Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyway to change a one-way booking to return with Norwegian

Old Jun 7, 17, 7:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

So I booked some one-way travel with Norwegian within Europe. My plans changed so I'd like to now change the travel but this will make it a return trip instead.

I understand I have to pay a change fee but the online system won't let me change it to a return trip, I can only rebook as a single trip.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 7, 17, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Any particular reasons it has to be return trip as opposed to booking one way for your return journey?
Old Jun 7, 17, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by inpd View Post
Any suggestions?
You mean, apart from the obvious suggestion*?

(*Buy a new one-way ticket for your return journey - in case it has to be stated)
Old Jun 7, 17, 8:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lehovec View Post
Any particular reasons it has to be return trip as opposed to booking one way for your return journey?
Original ticket was a one way ticket from USA to Europe. But it turns out I'll be in Europe anyway so I wanted to turn it into some internal Europe travel.

The original trip cost $300 per person and one way within Europe is not even $100 per person. So I'd like to take the one way booking and make it a round trip booking so as not to leave any "money on the table" as they say.

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 17, 8:41 am

huh? so how does changing a one-way to a r/t for which you will not take the first segment helps?
If you do not need to take the trip, the best option is probably to change it to a later date and/or trying to sell it, as the name change fee will also be cheaper than the 300$ you might lose.
Old Jun 7, 17, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Original ticket was a one way ticket from USA to Europe. But it turns out I'll be in Europe anyway so I wanted to turn it into some internal Europe travel.

The original trip cost $300 per person and one way within Europe is not even $100 per person. So I'd like to take the one way booking and make it a round trip booking so as not to leave any "money on the table" as they say.

Thanks!
That makes no sense.

A "return" ticket would require you to end up back where you started. [could it be that you want to keep the ticket as a one-way, but in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION???]

You can't add sectors to an existing booking without paying change fees and fare differences (which is likely to add substantially to the price already paid).

There is no scenario in which any change you make to the ticket would see you "leaving any money on the table", and I genuinely can't figure out what your thought processes here are.

If you want to buy new sectors for travel in Europe, then buy them as new tickets. It's by far the best/chepest/easiest way to achieve what it appears you want to achieve.

If - as the previous poster suggests - you instead want to NOT take your USA to Europe flight, then all you can do is request a refund on the taxes and charges. You may get a refund of a few tens of dollars, nothing more. If you attempt to take a later, second sector that may be on that same ticket, without having already flown the sector from the USA - then you will find that the ticket has been voided.

Please - explain more clearly what exactly you are trying to do. Describe the itinerary that your ticket currently shows, and tell us the itinerary that you now want to use the ticket on.
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Rather than using terms which are unclear, why not tell us exactly what you hold for a ticket now and exactly what you want to wind up with.
Old Jun 8, 17, 3:10 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
It sounds like the OP wants to change the ticket from:
A-->B
to
C-->D-->C (where A is in the US and B, C and D are in Europe)
Old Jun 8, 17, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the OP may be used to doing something similar with US carriers, when it comes to European airlines, you can't "cash in" an inflexible ticket and expect to use the money paid to change to a completely different ticket.

If that's what the OP meant by "leaving money on the table", then the fact that they went and arranged alternate travel to get them to Europe means that that is, in fact, what they did.

Perhaps what the OP should be doing is to turn to the provider of the OTHER ticket to Europe, and get THAT money back off that table.

However, we won't know for sure until the OP states a) the itinerary of the current ticket and b) the itinerary of the desired ticket, as their two messages so far contain contradictory information.

Hi,

So I booked some one-way travel with Norwegian within Europe. My plans changed so I'd like to now change the travel but this will make it a return trip instead.

I understand I have to pay a change fee but the online system won't let me change it to a return trip, I can only rebook as a single trip.

Any suggestions?
A: one-way travel within Europe -> return travel within Europe
B: one-way travel USA-Europe -> "some internal Europe travel"

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 8, 17 at 6:15 am
Old Jun 8, 17, 8:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
It sounds like the OP wants to change the ticket from:
A-->B
to
C-->D-->C (where A is in the US and B, C and D are in Europe)
Correct. I essentially get paid to visit a place and give talks.

I'm booked OAK->ARN (SF to sweden) as a gateway entry to Europe for a pleasure trip which I paid for.

Then I got booked to give a talk SF to CDG on the exact same day of the OAK-ARN trip. So I would like to use the OAK-ARN itinerary as a round trip booking from CDG for a leisure trip after.

Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 17, 9:56 pm

So I would like to use the OAK-ARN itinerary as a round trip booking from CDG for a leisure trip after.
Post 6 then.
Old Jun 9, 17, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I would like to use the OAK-ARN itinerary as a round trip booking from CDG for a leisure trip after.
Not possible. The best you could do is ask for a refund of taxes - but not all the fees/taxes/surcharges would be refundable. There will also be an administration fee deductable from your refund amount.
Old Jun 9, 17, 7:08 am
GVA

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silverberg, Hilton Diamo, Bonvoy LTT, United Sliver, LH Unelected fool, Carrot Rewards
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
While the OP may be used to doing something similar with US carriers, when it comes to European airlines, you can't "cash in" an inflexible ticket and expect to use the money paid to change to a completely different ticket.
With one fairly large exception, easyJet with whom you can pay the change fee and change to any other route.
Old Jun 13, 17, 9:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thankfully your wrong!

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Not possible. The best you could do is ask for a refund of taxes - but not all the fees/taxes/surcharges would be refundable. There will also be an administration fee deductable from your refund amount.
Not correct.

It is not possible to make the change online but if you call up Norwegian then they will make the change from a one way flight to a return flight. The good news is that because it was a change to a domestic route the change cost was only $60 per ticket. They didn't even charge me the human operator booking fee. Yeah Norwegian.
Old Jun 14, 17, 12:24 pm

As a side question- have Norwegian stopped the direct LGW to Berlin SXF route?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: