Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Czech airways - how to purchase ticket from US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Hi;

I'd like to go PRG-BUD in September. When I check the Czech airways site, it doesn't have a US option. Should I just choose Canada?

Expedia, Orbitz, don't seem to show Czech, at least on that route. Neither does Delta.

Any reason not to use the Czech Airways site, choosing Canada as my home country (I know I'll pay in CAD)?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE, A3*G, AA-EP, UA*S,
It shouldn't matter which currency you book in. If you search the flight from Google Flights it'll link you to the booking page for various OTA's as well as OK's site.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by swgsword
It shouldn't matter which currency you book in. If you search the flight from Google Flights it'll link you to the booking page for various OTA's as well as OK's site.
Google flights show the flights on OK, but when I click through for Orbitz or Expedia, it doesn't show on the OTA site.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you have a credit card with no foreign transaction fees, just use the Czech site and select English. It will charge you in CZK which your CC will convert to USD. Otherwise, use an OTA like expedia or priceline (just tried BUD-PRG and it worked fine) and you get 24 hour free cancellation.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE, A3*G, AA-EP, UA*S,
What dates are you looking at? I was able to click through the expedia link and it led me to expedia.ie (in EUR).

It doesn't work on expedia.com US site, correct, it seems.

And, it seems for most dates, a ticket issued in CZK is more than the ones issued from a EUR point of sale.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I emailed them about this same problem and they told me that they were working on the problem, but for me to log in as being in Israel and the flights would show in US dollars. That works.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Since I'm putting off work at home decided to go to CSA.cz web site (in English by default).

Allowed me to go through to select name and payment, so assume you should be able to use that instead of czechairlines.com

It's been a few years, but IIRC that's how I booked my MAD-PRG flight from Dallas.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
My impression is that they simply haven't filed the fares for the US POS. This explains why the European Expedia can see the flights, but the US version of the same website cannot.

Which means that you cannot buy these from the US with the 24h cancellation protection..

However you can still buy from any website with another POS (eg UK, CZ, HU, DE or other). Just make sure you compare prices, as they can differ a lot. Also take credit card fees into account, and possible differences in the fare rules.

By the way, I dont know what dates you are looking for - but Ryanair has fares on this route this winter season starting from 65 euro roundtrip.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios

By the way, I dont know what dates you are looking for - but Ryanair has fares on this route this winter season starting from 65 euro roundtrip.
Yes, Ryanair is set to start flying this route this later this year, don't recall what date. Not daily IIRC.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
Hope someone can help....bought tickets on the CSA website from CDG - PRG from Canada...flight is operated by AF. Neither during the booking process nor afterwards can I reserve seats. Thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cruzcap
Hope someone can help....bought tickets on the CSA website from CDG - PRG from Canada...flight is operated by AF. Neither during the booking process nor afterwards can I reserve seats. Thoughts?
You'll have to select seats on AF.com using the AF locator, which may be different from the OK locator.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:09 am

I thought maybe so...all I have is the CZ locator....maybe I can request the AF one from CZ?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you call AF and tell them your ticket number, they should be able to give you their record locator and possibly assign seats during the phone call.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by cruzcap
I thought maybe so...all I have is the CZ locator....maybe I can request the AF one from CZ?
Minor note, CZ is short for Czechia, but it is China Southern (IIRC) call letters. Czech Air is OK ..... Pun not intended
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:57 am

And of course ...AF can see my ticket but tell me they cannot select seats even though they are operating the flight...and I am willing to pay. Perhaps I will try calling back and get another agent...or just have to wait until check in..the flight was almost half price booking through CZ....maybe it is going to be a small inconvenience to save the cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.