Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair cancellations due to backlog of staff leave

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair cancellations due to backlog of staff leave

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Well rats struck out twice MAD-DUB and back flight have been cancelled.

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:06 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
There's an article in the dutch media today: https://www.nu.nl/geldzaken/4927556/...-vluchten.html

Machine translation:
The Irish airline Ryanair expects 20 million euros to claim claims due to the cancellation of thousands of flights.
That said a company spokesman told Monday.

Ryanair announced last week of the week to fifty flights to the end of next month. The aviation organization tries to improve punctuality with the procedure. In the first two weeks of September, punctuality has fallen below 80 percent.

The company is struggling with a shortage of pilots. The employees still have a lot of holiday credit. And these days must be included before the end of the year.
Seems that various consumer-protection companies are getting involved to make sure compensation is going to be paid out.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:07 am Reason: Reduced extend of quote to three paragraphs per rule 9
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by thbe
There are three reasons, why Ryanair will cancel up to 2,100 flights in the next six weeks:
1. Many Ryanair pilots still have to take their holidays this year and Ryanair has forgotten those free days when making the duty schedules for the pilots.
2. Ryanair needs replacement aircrafts for increasing its punctuality rate over 80%.
3. Ryanair wants to be prepared, if it will get additional slots resulting from AirBerlin's insolvency.
Number 1 may only partially be correct. Ryanair hasn't "forgotten" about holidays. They have lost lots of staff, and need to bring their annual leave calendar into alignment with the calendar year, meaning they simply don't have enough staff to operate the planned schedule.

2 is not correct. You do not increase punctuality merely by adding replacement aircraft. (You could, if you had extra staff to operate these planes, and you then scheduled each plane to operate with far more time for turnarounds, "padding" schedules in the manner of legacy carriers. But FR doesn't have enough staff to operate even the current fleet, let alone any new/replacement aircraft, and won't pad schedules as that loses money. Planes only earn money when they are in the air, and Ryanair keep theirs in the air as much as possible).

3 is not correct. FR will gladly take more German market share, but again, kt is not going to cancel flights in September and October when AB routes may only stop operating in November. And FR will willingly dump its lower-performing routes to shift planes to other places to operate new, more lucrative routes without hesitation. It could start new routes at (relatively) short notice by scrapping routes elsewhere.

FR is interested in buying parts of Alitalia - but this action is seen as damaging its chances in that process.

Things are seriously wrong at Ryanair.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:39 am

I still think, that 1-3 are correct. We will see.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:16 am

According to The Independent, the cause of this problem is primarily the change in rules/dates concerning how Ryanair has to calculate maximum flight hours in a year. Or something like that. It's complicated.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7953251.html
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The next round of cancellations may be in response to a pilot strike, which is looking increasingly likely at FR.

Originally Posted by Irish Independent
Passengers flying Ryanair face the possibility of further disruption, with pilots threatening to go on strike at the airline in a move that could result in additional flight cancellations.

Three meetings attended by over 120 pilots at Ryanair took place in Dublin yesterday during which a ballot for industrial action was discussed, the Irish Independent reports.

Pilots in Ireland as well as their colleagues across Europe are expected to meet over the next two days to consider taking a "collective" approach.

Sources have told the Irish Independent that action which might be taken includes industrial action or alternatively staff might call in sick, in a move which could result in chaos for passengers across the continent.

It has also emerged that the airline has started to scour Brazil in a move to find pilots as it tries to maintain its flight schedule.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:32 am

If the pilots go on strike in the next six weeks, O'Leary will flip out, because he could save a lot of compensation if he canceled flights for that reason.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ryanair are only paying out for flights cancelled with less than two week's notice, as per the regulation. There was never much doubt but that they would (eventually) publish the list in full, if for no other reason than to limit their liability under this requirement.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Well I got a letter confirming full compensation is on the way. However I put in reasonable expenses of a train ticket from Tours to La Rochelle and they haven't included it.

An email/ complaint has been sent so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TographerE
Well I got a letter confirming full compensation is on the way. However I put in reasonable expenses of a train ticket from Tours to La Rochelle and they haven't included it.

An email/ complaint has been sent so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.
It sounds like you got an automatic payout on the basis of the cancellation, i.e. with no expenses included. Which is what all airlines should be doing in all such cases, without the customer even having to request the compensation. That is the easy part - they know exactly which customers are impacted, and how much each customer is owed in compensation. This is determined by circumstances and regulation, so no claim should be necessary in order for them to pay out.

Expenses are different - everyone will have a different claim. There is a separate link for claiming expenses; if you used the expenses claim form then that will be processed separately. If you didn't submit this expenses claim via this form, then that is something you should rectify.

Note that they only want a single expenses claim per booking, so put everything you think you can claim for in a single submission.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Thanks Irishguy.

I have submitted the exact form that you linked to. I submitted that on Saturday and had my compensation letter on Monday.

Will await to hear what they say but pleased in the first instance to get 250€ out of them!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TographerE
I have submitted the exact form that you linked to. I submitted that on Saturday and had my compensation letter on Monday.
I would expect that it could take many, many weeks before you get a reply to your expenses claim. Just be patient....you know they are busier than usual in that department right now.

Also to receive the compensation you have been informed of already could take some time. It took 15 days from confirmation of compensation to receipt of the money when I claimed from KLM this past summer. I would expect Ryanair to take (far) longer.

Both will be handled separately - so don't expect to receive expenses at the same time as the €250 transfer you have already been informed about. [They may even quibble about the expenses - this is FR after all!]
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:30 am

Ryanair cancellations

Ryanair have just announced a new round of flight cancellations from November until March with some routes being suspended.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

400,000 more passengers to be hit by Ryanair cancellations

And you couldn't come up with a more informative title?

Originally Posted by BBC News
Ryanair will cancel another 18,000 flights between November and March, affecting the travel plans of another 400,000 passengers.

It will fly 25 fewer planes to cut the risk of further flight cancellations.

More than 30 routes will be suspended this winter, including Stansted to Edinburgh and Glasgow, Gatwick to Belfast and Newcastle to Faro.

Earlier this month the Irish airline cancelled up to 50 flights a day through to the end of October.

Those passengers affected by the move will be offered alternative flights or full refunds.

They will also be offered vouchers of 40 euro (£35) one way or 80 euros return towards on alternative flights on top of any refund.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary said: "From today, there will be no more rostering-related flight cancellations this winter or in summer 2018.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryanair
Is there a list of routes that are suspended from November for the winter following these 25 aircraft groundings?
The following 34 routes are suspended for the winter season from November to March 2018

1. Bucharest – Palermo
2. Chania – Athens
3. Chania – Pafos
4. Chania – Thessaloniki
5. Cologne – Berlin (SXF)
6. Edinburgh – Szczecin
7. Glasgow – Las Palmas
8. Hamburg – Edinburgh
9. Hamburg – Katowice
10. Hamburg – Oslo (TRF)
11. Hamburg – Thessaloniki
12. Hamburg – Venice (TSF)
13. London (LGW) – Belfast
14. London (STN) – Edinburgh
15. London (STN) – Glasgow
16. Newcastle – Faro
17. Newcastle – Gdansk
18. Sofia – Castellon
19. Sofia – Memmingen
20. Sofia – Pisa
21. Sofia – Stockholm (NYO)
22. Sofia – Venice (TSF)
23. Thessaloniki – Bratislava
24. Thessaloniki – Paris BVA
25. Thessaloniki – Warsaw (WMI)
26. Trapani – Baden Baden
27. Trapani – Frankfurt (HHN)
28. Trapani – Genoa
29. Trapani – Krakow
30. Trapani – Parma
31. Trapani – Rome FCO
32. Trapani – Trieste
33. Wroclaw – Warsaw
34. Gdansk – Warsaw

All other of Ryanair’s 1,800 routes will continue to operate for the winter. Some have had schedule changes but customers have been offered alternative flights on their chosen route or a full refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.