FlyBe ABZ-MAN

Old May 26, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
FlyBe ABZ-MAN

Might be in Aberdeen and the Flybe flight to Manchester seems a good option (4500 Avios + £25) and I don't have to backtrack through LHR.

Any issues with these flights?
Old May 26, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
What sort of issues are you expecting ?
If BE mainline it will probably be on a Q400 but possibly an E75/95

If operated by loganair on behalf of BE it will be a prop.

Flybe get bad press. But generally flights are on time ish, service is BOB and the offering is half decent with card and cash accepted.

cs
Old May 26, 2017, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
What sort of issues are you expecting ?
If BE mainline it will probably be on a Q400 but possibly an E75/95

If operated by loganair on behalf of BE it will be a prop.

Flybe get bad press. But generally flights are on time ish, service is BOB and the offering is half decent with card and cash accepted.

cs
Wasn't sure about their timekeeping etc. or where they actually arrive.

Not being offered for cash through BA.com.
Can though do ABZ-LHR-MAN for £104 and that's not too bad. Lunch in the CCR although only 6 free seats near the back on the first flight and 4 middle seats up to MAN!
Old May 26, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, BA oik, TK pleb, EY Hoi Polloi
I'd think you're looking at a Dash-8 Q400 turboprop on that route most of the time.

Flybe don't allow headphones for takeoff and landing, which I find annoying given flight times of 60 minutes, and almost half of that can be classed as "taking off or landing."

But in the grand scheme of things, it's a minor complaint. the last flights of the day are the most delayed as these planes are up and down the country several times a day and the delays seem to stack, but generally they're not too far off the mark.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: SPG Gold, BA oik, TK pleb, EY Hoi Polloi
I'm slightly incredulous as to why you'd even want to go via London!

Is Lunch in the CCR worth tripling the distance of your journey? Has BA shorthaul service hit a new benchmark that must be experienced to be believed? Do you simply have more time than you know what to do with? Or is it an excuse to get more TPs?

If none of the above, I'd go direct with flybe, without a second thought...
Old May 26, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pheonix254
I'm slightly incredulous as to why you'd even want to go via London!

Is Lunch in the CCR worth tripling the distance of your journey? Has BA shorthaul service hit a new benchmark that must be experienced to be believed? Do you simply have more time than you know what to do with? Or is it an excuse to get more TPs?

If none of the above, I'd go direct with flybe, without a second thought...
It's only 10TP / 1250 Avios in cheapo economy so that's not worth really going out of my way for.

Free weekend anyway so I'm in no rush whatsoever. Never flown Flybe so that will be a difference experience.

Already having lunch and a few glasses of bubbly tomorrow in the CCR
Old May 26, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Flybe have turned themselves around recently.
A family member is on the Manchester Aberdeen route with monotonous regularity. On time most of the time. Arrives T3 at Manchester.
There's a fair balance between Dash-8 and E175/E195. The crash-8 is fun for a change and the E jets are lovely.

of course the CCR has a long way to come up before its at the level of the Manchsster arrivals lounge experience: a can of special brew in the spar at T3 arrivals.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:16 am

Been impressed with FlyBe's LCY service, I certainly wouldn't add a connection to avoid them. Nothing particularly special (but doughnuts are always appreciated), but not any worse than BA.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse

of course the CCR has a long way to come up before its at the level of the Manchsster arrivals lounge experience: a can of special brew in the spar at T3 arrivals.
And I shay to you... you... don't... don't knock it ... don't knock it till you've tried it... *hic*

I actually don't think the FlyMaybe name is at all fair, all my flights have been on time, and I always think their crew are lovely.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Was my airline of choice on LON-INV with no issues.
Fly BE have had a few wobbles in the past and the tie-up with Logan air might not have helped.... but I would not fly Abz -Lon- Man to avoid them!!
Old May 26, 2017, 8:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Lets continue this discussion in the Other European Airlines forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 26, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I use that flight all the time too - you've all forgotten the BIG thing!
Their new gin bar!
6 gins - some very good ones too!
I've had one cancellation in all my years flying them - I'm going down this weekend too actually. I have also gone via LHR to use some Avios when I had plenty time too.
Also, you can now book a cash ticket and use part-pay with Avios if that suits?
Old May 26, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Be aware the overhead bins on the Dash-8s are too small for most carry-ons, and I find the planes a bit noisy -- but the sectors are typically quite short.

the Avios earning rate per flight is hilariously bad.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
If the Avios ever actually turn up.

Remember, you get a free checked bag with Avios issued tickets on Flybe even though it says you don't.

Every time I did MAN-ABZ last year it was a Dash 8 which was ok. I know Flybe has got better in recent years, but I just don't like the airline. Never have done, never will. Although the irregularities have got a lot less.

I don't think Loganair codeshare on the ABZ route, but they do on INV and they offer free catering.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Just an update from my weekend trip. I fly them a lot, and this weekend just reminded me how meh their cabin crew are. Not really robotic, but they never ever seem interested and look like they don't want to be there. No friendly welcome, sales sales sales en route and yesterday they were too interested in giggling with the pilots to say goodbye or have any interaction with the passengers. Not a one-off that - a bit of a generalisation maybe - just the way they are I suppose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.