Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

RYANAIR MADE €1.29bn PROFITS TO 30 SEPTEMBER BUT HAVE NO SOAP ON MALAGA FLIGHTS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, KLM, United, US Airways

On flight 602 from Glasgow Prestwick [PIK] to Malaga, Spain [AGP] on October 14th, 2017 there was no soap dispenser and hence no soap in the forward toilet. (I don't know if there was any in the rear toilets.)

When I asked a steward to provide soap, he said that there had been no soap on that aircraft for two weeks. He handed me the intercom and suggested I called “Michael” (O'Leary), the Chief Executive.

In addition to there being no soap in the forward toilet, by the last half hour of the flight there were no paper towels and the staff were unable to provide replacements.

On the return flight 656 from AGP to PIK on 17 October 2017 once again there was no soap in the dispenser in the forward toilet. (I don't know if there was any in the rear toilets.)

When I asked a steward to provide soap, he said that they did not have any spare supply on board the aircraft.

Later I found that the empty dispenser had been removed (I have a picture but apparently I'm not allowed to post it until I have 5 posts on here.)

I​ have made complaints about this through Resolver on 26 October but so far haven't had a response.

As readers may be aware Ryanair has cancelled flights affecting 700,000 customers from September 2017 through to March 2018 due to pilot shortages leading to holiday rostering difficulties. Some routes have been suspended for winter, including London Stansted to Edinburgh and Glasgow, Gatwick to Belfast, Newcastle to Faro, and Glasgow to Las Palmas.

I know that Ryanair​ have to save money somewhere to pay for all the pilots they are trying to recruit and re-hire but, surely soap is a basic Health & Safety essential​.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Another clear and perfect example of why never to book Ryanair.

Sure in most cases they are fine, and get you to your destination with zero problems. But once you start looking at the details, it is just not something I would ever subject myself to.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:54 pm

@ashscot50:

Which is exactly why this is called a "Low Cost Company" and it explains how, among others, they arrived to the 1.29bn profits you mention in your title.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by ashscot50

I know that Ryanair​ have to save money somewhere to pay for all the pilots they are trying to recruit and re-hire but, surely soap is a basic Health & Safety essential​.
It doesn't cost them anything to recruit and hire their pilots.

They charge them around 450 euros to attend the interview and the pilots pay for their own training.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/4750...plane-toilets/
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
I have never had the "pleasure" of flying with Ryanair.
I have no intention of ever flying with the carrier.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ANstar
They charge them around 450 euros to attend the interview and the pilots pay for their own training.
There are not many airlines that pay for pilots' training. And those that do usually deduct it from future earnings!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some airlines even charge you under the pay to fly scheme.. https://www.eurocockpit.be/campaign/stop-pay-fly
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:37 pm
Suspended

But how

There fares are so cheap, how do they make a profit?

Counting pennies like not having soap isn't going to help much!

Originally Posted by KLouis
@ashscot50:

Which is exactly why this is called a "Low Cost Company" and it explains how, among others, they arrived to the 1.29bn profits you mention in your title.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
There fares are so cheap, how do they make a profit?

Counting pennies like not having soap isn't going to help much!
The base tickets are cheap, but they mainly make their profits on ancillary revenue. Various fees, gotcha fees at the airport for the inexperienced travellers, and inflight sales. Plus turning every penny over in the operations, like seemingly under supplying soap, but mostly the staff constructs they have make their operations far cheaper than most other airlines.

With the price levels they offer every possible penny does count.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The base tickets are cheap, but they mainly make their profits on ancillary revenue. Various fees, gotcha fees at the airport for the inexperienced travellers, and inflight sales. Plus turning every penny over in the operations, like seemingly under supplying soap, but mostly the staff constructs they have make their operations far cheaper than most other airlines.

With the price levels they offer every possible penny does count.
Ah. So your saying its the cheap salaries that are the major cost saving?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
Ah. So your saying its the cheap salaries that are the major cost saving?
Well from a staffing point of view, pilots have to pay for their job interviews. Cabin Crew have to pay for their initial training etc

As some pilots are on freelance contracts it means any hotel accommodation on overnights needs to be paid by the individual not the company and the list goes on. I'm still surprised they have been able to get away with such shoddy work practices for so long.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by KLouis
@ashscot50:

Yet the other LCCs also make a profit, while providing soap.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
Yet the other LCCs also make a profit, while providing soap.
​​​​​​I did not check the recent numbers, but generally Ryanair has been outperforming the LCC rivals when it comes profit. They are very good at cost control.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
It's not like Glaswegians would know what to do with the soap anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.