Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair cancellations due to backlog of staff leave

Ryanair cancellations due to backlog of staff leave

Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Infrequent Ryanair Pax

As I am an infrequent FR passenger, i can’t say I’ve ever experienced any real issue with FR.

What I have paid for at time of booking has nearly always been exactly what I got from FR.

Occasional delays, the longest being 2 hours, is my worst experience.

Further occasional disagreements with gate staff about my bags, have seen my bags gate checked once, at no cost!

As as long as you are aware of what you should do most passengers will be fine.

As a passenger I am not a FR fan, but I use them as sometimes they really are the best option for me. While onboard I loathe the cheap tacky advertising and multiple announcements, wherein they are not that much different from my other recent carriers of choice, BA, Iberia and Aegean Air.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:15 am

Hey everyone, sorry for a dump question, but I had a flight from Cologne to Berlin, which has been canceled. There was no letter from Ryanair saying I can choose any other airline, so I claimed for a refund and bough ticket for train, the cheapest one of course with a very uncomfortable schedule, although there were Eurowings flights. Ticket is nonrefundable, a bit expensive than Ryanair tickets were, but can I get the money I paid for a train ticket?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lashkhi
Hey everyone, sorry for a dump question, but I had a flight from Cologne to Berlin, which has been canceled. There was no letter from Ryanair saying I can choose any other airline, so I claimed for a refund and bough ticket for train, the cheapest one of course with a very uncomfortable schedule, although there were Eurowings flights. Ticket is nonrefundable, a bit expensive than Ryanair tickets were, but can I get the money I paid for a train ticket?
You can only apply for one or the other - a refund of your ticket, or a brand new ticket at no extra charge.

You cannot have a refund AND also have them pay for a new ticket (that way, you would travel at no expense to yourself [free ticket], but rather with the receipt of additional money [refund of all monies you paid] in order to make the trip).

As you opted for a refund, you cannot now claim additionally for your train ticket, or even for the fare difference.

[Talk about having your cake and eating it too! Boris Johnson, eat your heart out!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I'd hope that a train from Cologne to Berlin wouldn't cost more than the 250 euro compensation for a cancelled flight (assuming there weren't circumstances that negated this compensation).

I'm still trying to make sense of when Ryanair might be on the hook for hotel expenses. The EU261 letter from Ryanair only mentioned hotels in the context of a flight rebooking (e.g., now flying out the following day) but certain news articles have talked about getting reimbursed for additional/unexpected expenses that resulted from a cancellation (I opted for a refund + 250 euro since the Friday flight was cancelled and the next scheduled flight on Monday would only get me there in time for my return flight).
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armus
I'd hope that a train from Cologne to Berlin wouldn't cost more than the 250 euro compensation for a cancelled flight (assuming there weren't circumstances that negated this compensation).
That compensation is for delayed arrival - which may be due to a cancellation of course, but not necessarily - the compensation is never just for "cancellation".

You can have a flight cancelled, be rebooked on another carrier, arrive within 3 hours of your original arrival time, and not be due compensation.

Or you can have a flight cancelled, ask for a refund, and that's the end of it! To be due for delayed arrival compensation, you must NOT accept a refund and must NOT rebook yourself, but travel on the airline's re-issued ticket.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:36 pm
soy

Programs: various
FR COO has resigned https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017...ir-coo-hickey/

At this stage one would have to wonder is it time for MO'L to go also?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That compensation is for delayed arrival - which may be due to a cancellation of course, but not necessarily - the compensation is never just for "cancellation".

You can have a flight cancelled, be rebooked on another carrier, arrive within 3 hours of your original arrival time, and not be due compensation.

Or you can have a flight cancelled, ask for a refund, and that's the end of it! To be due for delayed arrival compensation, you must NOT accept a refund and must NOT rebook yourself, but travel on the airline's re-issued ticket.
Not to break your theory, but I'd rather rely on what is written in the EC261 - you're somewhat forgetting the paragraphs about 50% reduction of compensation in case the flight is cancelled, but the passenger is transported to their final destination with arrival time not exceeding the originally scheduled time by 2 / 3 / 4 hours.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by on22cz
Not to break your theory, but I'd rather rely on what is written in the EC261 - you're somewhat forgetting the paragraphs about 50% reduction of compensation in case the flight is cancelled, but the passenger is transported to their final destination with arrival time not exceeding the originally scheduled time by 2 / 3 / 4 hours.
It doesn't break my theory and all I wanted to alert the OP to is that any cancellation does not automatically give rise to an automatic right to compensation.

And certainly not when, as the OP did, they arrange their own replacement ticket [which scenario could incentivise the passenger to book a ticket such that they arrive late with a compensable delay, even if quicker alternatives were available]
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by on22cz
I thought cancellation with reaccommodation on another flight that arrives arrives within two hours of the original scheduled time does not attract compensation?

Article 7 (with caveats to reduce by 50%) appears that it doesn't kick in if a cancellation results in arrival less than 2 hours?

Edited: I see compensation at reduced rates is applicable if you are re-routed, but not payable at all if you aren't re-routed.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Oct 10, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:22 am

You can only apply for one or the other - a refund of your ticket, or a brand new ticket at no extra charge.

You cannot have a refund AND also have them pay for a new ticket (that way, you would travel at no expense to yourself [free ticket], but rather with the receipt of additional money [refund of all monies you paid] in order to make the trip).

As you opted for a refund, you cannot now claim additionally for your train ticket, or even for the fare difference.

[Talk about having your cake and eating it too! Boris Johnson, eat your heart out!
Actually I got an e-mail saying that Ryanair will cover expenses difference even if I applied for refund
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I think there might be mixing of two different things going on.

Hotels, as I understand, are a question of duty to care, and may be also applicable when rerouting at a later date.

Compensation is compensation. That is due if the cancellation is done within 2 weeks of the flight, and an alternative flight is not provided with time difference within the frame outlined (-2/+4hrs or -1/+2hrs depending on timeline).

With regards to the train ticket; I would expect that a train would constitute a rerouting at passengers leisure, at least if Ryanair agreed to such an arrangement.

However the passenger clearly chose to be refunded as far as Ryanair is concerned, that is the end of it.
Unless Ryanair chooses to be good...
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The refund option doesn't preclude other forms of comp, certainly not by how I read the regs (nor Ryanair's since they refunded me and mailed a me a check for ~$280).

A note to US-based folks: there's apparently no need to provide any bank acct info (SWIFT or otherwise) since they'll just mail you a check from Dublin (in USD currency drawn on a US bank).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.