Norwegian Air - A Cautionary Tale

Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:03 pm

At the minimum you should lodge a complaint with the DOT https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
(I have not yet managed to get E261 compensation for my last trip but at least I got the taxi reimbursed after getting the DOT involved)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I think that is a pretty lost case, check in deadline is 1 hour before, they did not check in 1 hour before.

That they were waiting somewhere else and expecting the airline to offer check in services there is not really relevant.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:27 am

When arriving at Stewart they should have gone directly to the departure area and checked in for the Norwegian flight. They are 100% responsible for not checking in. You cannot check in at a departure gate.

This is sadly a mistake made by inexperienced travellers. They had plenty of time but did not check how to travel on totally separate tickets. A simple message to Norwegian would have clarified the process.
GFrye likes this.

Last edited by Bogwoppit; Nov 7, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

How was Norwegian supposed to know that the in-laws were waiting at the gate and that they wanted to "check in" at the gate?
The information on the Norwegian website states that you need to check in at least one hour before departure, and check-in takes place at the aptly named check-in counter, not at the gate.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by klmml
I've never flown Norwegian long-haul, but short haul I always thought they had an excellent product: nice cabin, good BoB selection, good crew, Wifi. A more pleasant experience than any other SH LCC I've experienced recently and even better than say SH BA in some ways (legroom in particular). But my last SH trips (HEL-LGW and return, a route I do with Norwegian several times a year) were a bit more problematic, at least in terms of the outsourced ground handling.
So most problems are with flights across the Atlantic (787 issues) and intra European flights are generally OK? More specifically operation in/out of Iceland.

I just booked KEF-BGO, not just for price but it's nonstop, with SK both the fares AND travel time double (connecting through OSL).
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gab787
At the minimum you should lodge a complaint with the DOT https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
(I have not yet managed to get E261 compensation for my last trip but at least I got the taxi reimbursed after getting the DOT involved)
What exactly should DOT do?

This does not warrant action either by DOT or in the EU under EC 261/2004. Both US and EU laws require passengers to meet reasonably-imposed deadlines established by the carrier.

The harsh reality is that the passengers here failed to check in on time and thus were denied boarding. That is common to almost all carriers in all situations. OP's parents were given the proper instructions when they finally called and simply did all of this too late.

I am no defender of DY and understand that it is very hard to deal with on all forms of EC 261/2004 compensation. But, on this one DY is correct.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by vincewy
So most problems are with flights across the Atlantic (787 issues) and intra European flights are generally OK? More specifically operation in/out of Iceland.

I just booked KEF-BGO, not just for price but it's nonstop, with SK both the fares AND travel time double (connecting through OSL).
There are the usual caveats of flying with a low cost carrier, but the intra-European network is fine. You're covered by the protections under EC261 (despite Iceland and Norway not being in the EU). I've never flown them ex-Iceland, but it looks like your aircraft operates BGO-KEF-BGO and e.g. looking at the rotation on 8.4 next year (DY 1172/1173) it's operated by a 73H (i.e. 738 with winglets) and it's operated by DY (i.e. Norwegian headquartered in Norway flying with a Norwegian AOC). So, standard intra-Europe Norwegian. There don't seem to be any other flights to Norway from KEF that day by Norwegian, so if it's cancelled and the loads aren't great there's a risk they'll make you wait for the next day's OSL and route you KEF-OSL-BGO. Your options for self-rebooking also get slim after the last SK flight has gone, and you can bet that DY won't put you on any other carrier if they can avoid it.

Frankly, I would be completely comfortable booking that flight. The SK options don't look fabulous and while connecting international-domestic at OSL has got easier over the years, if you have checked baggage you have to clear customs there (although I think this now means approving a picture of your bags on a computer screen rather than picking up your bags and walking through customs yourself).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:43 pm

An update on my situation and some questions to the experts...
Norwegian Air still refuses to compensate me under European Regulation 261/2004 for my 3-day delay back in August, and reaching out to resolver.co.uk did not help (Norwegian Air simply ignores all communication).
I am somewhat concerned that Norwegian Air might declare bankruptcy sooner rather than later (as Primera and WOW have done over the last few weeks) and I am consequently planning to seek redress in court as soon as possible.
I am still deciding between going to small claims court or using the service of one of those European websites that charge a roughly 30% commission to take the matter to court in Europe (such as AirHelp, EUClaim, FlightRight or refund.me).
What do you recommend? And if you think I should be using one of the European websites, can you help me pick one at of the four listed?
Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I can only speak to AirHelp. They were able to obtain compensation for my party of four from Norwegian under EU261 for a last minute ~16h delay on EWR-BCN. Payment took more than 3 months, but came through in the end.

Originally Posted by gab787
An update on my situation and some questions to the experts...
Norwegian Air still refuses to compensate me under European Regulation 261/2004 for my 3-day delay back in August, and reaching out to resolver.co.uk did not help (Norwegian Air simply ignores all communication).
I am somewhat concerned that Norwegian Air might declare bankruptcy sooner rather than later (as Primera and WOW have done over the last few weeks) and I am consequently planning to seek redress in court as soon as possible.
I am still deciding between going to small claims court or using the service of one of those European websites that charge a roughly 30% commission to take the matter to court in Europe (such as AirHelp, EUClaim, FlightRight or refund.me).
What do you recommend? And if you think I should be using one of the European websites, can you help me pick one at of the four listed?
Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:38 pm

(deleted)

Last edited by gab787; Feb 5, 2019 at 8:39 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:41 pm

Hello. This is hopefully my final update on the matter: I eventually decided to take the matter to Small Claims Court... and I finally received the full compensation I was seeking.
My main reason for taking this path is that I felt that the sites that charge a commission charge too much for the service they provide. 25-30% is typically only the base commission. If they need to take the matter to court, which I expected would be the case for me, commission typically increases to the ~50% range. And if they loose you might end up having to pay legal fees. Also they apparently cannot take the matter to court in France where no-win no-fee arrangements are frowned upon and where from what I read you can only be represented by a designated attorney (so a 261 case from one of those sites is likely to be thrown out on technical grounds) so the matter would have had to be debated in the US anyway.
The drawback is of course that you have to file a lot of paperwork and possibly take a day off to show up in court.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:02 am

How long

how long did the claim process take, OP, to receive your refund/reimbursement for the downgrade? We’re you still able to bring two 20k bags per premium?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Just FYI - Norwegian currently has 10 Dreamliners grounded. Risk of being put an a wet lease is very high.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Just FYI - Norwegian currently has 10 Dreamliners grounded. Risk of being put an a wet lease is very high.
RR issues still? How do they not have a handle on this yet?

My parents are scheduled OAK-ARN tonight. Supposed to be on HiFly A340 but the logical plane departed LAX at 1:51 this morning (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...830Z/KLAX/ESSA) so turnaround time will be very late to OAK. Presumably customs at OAK closes at some point so I won't be surprised if it cancels. Trying to research other options.

Edit: Annnnd they cancelled. Now gotta figure out plan b
WheelsUpGal likes this.

Last edited by ucdtim17; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:42 pm

No other Bay Area Norwegian flights today so they were offered connections in BCN or FCO tomorrow. Downgrade from Premium to separate middle seats in economy. They don't currently have any miles stockpile and I need to keep mine for flexibility with a planned CDG-OAK flight in a couple weeks. I tried to convince them to just pony up for a different airline today but without any other good options they're booked on OAK-FCO-ARN tomorrow, losing a day of vacation. I'm going to try to convince them to book a backup ticket on something in case the FCO flight gets canceled tomorrow and they're in the same situation again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.