TAP Portugal - Pricing

Old Feb 1, 18, 8:31 am
Original Poster

TAP Portugal - Pricing

Have been keeping an eye on a particular date about 7 months away. It has increased about $200 since I originally started looking a week or so ago. Is there any chance it goes back down? Is the price being raised because I keep searching for it? I have never booked through this airline so I am unsure of how the pricing works. I know a lot of it has to do with the Euro compared with CAD but it seems like the price has changed quite drastically.

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 18, 12:03 pm

It will most likely go down after a few days/a week. And then go back up after a few days for a while.

I track a lot of flights on google flights - good way to track flight prices over time - and this is the general trend. $200 is a lot more than fx flux.
Old Feb 1, 18, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bosflyer93 View Post
It will most likely go down after a few days/a week. And then go back up after a few days for a while.

I track a lot of flights on google flights - good way to track flight prices over time - and this is the general trend. $200 is a lot more than fx flux.
Thanks for your response. Was just worried that maybe they price fixed once they saw me tracking it on google flights.. They know I want those dates so they raised the prices. But I'm not sure if that is an actual thing or not.

When do you find is the best time to book flights in general? At least with this airline.. 3 months? 6 months? In between?

Cheers
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:20 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Seven months away is still pretty far away.
They usually throw out a bunch of really low fares 9-12 months out, and then things tend to be on auto-pilot until about 6 months out, then again at 3 months out, and then management is nearly daily in the last month.

Originally Posted by leafs123 View Post
Is the price being raised because I keep searching for it?
Despite the rumors to the contrary, airlines don't do that.
Old Feb 8, 18, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Seven months away is still pretty far away.
They usually throw out a bunch of really low fares 9-12 months out, and then things tend to be on auto-pilot until about 6 months out, then again at 3 months out, and then management is nearly daily in the last month.

Perhaps not, but TAP is one of those airlines that does appear to reduce prices closer to the date of the flight when there are still plenty of open seats. There’s just never any guarantee of that which is the problem.
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Price has now increased another $150-200 since this thread started. Yikes! Will continue to track and hold out hope for discounted rates.
Old Feb 11, 18, 6:58 am

Programs: EBG, Icelandair Silver, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I track flights with them and find that they jump around a lot. Like for a couple days a flight on Day A will be X amount, then it will go up to X + 200. But Day B will go down to whatever Day A was initially. I have no idea why this happens - I've been stalking a couple fares with flexible dates in October/November and noticed it happening with relative frequency. Sort of annoying.
Old Feb 11, 18, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Correct.