Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP Strike Feb 9 - 11

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

TAP Strike Feb 9 - 11

Is this strike confirm? Cannot get any info on this as I have a flight on Feb 10.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:42 am

https://www.dn.pt/portugal/interior/...o-9060367.html
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Or, in English:

TAP cabin crew call Carnival strike - The Portugal News
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Seems to be confirmed for now, but they can call it off any time before then. You won't be able to do anything to your reservation until the flight is actually cancelled, unless they post a waiver.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Question:

YYZ-LHR-LIS

First set of flights is AC Business Class
Second Set of Flight is Tap Business Class

If flight is cancelled LHR-LIS as I am landing, do I get any compensation due to strike? do they pay hotel and food? Or will they re route me as a result of flight being cancelled prior to take off.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:55 am

Are you booked with miles? United/Aeroplan? If so, give them a call and see if you can reroute on a different carrier. I doubt TAP will compensate much beyond EU laws.

Not sure if due to the planned strike, but looking on Google flights for LHR-LIS around the strike dates show zero TAP flights. In addition, if you have a long enough layover, you could try to get on a flight out of LCY as those flights are not operated by TAP and won't be affected by the strike.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

yes it is points thanks for the info bosflyer93! looks like they cancelled all flights during that period .

So I called aeroplan. the lady stated that I need to call TAP for a refund... I dont want a refund I want to get to Lisbon.

I am a little confused how to proceed.

Last edited by Pilotbg; Jan 23, 2018 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As it is caused by a strike, you are not due compensation as such. They should still reroute you to the same destination. I would call TAP and ask them to verify rerouted.
​​​​​​
Though the issuing carrier is responsible for the rerouting. I would try TAP first. They probably have some level of response to the situation prepared.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Called tap. They are stating flights are sold out thats why cannot be found on the search engine. Find it a little hard to believe but will play it by ear day of. I just need to be in lisbon on the 14 of Feb the latest
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Aw shucks. Young love, eh?

Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Ask them to re-accommodate you on BA. Otherwise try to get AC to re-route you through FRA. I mean there's a good chance the strike will be called off if they all reach a deal.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Ask them to re-accommodate you on BA. Otherwise try to get AC to re-route you through FRA. I mean there's a good chance the strike will be called off if they all reach a deal.
Thanks. Will ask to be rerouted if flight is cancelled. Would enjoy the the YYZ-MUC flight again which I took last year. I remember passing out at cruising altitude and waking up as we are about to land. Best flight sleep I ever had.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:59 am

Strike was called off.

https://www.publico.pt/2018/02/01/ec...vocada-1801606
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by bosflyer93
That's both good and bad news (for me)
I'm flying CPH-LIS-MIA on the 9th of February and was hoping to get re-routed CPH-ORD-MIA (better seats).
Was looking forward to see how TAP handled re-routings (never flown with them before), but I guess in the end this is better for everyone involved
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:43 am

Sexten - I have the CPH-LIS-MIA flight on 12/2, so have been watching this situation intently. At one point last week it was looking like the CPH-LIS leg disappeared from sale (presumably as it couldn't position to CPH on the Sunday night due to the strike).

I called to try and have them move me onto the MAN-LIS flight on 11/2 (operated by Portugalia, still seemed to be for sale) but they wouldn't entertain it. My worry was turning up in CPH at 0610 on 12/2 with family and being told I'd be bumped onto the next day's flight (possibly downgraded in economy if J was full) without any compensation other than the 75% fare refund (which given the whole point for me of flying from CPH in the first place rather than MAN is the cheap business fare would have been very annoying!), rather than being moved onto another carrier's flight in J to MIA ASAP.

As it was a strike I'm assuming EU261 would not apply, so their only obligation would be to fulfil their contract with me in the cheapest possible way (so a hotel and a meal, rather than booking me into J on another carrier, or an offer of a refund) - I just wondered if there was any experience with TAP or other carriers (or maybe any assurances you had from them in this case) that led you to believe that a likely outcome would be getting rerouted on an equivalent/better service as quickly as possible?

This is my first EX-EU with family (including a 6 year old!) and price wise it's an appealing way to travel J as a UK resident. However the prospect of being overseas, having paid to position there and for an overnight hotel, to find myself maybe in limbo for 24 hours or more makes this more of a gamble than I'd first considered.

Needless to say I'm glad it's a non-issue in this case, and even if not it would probably have been nothing worse than inconvenient, but wondered in general if experience dictates that the passenger is normally 'looked after' in situations like this, or if airlines simply look to discharge their responsibilities to us as cheaply as possible? This will probably impact on whether I bother with EX-EU in future (particularly on airlines that look pretty ordinary in terms of how they manage labour relations - seems like TAP strikes aren't rare occurences!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.