Ryanair seat allocation algorithm

Old May 16, 17, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Ryanair seat allocation algorithm

According to Lucian's useful website*, seats on Ryanair are/were allocated in this order, from A to F:

33, 20, 19, 22, 15, 24, 12, 26, 10, 28, 8, 30, 18, 21, 14, 23, 11, 25, 9, 27, 29, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 17, 16, 31, 32

This matched my experience and it was possible to predict which seat you would get by checking the seat plan before check-in to see which seats were still available to be purchased.

I now believe it to have changed so that seats B or E are allocated to solo passengers not paying for seat allocation.

Any thoughts?

*http://flights-blog.lowcostroutes.co...at-on-ryanair/
Old May 16, 17, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888 View Post
...I now believe it to have changed so that seats B or E are allocated to solo passengers not paying for seat allocation.

Any thoughts?
Initial thought is you were allocated a centre seat when you didn't expect one
Franky16 likes this.
Old May 17, 17, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
You can almost always buy a seat from 2.

If it is so important that you get a particular seat that you keep coming back constantly, waiting to check-in until you think you are next in line for that seat - why not just pay the 2 and save yourself the hassle????
Attached Images  
Old May 17, 17, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Initial thought is you were allocated a centre seat when you didn't expect one
Yes, and I noticed 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A all empty yet B and C in each row were occupied
Old May 17, 17, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You can almost always buy a seat from 2.

If it is so important that you get a particular seat that you keep coming back constantly, waiting to check-in until you think you are next in line for that seat - why not just pay the 2 and save yourself the hassle????
Because I've been waiting for the 13 or 15 seats!
Old May 17, 17, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'm spoiled on my FR routes then!!! 13 is "Front Row Seat" level pricing for me! (Which I incidentally consider the worst seats in the house. I hate rows with no under-seat storage....particularly on FR where the lack of seat pockets really means you do need a bag to hold your sundries.
Old May 17, 17, 2:57 pm

I have noticed this too...only in the last week.
Old May 19, 17, 10:22 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold, Tinder gold
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888 View Post
According to Lucian's useful website*, seats on Ryanair are/were allocated in this order, from A to F:

33, 20, 19, 22, 15, 24, 12, 26, 10, 28, 8, 30, 18, 21, 14, 23, 11, 25, 9, 27, 29, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 17, 16, 31, 32

This matched my experience and it was possible to predict which seat you would get by checking the seat plan before check-in to see which seats were still available to be purchased.

I now believe it to have changed so that seats B or E are allocated to solo passengers not paying for seat allocation.

Any thoughts?

*http://flights-blog.lowcostroutes.co...at-on-ryanair/
Not true.

As a solo traveller, I always check in as late as possible (mere hours/minutes before departure) and always get a window or aisle seat in either the first few rows (most likely) or the last few rows, allowing quick and easy boarding.

It makes sense for Ryanair to keep the best seats to give away as late as possible. For example, why keep seat 15B until the end as no-one ever would pay last minute for this, while some might still do for 3C?

My experience is that they are screwing you over when you check in as solo traveller on the earliest of occasions, giving bad seats in the hope next time you will pay extra.
Old May 20, 17, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i checked in for a flight yesterday for monday, solo traveller, on business only 2 hour flight so didn't pay for a seat and got 10A. So no middle seat for me
Old May 22, 17, 2:38 am

just checked in for weds return, on 9C so i think the above theory is pretty wrong
Old May 23, 17, 10:53 am

it also appears the algorithm is now out of date.

A colleague who is on the same flight just checked in (a day after me) and she is in 24D
Old May 26, 17, 3:01 am

It seems Ryanair is now operating a policy of deliberately separating families and travel companions in order to generate revenue from paid seating options.
https://www.google.it/amp/www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-flights-middle-seats-assigned-passengers-pay-reserve-changed-seating-policy-a7750581.html%3Famp
Old May 29, 17, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Good to see Simon Calder is onto this.

We just need Lucian to update his site to show the new algorithm! Lucian, if you're reading, flyertalkers will give you lots of clicks on your site if you do this!
Old May 29, 17, 9:42 pm

I think I can guess the answer to this, but once online check in has been done and seats have been allocated, will Ryanair allow seating changes at the airport?
Old May 30, 17, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grando View Post
I think I can guess the answer to this, but once online check in has been done and seats have been allocated, will Ryanair allow seating changes at the airport?
Absolutely, but you will have to pay the €15/15 boarding pass reissue fee, together with the fee for whichever seat you end up in. A motivated check-in agent may also try to charge the €50/50 airport check-in fee.

So it's cheaper to just pay for the seat you want in advance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: