Wiki Posts
Search

TAP automatic seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by aflee
First time poster here (UA Gold/*A Gold):

I'm looking to book one way FNC-SFO and trying to determine whether to use miles (30k + $110 and free seat assignment) or pay for a ticket ($566) and risk the whole process that everyone is going through with some success at T-3h.

A couple questions:
1) If I book direct on TAP's website, how do I see actual fare class? From searching on Orbitz, it looks like discount is currently mapping to Economy (U) but doesn't show what Basic, Classic, Plus, etc would be. Worth noting because getting M class would trigger 100% of miles, which is 6,387 so worth looking at/making sure I get at least 50% if booking on TAP. TAP website is $6 cheaper than Orbitz, etc.
No easy way to do it on TP's website.

2) If I us, I'm assuming T-3 is from first leg (ie my 06:00 flight from FNC-LIS) and would allow me to select seats on my second leg (ie my 10:00 LIS-SFO). Is this correct?
T-3 is in effect for each segment, so for FNC-LIS it'll be T-3 from the time flight departs from FNC, and for LIS-SFO will be T-3 for that flight's departure.
3) Award availability on UA is only showing FNC-LIS-EWR-SFO rather than FNC-LIS-SFO. Any idea why? (Yes, the LIS-SFO flight is offered on the day I'm flying) I'll try calling UA but curious to see if anyone knows or if this will be fixed.
There may not be mileage availability on the non-stop LIS-SFO flight.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; *A Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
No easy way to do it on TP's website.

T-3 is in effect for each segment, so for FNC-LIS it'll be T-3 from the time flight departs from FNC, and for LIS-SFO will be T-3 for that flight's departure.

There may not be mileage availability on the non-stop LIS-SFO flight.
Thanks for the quick reply! There is mileage availability on LIS-SFO so it's strange. I'll try calling United and see if they can piece it together. I think because SFO-LIS is a new route they've been slow updating the flight into UA's system perhaps or coming to agreements with TAP? Ie There is only award availability in economy, but not in business (other TAP routes have both on UA site) and the flight doesn't show at all on UA's site when looking at tickets by price and not miles (but other routes show in both). I think miles will be the way to go if I can book so I can select a seat without worrying about it...and it looks like the added fee may be less when not transferring through EWR.

If anyone does have a good way to determine fare classes on TAP I'd still be interested in learning.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Had no problems using the T-3 method with both TATL and intra-Europe flights last week. You can even select the more expensive preferred or exit row seats. Just select the seats you want when check-in opens, then complete the check-in steps without submitting payment. At T-3, you will need to first select different seats then what you reserve and complete check-in, then immediately go back and change your seat to the ones you just released.

Last edited by kchanbeki; Jun 27, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Is the standard window...

Originally Posted by kchanbeki
Had no problems using the T-3 method with both TATL and intra-Europe flights last week. You can even select the more expensive preferred or exit row seats. Just select the seats you want when check-in opens, then complete the check-in steps without submitting payment. At T-3, you will either need to first select different seats then what you reserve and complete check-in, then immediately go back and change your seat to the ones you just released.
T-24?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
T-24?
Flights From US: T-24
Others: T-36
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:47 pm

So if TAP cancels flight until the next day do you have to do the online check in process all over again?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:15 pm

Had no problems using the T-3 method with both TATL and intra-Europe flights last week. You can even select the more expensive preferred or exit row seats. Just select the seats you want when check-in opens, then complete the check-in steps without submitting payment. At T-3, you will either need to first select different seats then what you reserve and complete check-in, then immediately go back and change your seat to the ones you just released.
My flight is far ahead but I just selected the seats, both outbound and inbound, without paying.
So at T-3 I can complete OLCI for outbound simply selecting different seats and immediately go back reselcting the same seats I had? No issue with the inbound selected seats where TAP is also waiting for the payment?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Sciamano
My flight is far ahead but I just selected the seats, both outbound and inbound, without paying.
So at T-3 I can complete OLCI for outbound simply selecting different seats and immediately go back reselcting the same seats I had? No issue with the inbound selected seats where TAP is also waiting for the payment?
That's correct. As long as you have no payment due for the segment(s) you're checking in, it'll generate a boarding pass, which will then allow you to easily go back in and change to any open seats in your class of service.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:52 am

Just worked well for me for ZRH to LIS.
at exactly t-3hr I was able to select all seats (even in the front rows economy).
Will test TATL later but will be tricky as we have a short connection and will be in the air at t-3.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:21 am

I didn't even have to do that....

That's correct. As long as you have no payment due for the segment(s) you're checking in, it'll generate a boarding pass, which will then allow you to easily go back in and change to any open seats in your class of service.
...I selected the EE seats at T 36, when T 3 came around I didn't have to re-select...the icon just changed during the OLCI process to Free seat from Paid Seat
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
TAP's seats open up at T-3 hours, so feel free to change your seat then.
TP is becoming an LCC, with non-free bags and non-free extras.
Their "food" is still free.
So even in business I can select seats only at check-in? I am considering SFO - LIS because it’s the only non-stop flight but I am particular about my seats....
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ERtraveler

So even in business I can select seats only at check-in? I am considering SFO - LIS because it’s the only non-stop flight but I am particular about my seats....
I flew TP in J from SFO-LIS a few weeks back and was able to chose my seat when I purchased. I purchased my ticket on the TP website. Depending when you go, I purchased my ticket about two months before departure and most of the seats were taken on a Saturday departure.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Thanks for the quick reply. I am purchasing the tickets through a cruise line and they do not select seats. So wondering once I have the confirmation # if I can then go online and select seats. It will be that Sat. flt. next May.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Business class has free seat selection at any point.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:53 am

Just chiming in to say thanks and report that it worked like a charm for me as well the last few weeks on all segments intra-Europe. On the outbounds I was upgraded (did the lowest bid) on the 2nd leg so i'm not positive if that affected anything but I was able to select any seat I wanted on the 1st leg then exited and automatically got the boarding passes when the upgrade cleared. On the return flights I just started check-in when I got the email (not T-36 but more than T-24 so some strange in between period) and was able to pick seats, exit and secure them. Even when I had to check a bag and pay for it at the counter my exit rows were free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.