Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I'm specifically interested in lounge access at LIS, OPO and/or MAD.
At least at MAD TP offers no longer lounge access.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31130248-post33.html
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Thanks for the quite replies.

Yes I read somewhere that there was no lounge access at MAD but I thought that MUST be a mistake. Even Star Alliances's own Lounge Finder webpage says there are two lounges which can be used - The Sala VIP Puerta de Alcala and Puerta del Sol. Is that really becoming a thing now with Star Alliance? Surely it's a given - *Gold, on a *A flight = lounge access.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Thanks for the quite replies.

Yes I read somewhere that there was no lounge access at MAD but I thought that MUST be a mistake. Even Star Alliances's own Lounge Finder webpage says there are two lounges which can be used - The Sala VIP Puerta de Alcala and Puerta del Sol. Is that really becoming a thing now with Star Alliance? Surely it's a given - *Gold, on a *A flight = lounge access.
Perhaps not, unless it is a *Gold designated lounge, and I don't think there is one at MAD.

The lounges are contract ones. Meaning each airlines negotiates the rates for providing a measure of comfort for its premium class and status passengers.

TAP has pulled out of those contracts. So fly out of MAD (and a whole raft of other airports) in business-class with TAP, and you get zilch.
It's a bewilderingly stupid move.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Interesting... So it's as if there's conflicting info even now (May 2019). TAP's website doesn't explicitly mention *AG can get one free bag on DISCOUNT tickets. However, it also does NOT explicitly say *AG do NOT get a free bag. Same on *A's website (https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition) -- TAP is not mentioned.

I decided to contact TAP via Facebook chat. They replied very quickly to say "Yes Star Alliance Gold members can bring 1 hold luggage up to 23kg without any charge." I figured that's enough visual evidence right there if the check-in staff gives me a tough time. "See? You guys told me I get a free bag! Look at my FB messenger!"

But then I decided to reconfirm this by contacting TAP via their website (via my TAP account that I created). It took a few days for them to email me back to tell them to call them (they called but I couldn't answer my phone). I called them back today, only for them to put me on hold (not for too long) and tell me that they do NOT have an answer and that I must call Star Alliance instead! Hahaha

So i'm taking my chances and will just wait. I also made bids to upgrade to business class, so it's a moot point if my bids are accepted. If they are not, I will just try my luck and see what happens when I do online check-in. If I don't see the option of one free bag, will it be too late for me add a bag for 29 euros at that point?
I also just checked via FB and was told "Yes" so I asked for a link to the website and here it is... One free 23kg bag for *Gold even on the cheapest 'Discount' fares.

https://www.flytap.com/en-pt/baggage/hold-baggage

Also, they confirmed that the is NO lounge access at MAD for *G, only for Business class pax.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Interesting... So it's as if there's conflicting info even now (May 2019). TAP's website doesn't explicitly mention *AG can get one free bag on DISCOUNT tickets. However, it also does NOT explicitly say *AG do NOT get a free bag. Same on *A's website (https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition) -- TAP is not mentioned.

I decided to contact TAP via Facebook chat. They replied very quickly to say "Yes Star Alliance Gold members can bring 1 hold luggage up to 23kg without any charge." I figured that's enough visual evidence right there if the check-in staff gives me a tough time. "See? You guys told me I get a free bag! Look at my FB messenger!"

But then I decided to reconfirm this by contacting TAP via their website (via my TAP account that I created). It took a few days for them to email me back to tell them to call them (they called but I couldn't answer my phone). I called them back today, only for them to put me on hold (not for too long) and tell me that they do NOT have an answer and that I must call Star Alliance instead! Hahaha

So i'm taking my chances and will just wait. I also made bids to upgrade to business class, so it's a moot point if my bids are accepted. If they are not, I will just try my luck and see what happens when I do online check-in. If I don't see the option of one free bag, will it be too late for me add a bag for 29 euros at that point?
At this very second, I'm checking in online to my Gatwick to Porto flight. It's a TAP DISCOUNT ticket. I did not pre-pay for any baggage (not intentional). I can confirm that I can add 1 piece of baggage with no extra fee. A second piece, however, will cost 65 euros. Underneath it clearly says: "BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE: 1 bag"

Last edited by GoofyG28; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:10 am Reason: Grammar mistake
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are miles tickets considered "discount" tickets?

I just booked LIS-SFO for next summer. Will be flying in Economy. Need to check in 2 bags. I see that standard tickets include one bag but discount include none. I am Star Gold so I know I can check at least one for free but will I get two?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Are miles tickets considered "discount" tickets?

I just booked LIS-SFO for next summer. Will be flying in Economy. Need to check in 2 bags. I see that standard tickets include one bag but discount include none. I am Star Gold so I know I can check at least one for free but will I get two?
AFAIK award tickets are not considered discount tickets. However, your ticket should tell you how much luggage you are allowed to. Just look it up there.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, *A Gold, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Perhaps not, unless it is a *Gold designated lounge, and I don't think there is one at MAD.

The lounges are contract ones. Meaning each airlines negotiates the rates for providing a measure of comfort for its premium class and status passengers.

TAP has pulled out of those contracts. So fly out of MAD (and a whole raft of other airports) in business-class with TAP, and you get zilch.
It's a bewilderingly stupid move.
Dear IAN-UK,

That is correct, TP pull out of a lot of lounge contracts (MAD and BOD, for sure). Thankfully my home airport as been FIH in the last 2 years and here I have a choice of 4 *A companies (ET, SA, SN and TK) and one small but decent *A lounge
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Just to confirm that i also got 1 free luggage when flying a Tap Discount fare. 4 separate flights (2 direct + 2 connecting) over this summer.
When checking-in online on TP's website and adding a luggage during the process the price remains unchanged at zero.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by GBM.flights
Just to confirm that i also got 1 free luggage when flying a Tap Discount fare. 4 separate flights (2 direct + 2 connecting) over this summer.
When checking-in online on TP's website and adding a luggage during the process the price remains unchanged at zero.
Damn. Made a booking where I specifically booked the fare with luggage because I thought the checked bag was not included as *G. I got that confirmed by TAP a while back when they initially made that change.
I'm pretty sure that the wording on TAP website used to be different and clearly say that extra luggage was only when you had 1 bag as part of the fare, except for TAP Platinum Visa customers. It seems they may have changed it again, this time for better.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Had to book a last-minute flight with TAP today -- thanks for the info, this thread has been helpful!

Confirming also that as *G, I was able to get a baggage allowance of 1 bag during online check-in for BCN-OPO-LCY, even on a Discount fare. It is still making me pay to change my seat at T-8, although the system did seem to auto-assign me to preferred seats in the front already. Will see whether I can change it at T-3 as previously mentioned in the threads.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Refused entrance to the contract lounge in Orly a few minutes ago.... Reading this thread it seems jumping up and down is not going to help....

I had never ever imagined that no lounge acces as *Gold when flying Star metal tucked in that carrier could possibly happen.... On codeshares sure, on "operated by" sure.... But never seen this before

Annoying given that there was a cheaper Transavia flight that I could have taken by didn't for the lounge access.

If TAP doesn't want to respect the Star alliance promise the they should just leave and lose the Star customers....
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:54 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by jsfr
If TAP doesn't want to respect the Star alliance promise the they should just leave and lose the Star customers....
Well, to be fair, they deny lounge access to their own elites... Which doesn't make it better.
jsfr likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, *A Gold, Club Accor Gold
This new policy is just becoming more confusing, just flew last month on domestic free award ticket between OPO and LIS on TapPortugal Express (EMB 190 operated by Portugalia) and had access to lounge in OPO at departure and priority on boarding...
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
Just finished a trip on TAP in Discount class, they still provide Fast Track security access at airports that have it,
and Priority Boarding. The Priority Boarding is useful esp if you're flying the LIS-OPO route since the EMB190
doesn't have all that much bin space.

And while the lounge access situation is a bit infuriating, TAP does have a chart that shows who gets access to
what lounge, you have to scroll down and go to the alphabetical airport listing. Which is also a bit infuriating in
itself, since the summary chart above it would have you believe S* gets access to all lounges.

https://www.flytap.com/en-us/at-the-...?accordionid=2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.