always, and you get a luggage tag.
Now, Ryanair has a same rule.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daiseiko
Staffs collect them at the gate always, and you get a luggage tag.
So it's not true that you can leave them at the check-in counter, then?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: *G
This is also possible, I guess.
I am non EU citizen and asked on Visa Check at the check in counter, then staff asked me to take my cabin luggage to check in for free.
I had a priority and showed the boarding pass, then he understood and just said have a good flight.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Blue
Easyjet had something similar a while back, "Go hands free" or somesuch. They now charge £5 for it, but it means you pay £5 for a checked (cabin bag sized) bag. I've used it in the past to get larger bottles of liquids through without having to add a hold bag. Can only assume Wizzair are doing something like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jonas43

I've never heard of anyone doing this, and can't find any mention of this on their website. Can anyone confirm whether it is true?
This is not unusual on busy flights; I have had similar messages from other airlines, including KLM.

Don't misinterpret the message - it applies only to flights which have been flagged as busy. It doesn't mean that, whenever you fly on Wizz, you can check your carry on for free landside. This only applies if the airline has informed you; the checkin agents should be informed of this, but just in case, you should show the message that you received from the airline informing you of the policy exception on the particular flight.
yrin likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This is not unusual on busy flights; I have had similar messages from other airlines, including KLM.

Don't misinterpret the message - it applies only to flights which have been flagged as busy. It doesn't mean that, whenever you fly on Wizz, you can check your carry on for free landside. This only applies if the airline has informed you; the checkin agents should be informed of this, but just in case, you should show the message that you received from the airline informing you of the policy exception on the particular flight.
Well, the message came in the "WizzAir flight reminder" email which gets sent out automatically a few weeks ahead of the flight - probably too early for them to know how full the aircraft will be. I went back through my email history and every single flight reminder email from WizzAir had the mention of the free checked cabin bag. So I would be tempted to believe that with WizzAir, it always applies. Do you have experience of this practice with WizzAir specifically?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.