Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

EasyJet will reimburse cost of missed flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi expert travelers, appreciate your advice on the below.

I had a return ticket on Air Italy between JFK and Milan MXP. While in Italy, i was driving around and taking one way smaller flights for 10 days.
The day of my return from Milan to JFK, my one way flight on EasyJet was delayed 3 hours causing me to miss my Air Italy flight.
I had no choice but to buy a new one way ticket on Emirates since that was the only other flight to NYC that day.

I had 4 hours in Milan between the original scheduled landing of the EasyJet flight and the departure of my Air Italy flight.
Do I have any leverage in requesting EasyJet to reimburse me for the extra one way ticket I had to purchase?

Thanks for the advise.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No.

Your contract with Easyjet was to get you to Milan. It has no liability relating to any other separate bookings you had.

Depending on the actual length of the delay (measured between scheduled and actual times of arrival) and the reason for the delay you may qualify for a fixed amount of compensation under the EU261/2004 regulation depending on the length (distance) of the Easyjet flight

You should contact your travel insurer re the missed flight to see what they may pay out. You should also contact Air Italy to see if any part of the fare is refundable (usually government taxes and airport fees). In fact your insurer will almost certainly require you to have contacted Air Italy first as it won't reimburse anything that Air Italy should refund.
nancypants and farci like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer.

Air Italy did give me a contact to get back airport taxes.
The Air Italy ticket was bought with Amex and the rep said that's it.

However, the EasyJet flight is only 1 hour long, looking at last 10 day history, it has landed on time, except that one particular day when it was delayed.

Still worth a shot asking EasyJet for some reimbursement? Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I must emphasise that Easyjet will not reimburse you anything for the Air Italy flight you missed. It has absolutely no liability. Just don't even ask them as you'd be wasting yours and their time.

You need to contact your travel insurer to see if your policy covers you/

You MAY qualify for delay compensation EU261 from easyjet if your flight meets the criteria. please provide the details for batter advice
nancypants and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jun 17, 2019 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
FYI, easyJet does offer self-connection insurance, when combined with certain carriers.

Once upon a time, MXP offered self-connection insurance, but that no longer seems to be the case.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Fox007d
Thank you for your answer.

Air Italy did give me a contact to get back airport taxes.
The Air Italy ticket was bought with Amex and the rep said that's it.

However, the EasyJet flight is only 1 hour long, looking at last 10 day history, it has landed on time, except that one particular day when it was delayed.

Still worth a shot asking EasyJet for some reimbursement? Thanks!
You will not get anywhere with EasyJet. You can do it to make yourself feel better but do not expect money out of it.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: FB Gold
Like the others mentioned here and in numerous other forums for other airlines, separate tickets are two separate journeys, so there is no "connection" that easyJet would be in any way responsible for. Easyjet is only responsable for any compensation under EU261 rules for its own flight if applicable so don't even bother mentioning your 2nd ticket on Air Italy.
farci likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Expensive lesson to learn about how separate tickets are indeed separate.

1. get good travel insurance
2. leave far more than 4 hours when using seperate tickets - with check-in deadlines, etc. you already have far less than 4 hours to play with...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.