Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

[Joon] IAG's LEVEL no longer the worst airline name!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Joon] IAG's LEVEL no longer the worst airline name!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Vueling is surely the worst, in that 98% of the population (including me) do not know how to pronounce it. View-ling? Vway-ling? Voo-ay-ling? Foor-ling? Foo-ay-ling? I heard somewhere that Bway-ling is most accurate, but I just don't believe that.

A brand that nobody can even talk about is a poor one.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
Your guess is as good as mine HIDDY! I don't quite understand what this new venture is meant to achieve.
Shelf space?
That’s why you get 35 flavors of Lay's chips (crisps) lining supermarket shelves. It's not just trying to satisfy market demand. It's also trying to elbow out competitors. The combination is what makes brand expansion to satisfy niche markets - an expensive proposition in any business - worthwhile.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
Vueling is surely the worst, in that 98% of the population (including me) do not know how to pronounce it. View-ling? Vway-ling? Voo-ay-ling? Foor-ling? Foo-ay-ling? I heard somewhere that Bway-ling is most accurate, but I just don't believe that.

A brand that nobody can even talk about is a poor one.
Bwe-ling - with 'e' as in bed, not 'ay' as in 'bay' - is more accurate, but the 'b' is somewhere between an English b and v, so native English speakers who aren't well trained in Spanish won't quite get it right. Also the Spanish 'ing' isn't quite the English 'ing', but since it's a (faux) anglicism one can't really claim the Spanish version is more correct there.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Bwe-ling - with 'e' as in bed, not 'ay' as in 'bay' - is more accurate, but the 'b' is somewhere between an English b and v, so native English speakers who aren't well trained in Spanish won't quite get it right. Also the Spanish 'ing' isn't quite the English 'ing', but since it's a (faux) anglicism one can't really claim the Spanish version is more correct there.
You are making the pronunciation more confusing!

Let us just call it fal'ling.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
You are making the pronunciation more confusing!

Let us just call it fal'ling.

I prefer failing.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Let's continue this discussion in the Other European Airlines forum

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
As it's based in Spain, what about 'Vamos or Venga' ?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:49 pm

If Air France took the millions of dollars they spent on rebranding and used it to lower fares, I'd bet you they'd get more millennials than would fly this airline specifically because it's "targeted" to them.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Worst name ever?

Ryanair
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:09 pm

Why didnt they name it "Jeun" rather than have a name that echoed Jun.

In case you didn't know, "Jeun" = Young en francais.

Oui, je suis American et je parle le francais
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Vueling is surely the worst,

I heard somewhere that Bway-ling is most accurate, but I just don't believe that.
It's a Spanish airline, so of course it's "Bway-ling".

But you can callit "Vway-ling" too, which would be the "accepted" English-language pronunciation.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
"This new brand has been entirely designed to meet their requirements and aspirations, with an authentic and connected offering that stands out in the world of air transport."

Is this a case of 'lost in translation' or one of 'management-speak'? What's an authentic and connected airline? One that actually exists and flies to places...?
Recently, the French also found out the new name of high speed trains (which used to be called TGV, for Train à Grande Vitesse) would be InOui. There has been much talk about this worst possible name recently.
The French seem to be be inspired these days.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by a330boston
Why didnt they name it "Jeun" rather than have a name that echoed Jun.

In case you didn't know, "Jeun" = Young en francais.
No, "jeune" is the French word for "young" - un jeune homme, une jeune femme.

Without the "e", "jeun" means something totally different; "être à jeun" means to not have eaten/drunk anything; "jeûne" means to fast; in that sense, if it's going to be a buy-on-board service, perhaps "jeun/jeûne" would have been a better name indeed
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28

But you can callit "Vway-ling" too, which would be the "accepted" English-language pronunciation.
As I said above, in southern British English at least, the ‘e’ in vueling (like vuelo) is much closer to the ‘e’ in bed than the ‘ay’ in bay – the latter is a diphthong in British English whereas the ‘e’ in vueling is not.

I appreciate the distinction is different in Irish/Scottish/Northern English, but in terms of how to approximate it in written English, I would definitely write 'bwe-ling' or 'vwe-ling' rather than 'bway-ling' or 'vway-ling', which I think are misleading.

Anyway… vueling as an absolutely stupid name. 
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Oh lol all this time I though it was "Voo-el-ing"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.