FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other European Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines-469/)
-   -   Norwegian - JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1876161-norwegian-jfk.html)

nordictat2 Nov 6, 17 2:38 pm

Norwegian - JFK

So I am flying out of JFK with Norwegian (first time long haul) this week.
Do they weigh carry ons? Also if I am a kg or 2 over...are they very stricht? I have 2 checked bags..paid for 2. I will pay ifor the extra kg or 2 if needed of course but just curious what others have experienced with them at this airport?
Thanks.

B747forever Nov 7, 17 2:28 pm

Have flown Norwegian from LAX to ARN/OSL/CPH/BCN and not once have they weighed my carry on. Have never checked in a bag with them, so not sure how strict they are with overweight luggage.

te1 Nov 7, 17 6:18 pm

Have flown Norwegian out of OAK 3 times, they weighed carry ons every time. Never been over weight limit, so I don't know how strict they are.

3galsontour Nov 8, 17 8:08 pm

Flew JFK to Gatwick last week. They were completely strict on the carry on allowance and made me put both my carry-on and my purse on the scale together. I was .6kg over so I had to wait in another line and then explain. I was excused my .6kg because I have to bring some food on board. But I explained I was happy to chuck the food and get something past the security check. So I am not sure what the overcharges are if incurred. They were ruthless with weight measuring - beyond anything I have ever seen. BUT - another person in line said that coming to JFK from Gatwick had no such stringent checks on weight allowance and they were lenient.. Upside to getting at or under the weight was much less time spent in lines at check-in.

Palal Nov 9, 17 4:16 am

Originally Posted by 3galsontour (Post 29038110)
Flew JFK to Gatwick last week. They were completely strict on the carry on allowance and made me put both my carry-on and my purse on the scale together.

Was this at the gate? Did you check-in online?

irishguy28 Nov 9, 17 6:28 am

Originally Posted by nordictat2 (Post 29027420)
Do they weigh carry ons?

The "norm" is that they do. The busier the flight, the more likely they are to strictly enforce the allowances. You should expect that they will.

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 29039147)
Was this at the gate? Did you check-in online?

A gate check is always possible - especially when it becomes apparent that friends and family seeing-off loved ones may have been "holding" some of the carry-on while the guest checked in, and the intending travellers arrive at the gate considerably more burdened.

Bogwoppit Nov 9, 17 7:38 am

I flew JFK to OSL recently. They weighed every single bag, then stamped your boarding card, no stamp and you could not go through security.

They were charging people for bags that were too heavy/big.

There is no online check in for flights from JFK with Norwegian. You stand in line with the masses and wait.

DeityAllah Nov 9, 17 12:37 pm

They are notoriously strict at JFK. I've flown them twice to Guadeloupe and will be flying them again in January to head back. If you know your going to be over, pay in advance on-line. I think was charged $130.00 for two bags which were slightly over.

asdca Nov 12, 17 4:27 pm

I did carry-on only JFK-LGW and back. At JFK, they weighed my carry on and purse at check-in (OLCI wasn't available) and I was under. At kiosk check-in, there was also a guy weighing bags. At LGW, the counter agent I checked in with didn't weigh my bags but the person one spot over was weighing everything for everyone. As a hedge, in case I was over (I don't think I was, but you never know how well-calibrated the scales are), I threw a sweater from bag over my shoulders, looped my headphones around my neck and placed my sheaf of travel docs on the counter so I'd have a bit of a cushion.

J S Nov 16, 17 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit (Post 29039683)
I flew JFK to OSL recently. They weighed every single bag, then stamped your boarding card, no stamp and you could not go through security.

They were charging people for bags that were too heavy/big.

There is no online check in for flights from JFK with Norwegian. You stand in line with the masses and wait.

I flew them last month. This was the process, but the person checking bags was a lot more relaxed. He only weighed the bigger bags (not personal items) and was fine if you were within a kilo or so.

Separately, the terminal was a complete mess. TSA seemed to be closed for a while, so lines were crazy. I asked why the check point was closed, and the line dragon snapped, "It's not closed," despite that being obviously untrue to absolutely everyone. Some people got to security without stamped boarding passes and had to go back. Others were trying to cut lines.

nordictat2 Nov 21, 17 11:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. Let's just say....I will never be flying with Norwegian or using JFK again. What a nightmare that was. It took me 2 days to get home from NY thanks to them canceling first flight and then delayed next days flight from 10pm to after 3am! Their staff at check in were so rude and I was over a 1/2 a kg (20.5) on 1 of my bags and I had to take it and repack it because he said we can't let any bags go past 20. kg mark onto the plane. I said...this isn't my first trip with Norwegian and i know that is not true. I was so stressed. I struggled quite badly trying to sort it as I was using a crutch. I never encountered such rudeness from Norwegian in Europe. So they are surely on my S*it list!

hughw Feb 4, 18 7:43 pm

Flying to Martinique next week....can't believe that there's no online checkin....I assume that there won't be TSA-Pre either...As a lifetime gold with United, I guess we're all kettles on Norwegian. More to the point, how much before flight time, must we allow at JFK? at FDF? Is 2 hours ok?

prgboy Feb 5, 18 3:39 am

My friend and I flew with Norwegian yesterday FLL-CPH. The strictness at check-in is completely arbitrary, even if you fly Premium. At one check-in lady, the bags were 1 and 7 kg over, she was thinking a bit then let me take a few light items away and let it go. She did weight my carry-on and seemed to be very happy to see it was only 9 kg. I've got a feeling that they count the total weight you are bringing and consider it OK if something is less and something over.
My friend checking at Premium counter (which was closed when I was checking-in) was 4 kg over on eitther bag, they did not make him shuffle the content and instead charged him 15 USD per kilo. They only wanted to see his carry-on, they even said to him: "I did not need you to put it on the scale, I just wanted to see it". Other times I flew beteen Europe and US, they always weighted the carry-ons. And many times they did not care what the weight of checked bags was, despite the scale was blinking with "over". So, you never know how it turns out with Norwegian. It depends on the HUMAN FACTOR.

J S Feb 5, 18 11:59 am

Norwegian does not participate in TSA-Pre. (There is a line for pre at JFK, but you cannot access it with Norwegian.)

2 hours is more than enough in my experience.

I agree with prgboy: they do weigh bags, but the degree of strictness is random.