Easyjet First Time Traveller

Old Jul 26, 17, 11:31 pm

Easybus have an appalling reputation. Poor timekeeping and very inflexible if you're delayed. I would never recommend them.
In any case, if you land at Gatwick, road transfer is purgatory. Take a train.
Old Jul 27, 17, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
Ironic, then, that Southern rail gets the lowest satisfaction scores in passenger surveys and frequently makes the national news in ways I don't recall easybus ever having managed to. Thameslink trains were referred to as "cattle-truck trains" in parliament a few weeks ago.

At least with Easybus (the route to Victoria is a National Express service) you are guaranteed a seat...
Old Jul 28, 17, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I've been following this thread with interest as I just booked my first EasyJet flight today and want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Could someone confirm that I didn't miss any hidden fees? I've never flown any ULCC anywhere so I'm a bit new to this club..

-Booked 2 adults one way BRS-NCL in October
-Standard fare
-Paid for two hold bags (one per person) at time of booking
-Did not pay to select seats (didn't seem worthwhile for such a short flight. No problem if we can't sit together/get middle seats)
-Did not pay for any other extra services

So my next steps are:

-Check in online within 30 days of departure
-Drop hold bags at least 40 minutes before departure.

Will arriving at BRS about 90 minutes prior to departure (8:30am Saturday departure) be enough to drop bags and get to the gate? Did I miss anything else that might cause me to be charged extra?

There's also a question upthread about the insurance being preselected. When I went through the booking process it was not preselected. I made sure of this.
Old Jul 29, 17, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Lost View Post
-Did not pay to select seats (didn't seem worthwhile for such a short flight. No problem if we can't sit together/get middle seats)
Very unlikely that you won't sit together. On domestic routes there is lots of last minute bookings, which means quite a few empty seats up to a day or two before. As longs as you check in at least week before you are almost guaranteed seats together.

So my next steps are:

-Check in online within 30 days of departure
-Drop hold bags at least 40 minutes before departure.
Correct

Will arriving at BRS about 90 minutes prior to departure (8:30am Saturday departure) be enough to drop bags and get to the gate? Did I miss anything else that might cause me to be charged extra?
Plenty of time at BRS, no problem with that. Just make sure you only have 1 piece of hand luggage as you are standard fare with no SB. And 1 piece means 1 piece! Even small laptop bags, handbags etc... all counts.

There's also a question upthread about the insurance being preselected. When I went through the booking process it was not preselected. I made sure of this.
This was the case many many years ago. easyJet stopped this practice at least 7 years ago!
Old Jul 29, 17, 6:24 am

Programs: BA
To be honest these days there is not much between easyJet and say British Airways on short haul. You need to pay for seats, bags, food, drink etc on both.

You can also check in at the airport desk and get a boarding pass if you were unable to pribt it at home, but as said above downloading the app is the best way to go as you can get the boarding passes and it also tracks the flight information.

If planning on purchasing food or drink on board I'd suggets the prepay vouchers... you save 20% fromt he price you'd be paying onboard http://www.easyjet.com/en/bistro-boutique?link_megadrop
Old Jul 29, 17, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by lehovec View Post
Very unlikely that you won't sit together. On domestic routes there is lots of last minute bookings, which means quite a few empty seats up to a day or two before. As longs as you check in at least week before you are almost guaranteed seats together.

Correct

Plenty of time at BRS, no problem with that. Just make sure you only have 1 piece of hand luggage as you are standard fare with no SB. And 1 piece means 1 piece! Even small laptop bags, handbags etc... all counts.

This was the case many many years ago. easyJet stopped this practice at least 7 years ago!
Thanks so much.

I was wondering about the cabin bags. I normally carry on a normal school sized backpack, while my companion typically takes on a slightly larger hiking style backpack plus a purse. Looks like the purse is going in my bag.
Old Jul 29, 17, 11:36 am

Dimensions are on the website - just make sure your bags conform and you'll have no issues, although easyJet often force cabin bags to go in the hold if overhead bin space is going to be tight.

I don't think you meant your backpack is the size of a school.
Old Jul 30, 17, 3:49 am

Thanks so much.

I was wondering about the cabin bags. I normally carry on a normal school sized backpack, while my companion typically takes on a slightly larger hiking style backpack plus a purse. Looks like the purse is going in my bag.

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
although easyJet often force cabin bags to go in the hold if overhead bin space is going to be tight.
Small backpacks are never gate checked-in, unless massive. Both of your backpacks should be allowed on even if the lockers are full as they normally go under the seat. (unless hiking backpack is huge).
Old Jul 30, 17, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Or consider EasyBus, which if booked sufficiently early, can be as cheap as 2 per person each way between Gatwick and London. It should go without saying - allow PLENTY of time for your transfers - choose a bus that will get you back to the airport earlier than you really need to be there.
In November I am flying into Heathrow, and then I am flying EasyJet out of London Southend (times didn't work right at other London airports). None of the busses/shuttles seem to serve Southend airport. Can anyone recommend a way to get from Heathrow to Southend?
Old Jul 30, 17, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mknoebel View Post
In November I am flying into Heathrow, and then I am flying EasyJet out of London Southend (times didn't work right at other London airports). None of the busses/shuttles seem to serve Southend airport. Can anyone recommend a way to get from Heathrow to Southend?
Ha, well it's a long way, but it's not too tricky.

To get to Southend Airport you want to take the train from either Liverpool Street or Stratford station in east London. These trains run every 20mins Mon-Sat, every 30mins on Sunday. You have three options to get there from Heathrow:

- Piccadilly Line to Holborn, then change to Central Line to Stratford - about 1h15 mins. Cost is 5.10 peak/3.10 off-peak for the Tube. Then 13.70 peak/13.20 off-peak for the train, which takes about 45 mins from Stratford.

- Slight variation on above - Piccadilly Line to Holborn, then change to Central Line to Liverpool Street - about 1h10mins. Again 5.10/3.10 peak for the Tube, but then 16.40 peak/16.20 off-peak for the train, which takes about 54 mins from Liverpool Street. Not much point paying 3 extra for this option vs option 1.

- Heathrow Express to Paddington, then Circle / Hammersmith & City line to Liverpool Street - about 50 mins. Cost of HEX if you buy 3months in advance is 5.50 on weekend, 12.50 on weekday, plus 2.40 for the Tube journey, then 16.40/16.20 for the train. This option is worth it at the weekend price, less so for the weekday price, but an arguably less tedious journey than Tube the whole way.

Above times are from Heathrow T2/3 station - add an extra 5-10 mins from T4/5.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 30, 17 at 2:23 pm
Old Jul 30, 17, 4:16 pm

Thanks Ldnn1,
It would be a Sunday morning. Flight gets in about 05:55, flight from Southend leaves at 13:20.
Old Jul 30, 17, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by mknoebel View Post
Thanks Ldnn1,
It would be a Sunday morning. Flight gets in about 05:55, flight from Southend leaves at 13:20.
In that case I would go with the Heathrow Express 90 day advance 5.50 ticket - buy online at heathrowexpress.com.

For the Tube from Paddington to Liverpool Street, it's easiest to use a contactless debit/credit card... do you have one?

Most important thing - keep an eye on any engineering works which may affect the usual train service to Southend. Works are most likely to take place on a Sunday. Check at http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/trave...ce-alterations in a couple of months time. If there are works planned, you'll need to check alternative routes and factor in the additional journey time - ask back here for advice in that case.

In any event, you have loads of time to make the transfer, so you could easily fit in a stop for brunch en route. Somewhere around Liverpool Street would make most sense - there are lots of good places in/around Spitalfields market which is just round the corner from the station. Breakfast Club is always good, or Aubaine in Broadgate Circle does a very reasonable free-flow prosecco brunch.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 30, 17 at 4:44 pm
Old Jul 30, 17, 10:24 pm

Very helpful. Thank you!!
Old Jul 31, 17, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by lehovec View Post
Small backpacks are never gate checked-in, unless massive. Both of your backpacks should be allowed on even if the lockers are full as they normally go under the seat. (unless hiking backpack is huge).
At 20cm for the smallest dimension, I wouldn't have thought a school bag or backpack would have qualified. We need dimensions to be accurate.