Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP - Security Breach Cockpit Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Um, how do you know he/they weren't other TAP pilots?
Maybe the first passenger 3E but 1B definitely not as he was a teenager.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Seriously?
You don't have a clue about Portugese aviation regulations nor TAP corporate policy.
You just ignorantly assume that they are the same as Canada and Air Canada.
Show me where I said I knew Portuguese aviation regulations or TAP policy?

If you actually read my post I clearly asked: "Can anyone confirm if this is against aviation security regulations?"

I'm not assuming anything. Where did I even mention Air Canada? You are the one assuming.

I contacted Portuguese Aviation and Transport Canada because the flight originated in Portugal and was bound for Canada. I don't think that is unreasonable.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYTA
There's a similar thread on the El Al forum right now. Not sure about Portuguese aviation law but in most countries that sort of thing is at the Captain's discretion. I have been invited into the cockpit on El Al by the captain who was a friend of a friend. I sat in the jump seat for landing at JFK. I have a friend who's a captain on AA and I'm sure if I ever ended up on one of his flights that I'd be invited up there too.

That said, I'm glad you're not my neighbor as you seem like the type who would call the city to complain if my grass got too long.
Sorry, I don't think anyone other than the pilots should be in the cockpit during takeoff and landing ... they don't need distractions.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The time to voice your concern as publicly spirited individual was when the the incident happened, or when the flight landed.

Raising the issue now, through an internet chatroom, while seeking to out the flight attendant through his description is .. well, not very nice.
+1

Originally Posted by imverge
Outing the FA would be posting their name or better yet a photo.
Add me to the list of persons who might disagree with you. Listing the flight number, date, and the detailed description of a crew member is a form of outing.

Sorry, I don't think anyone other than the pilots should be in the cockpit during takeoff and landing ... they don't need distractions.
That's been made quite clearly.

You've reported it precisely to TAP and to multiple authorities. Since you apparently don't know that any violation has taken place, what's your reasoning for not simply leaving the personal attributes and seat numbers of the persons involved out of your FT post?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
...FAA term called Sterile Cockpit when below 10,000FT.
Why would anything FAA related be relative to a Portuguese airline flying between Portugal and Canada?

Well, what you think isn't really particularly relevant. This is actually a pretty common occurrence outside North America. I've personally been invited into the cockpit multiple times in-flight on various airlines and even for the entire flight including takeoff and landing one time.

Fortunately, the world does not revolve around the FAA.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Why would anything FAA related be relative to a Portuguese airline flying between Portugal and Canada?

Well, what you think isn't really particularly relevant. This is actually a pretty common occurrence outside North America. I've personally been invited into the cockpit multiple times in-flight on various airlines and even for the entire flight including takeoff and landing one time.

The FAA regulations are at issue since if this is something that indeed TAP allows - they also operate flights to the USA and fly over US air space.

Actually what I do think is relevant your opinion isn't.

I'm a passenger who has reported witnessing something that I consider a security breach and if this is something that is allowed on TAP. I won't use them again. SIMPLE.

Last edited by imverge; Jul 22, 2017 at 8:47 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The FAA regulations are at issue since if this is something that indeed TAP allows - they also operate flights to the USA and fly over US air space.
That's not how it works. Rules for cockpit access will be those of the country under which the airline's operating authority is issued. It does not change based on the destination or the airspace through which the flight flies.

Countries can add most restrictive rules for airliners operating in their airspace but that is the exception, not the norm. The UK, I believe, is one country that has such a rule.

US airline cockpit access was locked down well before I started in the industry in 1990 and was tightened further after 9/11. Many non-US countries tightened their cockpit access rules after 9/11 as well. I have no specific knowledge of the current rules for non-US airlines so can't add anything to what requirements may be for TAP.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:18 pm

Show me where I said I knew Portuguese aviation regulations or TAP policy?...
In your post #3 you wrote:

I am certain it's against TAP corporate policy for security reasons, especially during take-off and landing.
I behave like our Greek politicians: not only you assume you are always right, but when caught having made a mistake, you start screaming that "I never said that!".
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
In your post #3 you wrote:

I behave like our Greek politicians: not only you assume you are always right, but when caught having made a mistake, you start screaming that "I never said that!".
Being certain - doesn't = I know for a fact.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's not how it works. Rules for cockpit access will be those of the country under which the airline's operating authority is issued. It does not change based on the destination or the airspace through which the flight flies.

Countries can add most restrictive rules for airliners operating in their airspace but that is the exception, not the norm. The UK, I believe, is one country that has such a rule.

US airline cockpit access was locked down well before I started in the industry in 1990 and was tightened further after 9/11. Many non-US countries tightened their cockpit access rules after 9/11 as well. I have no specific knowledge of the current rules for non-US airlines so can't add anything to what requirements may be for TAP.
Thanks for your insight... but read my post #27 .

I have reached out to both the Portuguese and Canadian aviation authorities and will report back with their response.

Last edited by imverge; Jul 22, 2017 at 9:44 pm Reason: Added post 27
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Visitors in cockpit, four pilots lose licence

NEW DELHI: Strict rules framed post 9/11 prohibiting entry of passengers into aircraft cockpits seem to exist only on paper. In the past one week, three flights — two mid-air and one on ground preparing to take off — saw pilots allowing either their children, their friend's kids or general passengers in large numbers into the cockpit.
The directorate general of civil aviation (DGCA) has suspended the flying licence of the four pilots who allowed their or their colleagues children inside the cockpit mid-air on two flights. And the pilot of the third flight who allowed passengers inside the cockpit of a plane on ground being prepared to take off has been derostered, or taken off flying duties.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/33199583.cms
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320

Federal Aviation Administration introduced the Sterile Cockpit Rule. What is the Sterile Cockpit Rule?

It means that during take-off and landing - before the aircraft passes 10,000 feet on ascent and after it has passed 10,000 feet on the approach - pilots must focus entirely on “their essential operational activities” and “avoid non-essential conversations”.

“Sterile flight deck procedures are meant to increase the flight crew members’ attention to their essential operational activities when their focused alert is needed,” reads the code, which applies to all aviation authorities in the EU, including the British Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

The rule, which all airlines are required to enforce, forbids “any duties during a critical phase of flight except those duties required for the safe operation of the aircraft”, citing as example, calls for galley supplies, confirming passenger connections, or airline promotions over the tannoy.

It also bans flight crew members or pilots from “eating meals, engaging in nonessential conversations… and nonessentials communications between the cabin and cockpit crews, and reading publications not related to the proper conduct of the flight”. It states this rule applies below 10,000 feet, and during taxi, take-off and landing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...hy-definition/
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Having someone in the cockpit wouldn't necessarily breach the sterile cockpit anyway. If they sit there in silence and say nothing it will be sterile.

@imverge I bet you was the type to tell tales on your class mates.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Having someone in the cockpit wouldn't necessarily breach the sterile cockpit anyway. If they sit there in silence and say nothing it will be sterile.

@imverge I bet you was the type to tell tales on your class mates.
Well I guess when they do their investigation they can always listen to cockpit recordings

No, I'm the type that calls people out when they endanger my life and the lives of others. If you want to stay quite that's your right but your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I believe there is a lot of confusion over flight deck access rules, including rules relating to domestic operators designated by the countries aviation authority, rules in relation to foreign operators when operating in another countries airspace and also individual airlines.
So the question is; are flight deck visits allowed on Portuguese registered transport aircraft? Are flight deck visits allowed on aircraft bound for Canadian airspace? Does TAP allow flight deck visitors at the Commanders discretion?
It is important to realise that in many countries and airlines flight deck visits are still allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.