Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair's massive climbdown: will recognize unions to head off strike action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Originally Posted by Reuters
DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ryanair on Friday announced that it would recognize pilot unions for the first time in its 32-year history in a bid to stop the first pilot strike in its history from taking place later in the day.
Originally Posted by Irish Times
In a landmark move, the airline said it had written to the pilot unions in Ireland, Britain, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal inviting each of them to talks to recognise these unions as the representative body for pilots in Ryanair in each of these countries.

“Ryanair will now change its long-standing policy of not recognising unions in order to avoid any threat of disruption to its customers and its flights from pilot unions during Christmas week,” the company said.

The airline said it would recognise the unions on condition they establish “committees of Ryanair pilots” to deal with issues, noting the company would not engage with pilots who fly for competitor airlines in Ireland or elsewhere
Originally Posted by Ryanair
Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

“Christmas flights are very important to our customers and we wish to remove any worry or concern that they may be disrupted by pilot industrial action next week.

If the best way to achieve this is to talk to our pilots through a recognised union process, then we are prepared to do so, and we have written today to these unions inviting them to talks to recognise them and calling on them to cancel the threatened industrial action planned for Christmas week.

Recognising unions will be a significant change for Ryanair, but we have delivered radical change before, most recently when we launched Ryanair Labs and our highly successful Always Getting Better customer improvement programme in 2013.

Putting the needs of our customers first, and avoiding disruption to their Christmas flights, is the reason why we will now deal with our pilots through recognised national union structures and we hope and expect that these structures can and will be agreed with our pilots early in the New Year.”
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Next will then be cabin crew unions, and the list continues.

I wonder what this will mean to the structure and viability of Ryanair long term.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I wonder what this will mean to the structure and viability of Ryanair long term.
Viability wise, they'll probably increase prices and still survive just fine. FWIW it would be great for Ryanair to adopt Southwest Airlines current model, i.e. being more customer friendly. I find their 2 checked-bags + drink on board quite nice. The constant sale pitch on Ryanair flights is just annoying.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Viability wise, they'll probably increase prices and still survive just fine. FWIW it would be great for Ryanair to adopt Southwest Airlines current model, i.e. being more customer friendly. I find their 2 checked-bags + drink on board quite nice. The constant sale pitch on Ryanair flights is just annoying.
I don't think there is doom and gloom in the horizon, but yes the current pricing will probably become untenable. Which in term may lead to lower growth or even some cuts in the network.

I don't think we will see them coming close to Southwest in terms of customer friendliness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.