Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

[Joon] IAG's LEVEL no longer the worst airline name!

[Joon] IAG's LEVEL no longer the worst airline name!

Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I still think Scoot is pretty bad.

Has IAG ever consider Nova (like the car) for a Spain based LCC?
On that basis Allegro* would work well, perhaps that could be the new (honest) rebrand for BA.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
"We started with our target customer segment, the millennials, to create this new brand that means something to them. Our brief was simple: to find a name to illustrate a positive state of mind. This generation has inspired us a lot: epicurean and connected, they are opportunistic in a positive sense of the word as they know how to enjoy every moment and are in search of quality experiences that they want to share with others. Joon is a brand that carries these values", said Caroline Fontaine, VP Brand at Air France.
Unfortunately Ms Fontaine herself is not part of the target group...

(and full disclosure, neither am i).

As for the worst airline name, Air France has some form. How about Hop! ?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
United's Ted sub-brand was a pretty bad name as well.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
"This new brand has been entirely designed to meet their requirements and aspirations, with an authentic and connected offering that stands out in the world of air transport."

Is this a case of 'lost in translation' or one of 'management-speak'? What's an authentic and connected airline? One that actually exists and flies to places...?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Unfortunately Ms Fontaine herself is not part of the target group...

(and full disclosure, neither am i).

HOP! is actually not too bad. It created a short haul hop on and hop off feeling -- exactly what the airline is for. Personally I did like this name better than Vueling. HOP! is more focused and it is so simple that it leaves a big impression when customer saw the name. But after easyjet and HOP!, the other tries like Wizz, Vueling, Scoot or Level are pure attempt or copycat that went wrong. Another name come to mind if Lufthansa's LCC project name JUMP. Thank goodness they realised how bad it is and in the end did not use that project name.

Out of interests, Vueling sounds like fo-e-ling which sounds like Falling...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I must admit, I actually like the name Hop! It kind of suggests what it actually does, not like Level or Joon!

What's interesting is that in Air France's own press release they say ''Joon will not be a low-cost airline as it will offer original products and services that reflect those of Air France.'' So I guess this will be quite different to what Level is offering.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
How about the unfortunately named SCAT ? Guess it means something better in Russian!
Special Cargo Air Transport
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by chongcao
HOP! is actually not too bad. It created a short haul hop on and hop off feeling -- exactly what the airline is for. Personally I did like this name better than Vueling. HOP! is more focused and it is so simple that it leaves a big impression when customer saw the name. But after easyjet and HOP!, the other tries like Wizz, Vueling, Scoot or Level are pure attempt or copycat that went wrong. Another name come to mind if Lufthansa's LCC project name JUMP. Thank goodness they realised how bad it is and in the end did not use that project name.

Out of interests, Vueling sounds like fo-e-ling which sounds like Falling...
Wizz Air, Vueling and Scoot were actually started before Hop!.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
What a shame from the airline that gave us the best safety video I've ever seen. The AF one (linked on the BA video thread) just oozes class, I could watch it over and over. Strictly for the choreography.

If 'Joon' is supposed to imply 'jeaune', surely to french people that's just laughable, and to anyone else meaningless. It's like putting 'Yoof' on the side of an English airline

I think I might start up a branding/marketing consultancy, it seems to be a licence to print money for nothing, as long as you can come up with some aspiration faff to put around whatever you come up with in 5 minutes down the pub. Much like a lot of modern art, it's not the actual art that matters, just being pretentious enough in how you describe it to suck the right people in

As someone very much in the 'target demographic' for both, this and Level, are just cringeworthy. As others have said, Hop is to the point and does what it says on the tin. I still have no idea what Level is supposed to imply to anyone.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
They learnt from others mistakes...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
"This new brand has been entirely designed to meet their requirements and aspirations, with an authentic and connected offering that stands out in the world of air transport."

Is this a case of 'lost in translation' or one of 'management-speak'? What's an authentic and connected airline? One that actually exists and flies to places...?
Haha, management speak. You'll hear plenty of native English speakers in management positions coming out with this kind of nonsense, and taking themselves totally seriously doing so. I told several of my friends when I worked in such a place that if I ever started talking like this they were free to shoot me. Fortunately I got myself out. Does give the staff a good giggle though.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you for your information. I think I really mean 'after' in ranking wise rather than 'time' wise. But appreciate your input!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
What about 'Venga' ! Or even 'Vamos'.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by headingwest

What's interesting is that in Air France's own press release they say ''Joon will not be a low-cost airline as it will offer original products and services that reflect those of Air France.'' So I guess this will be quite different to what Level is offering.
Why aren't these people already flying AF?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why aren't these people already flying AF?
Your guess is as good as mine HIDDY! I don't quite understand what this new venture is meant to achieve.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.