Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair reduces checked bag fees, restricts 2nd carry-on to Priority Boarding pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair reduces checked bag fees, restricts 2nd carry-on to Priority Boarding pax

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
I have the same issue as the poster above. I often use Ryanair as positioning for long haul ex-EU flights and have never had my rucksack measured even when boarding last (it's around 55x35x25). As I'm usually travelling for a couple of weeks through multiple destinations with everything in that bag, I don't want it going anywhere near the hold for risk of it going missing.
Given the savings you are making (repositioning for ex-EUs implies you are doing this to save money), you may want to consider adding priority boarding to your positioning ticket. It is often offered for as little as £2.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I'll wait and see how this works.... I would always buy some form of priority boarding with Ryanair anyway. With this change, I see one of two things happening:

- It all becomes a lot more manageable, with people only paying for priority boarding if they really need the extra hand luggage.

- But on some (popular business travel?) routes, could it become unworkable as everyone on the plane buys priority boarding?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by teahan
Wrong. As a non-priority customer, the only hand luggage you are allowed to take on board is a small 35 x 20 x 20cm piece.

Although the press release is an unfortunate mess, the rest of their communication is very clear (video, FB page replies).
Interesting. I was referring to the answer given by Palal above, which stated that a large carry-on is still okay as a single item, but the fact that I've received two contradictory responses shows how unclear the press release was! I'll have to take a look at the FB page when I've finished work.

I guess this means that Ryanair now has a similar policy to Wizz. Priority boarding looks like even more of a no-brainer now.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Interesting. I was referring to the answer given by Palal above, which stated that a large carry-on is still okay as a single item, but the fact that I've received two contradictory responses shows how unclear the press release was! I'll have to take a look at the FB page when I've finished work.

I guess this means that Ryanair now has a similar policy to Wizz. Priority boarding looks like even more of a no-brainer now.
Wizz have just gone the other way, and reverted to allowing "normal" size cabin bags to be brought on board for free!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Re-reading their press release:
All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate.
So priority boarding gets 2 bags, everyone else get one smaller bag on board and one larger carry-on bag that goes in the hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.