Ryanair are thieves in my opinion

Old Sep 18, 17, 7:33 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,481
Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
Wow it sounds like the flight was overbooked and you were bumped (really badly)! Really poor customer service by the sounds of it.
It doesn't sound like that at all. There is certainly nothing in what the OP has stated that makes that sound like a possibility. If they were to bump, they would have far easier targets for bumping than someone with a paid seat reservation and priority boarding already holding a boarding pass; besides, according to their passenger charter, they don't overbook.

However, given that the OP has given no indication of why the airline thought the ticket/boarding pass was no longer valid - and why the OP seemingly booked the replacement flight themselves (rather than taking it up with Ryanair, and getting them to rebook them if there was a real mistake), makes me wonder if there is more to the story than we have been told...

To the OP: did you access your booking and/or print out your boarding pass from an internet cafť, hotel business centre, or somewhere else where other people may have obtained access to the records of your booking?

(That said, it's not possible to cancel Ryanair bookings, and it seems unlikely a malicious hacker would pay to change the flights - I don't have any active Ryanair bookings at present to go and check to see what mischief someone could cause to a booking without paying, but perhaps there are things that could be done to effectively "cancel" your flight. So you should pursue them more vigorously to explain how a reservation could be "cancelled", if this is their line of defence).

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 18, 17 at 7:42 am
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Sep 20, 17, 2:26 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It doesn't sound like that at all. There is certainly nothing in what the OP has stated that makes that sound like a possibility. If they were to bump, they would have far easier targets for bumping than someone with a paid seat reservation and priority boarding already holding a boarding pass; besides, according to their passenger charter, they don't overbook.

However, given that the OP has given no indication of why the airline thought the ticket/boarding pass was no longer valid - and why the OP seemingly booked the replacement flight themselves (rather than taking it up with Ryanair, and getting them to rebook them if there was a real mistake), makes me wonder if there is more to the story than we have been told...

To the OP: did you access your booking and/or print out your boarding pass from an internet cafť, hotel business centre, or somewhere else where other people may have obtained access to the records of your booking?

(That said, it's not possible to cancel Ryanair bookings, and it seems unlikely a malicious hacker would pay to change the flights - I don't have any active Ryanair bookings at present to go and check to see what mischief someone could cause to a booking without paying, but perhaps there are things that could be done to effectively "cancel" your flight. So you should pursue them more vigorously to explain how a reservation could be "cancelled", if this is their line of defence).
Hi irishguy28,

Thanks for your input. I guarantee there is no "more to the story". The reason I have given no indication of "why" is because I have absolutely no idea why and that's the reason I am writing here, to all who I consider experts. All Ryanair told me (at the gate and at the ticket office) was that my ticket had been cancelled some time between checking in and boarding. Neither then, nor now, has anyone at Ryanair told me who cancelled it or offered any proof, even though I have asked in writing back in June.

The other day, I spoke again to Ryanair (on chat) and was told I'd receive a reply within 24 hours (didn't happen). Then I contacted Ryanair again and was told within 7 days. Each time, I'm told something different. I have proof of all these conversations.

The reason I booked another flight myself was a) that is what the man at the Ryanair ticket office said I had to do and b) I absolutely had to get to my destination and Ryanair chat was closed. Can I ask what you would have done?

In answer to your other question, my boarding pass was printed at home and I also had it on my phone (secured).

Thank you very much for the link regarding Ryanair flights "cannot be cancelled". I appreciate it.

With kind regards,
maestro1981 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 17, 1:30 am
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,481
You need to get them to tell you in writing HOW a ticket can be cancelled - I've posted a link to their website above which shows that the passenger cannot cancel tickets. Therefore, the onus is on them to prove that it was you - given that there is no mechanism available to you to cancel tickets.

As regards the delay in hearing back, you may not have heard that Ryanair is currently experiencing the biggest customer-service cock-up in its history, having had to cancelled over 2000 flights in the next 6 weeks due to staff shortages and rostering problems, thereby disrupting the travel plans of hundreds of thousands of passengers. They are incredibly busy at the moment dealing with complaints, compensation claims, etc.

But stick at it.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Sep 21, 17, 9:45 am
  #19  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You need to get them to tell you in writing HOW a ticket can be cancelled - I've posted a link to their website above which shows that the passenger cannot cancel tickets. Therefore, the onus is on them to prove that it was you - given that there is no mechanism available to you to cancel tickets.

As regards the delay in hearing back, you may not have heard that Ryanair is currently experiencing the biggest customer-service cock-up in its history, having had to cancelled over 2000 flights in the next 6 weeks due to staff shortages and rostering problems, thereby disrupting the travel plans of hundreds of thousands of passengers. They are incredibly busy at the moment dealing with complaints, compensation claims, etc.

But stick at it.
Hi irishguy28,

Thank you for your information Yes, I've asked them that, but no response. But I will be sticking at it, I promise you that!

Yep! I'm so lucky I haven't got any Ryanair flights coming up (since this episode, I've 100% avoided them). However, this has just happened. My complaint/claim is from almost 4 months ago now
maestro1981 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 17, 10:47 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany
Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Posts: 663
Ryanair is well known for notrously treating their passengers rather bad (even their own flying staff - just look at the current discussion regarding cancelled flights and pilots requesting better conditions). This holds especially true in case that something goes wrong. What do you expect from an airline that officially stated that the european regulations regarding passenger compensation in case of cancelled or delayed flights does not apply them as they are a LCC (these compensations are not part of their calculations and they would have to raise the ticket price which they don't want)?

In your case, you can see a clear pattern. Promises regarding call backs and information - but nothing happens. They try to discourage you from taking action by promising answers that never come. That looks like it is intentional. So in the end - I am afraid - the one and only option you have is to bring them into court. In your case, best is to use one of these services already mentioned.
Scrooge McDuck is offline  
Old Aug 25, 18, 12:49 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: England
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
You don't have to take them to court yourself, you can use one of the claim agencies, just google "EU261 claim agency" and you should be able to find a few.
They usually take a commission which is part of the amount they get for you.
Contact a company called Resolver, they may be able to help. They have been successful at gaining compensation etc in other areas of poor service for a fair few friends of mine
Elixia is offline  
Old Jun 29, 19, 11:57 am
  #22  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Dear All, one year later and I have some news for you. I got a lawyer onto Ryanair and eventually (with legal threats), admitted that they were in the wrong and paid the compensation. It's taken a HUGE amount of time and effort and once lawyers fees were removed, I still lost money overall. Just goes to show that even with regulations, Ryanair do what they want generally without repercussions.
maestro1981 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:30 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South of London.
Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Posts: 13,302
Originally Posted by maestro1981 View Post
Dear All, one year later and I have some news for you. I got a lawyer onto Ryanair and eventually (with legal threats), admitted that they were in the wrong and paid the compensation. It's taken a HUGE amount of time and effort and once lawyers fees were removed, I still lost money overall. Just goes to show that even with regulations, Ryanair do what they want generally without repercussions.
I'm glad you have some sort of resolution even if you have not been made whole.

And its stories like this why I refuse to fly Ryanair.
CDTraveler and Koby like this.
USA_flyer is online now  
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:58 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by maestro1981 View Post
Dear All, one year later and I have some news for you. I got a lawyer onto Ryanair and eventually (with legal threats), admitted that they were in the wrong and paid the compensation. It's taken a HUGE amount of time and effort and once lawyers fees were removed, I still lost money overall. Just goes to show that even with regulations, Ryanair do what they want generally without repercussions.
Wow - that is awful! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Thanks for sharing, I'll think twice before giving them my business again.
gonebabygone is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 11:47 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South East England
Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
Posts: 521
Iím glad you got some resolution, albeit slow and inadequate. Iíve flatly refused to fly FR for a decade+ due to their consistently customer hostile policies. Iíve just relented after a combination of airports flight time and price made them the Ďobviousí way to start my next trip abroad. Having made the booking I immediately had buyersí remorse as I found I was dreading the airport and check in process rather than being happy or excited about starting my trip. Then I read your story and feel Iíve made a terrible mistake ... Iíll be delighted if I make it to my destination at all! Hope your future travels are more pleasurable.
CDTraveler likes this.
memesweeper is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:49 pm
  #26  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 49,682
Originally Posted by memesweeper View Post
Iím glad you got some resolution, albeit slow and inadequate. Iíve flatly refused to fly FR for a decade+ due to their consistently customer hostile policies. Iíve just relented after a combination of airports flight time and price made them the Ďobviousí way to start my next trip abroad. Having made the booking I immediately had buyersí remorse as I found I was dreading the airport and check in process rather than being happy or excited about starting my trip. Then I read your story and feel Iíve made a terrible mistake ... Iíll be delighted if I make it to my destination at all! Hope your future travels are more pleasurable.
We were very, very hesitant to fly Ryanair as well. But their nonstop fare from Berlin to Sofia was a fraction of what other carriers wanted for a connecting flight.

So we reluctantly bought a Flexi Plus ticket.

The experience at SXF was pretty miserable...half of the fault lies with SXF the other half with Ryanair check-in and boarding process.

Then the staff onboard refused to sell my wife a snack because we were in row 1 and she didn't realize she could buy a snack until they had passed by us. Which was just ODD. And stupid.

But with Flexi Plus we got row 1 with more legroom than European business class or US first class.

So it was a real mixed bag: cheap and nonstop with great legroom but more stressful than it needed to be at times.

Here is a blog post I wrote about the experience: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/08/...rlin-to-sofia/

Disclaimer: This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
kokonutz is online now  
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:26 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: FDH (Friedrichshafen)
Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Posts: 2,187
What happened to the OP is not unheard of. The thing that makes FR a false economy in many cases is this: If anything goes wrong, you are on your own.

The Golden rule of flying Ryanair is have a plan B. I will only ever even think of flying them on short, well plied routes, where there are reasonable and readily available alternatives, if it all goes bums up.

A recent example was SKG-ATH. My plan B was a 5 hour bus ride. In fact, with all the hoops you have to jump through with hand luggage sizes and whatever, I would actually take bus next time.

Congrats to the OP on getting a half reasonable (i.e. non-zero) resolution.
The_Bouncer is online now  
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:36 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Prisoner of EWR
Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA Gold
Posts: 50
FWIW, done dozens of flights on Ryanair, and other than the occasional packed jetway, or slow baggage claim at Stansted, its been pretty drama free within the context of what I paid for the flight.

I oddly respect what they do, which is minimalist short haul service with super standard product for bare bones fees. First time I got on, the lack of seat back pockets told me all I needed to know.
kokonutz, farci and nancypants like this.
wingnuthead is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:10 am
  #29  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
The thing that disturbs me, is that Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 was NOT followed and even when AESA (the official regulator) awarded the case in my favour (before I got the lawyer and after many months), Ryanair still refused to pay anything and ignored the situation. Thus, Ryanair were in breech of the official EU regulation (as from the official investigation by AESA), and yet there were no consequences! What is the point of having these regulations if airlines can get away with ignoring them? I wonder how many other cases are out there who give up more easily?
nancypants likes this.
maestro1981 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:24 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow, UK
Posts: 958
I succesfully used Resolver, a free dispute service in UK, to take Vodafone Broadband to task over poor customer service (don't ask!! &#129324. Companies have to sign up to Resolver and observe its Code of Conduct.

Imagine my surprise to find Ryanair cooperates with them!
kokonutz and nancypants like this.
farci is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: