FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   TAP Portugal Fare Classes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/1841346-tap-portugal-fare-classes.html)

1353513636 May 8, 2017 9:26 am

TAP Portugal Fare Classes

I booked a fare on TAP Portugal on an OTA and I'm seeing the fare basis from the fare basis info on TAP's website as U15DSC (forgot the rest). However, I noticed that booking the exact same fare on TAP Portugal's website states that only 10% miles will be earned (I know this is only for TAP Victoria). I also saw a thread on the Turkish Forum that someone bought a V fare on TAP only to be told that it was actually E.

Is this a common occurrence with TAP that fares are sold as one class and credited as another? I was hoping to credit to Asiana Club where E fare only earns 10% and U fare earns 50% so makes a decent difference.

Also, do flights on White Airways codeshare earn miles?

Palal May 8, 2017 10:22 am

White Airways is basically like United Express - so whatever you would have gotten on TP you'd get on White.

Send a private message to TAP on fb or twitter and ask them what the fare class is for mileage crediting. Based on the fare it sounds like it should be U.

1353513636 May 8, 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 28283834)
White Airways is basically like United Express - so whatever you would have gotten on TP you'd get on White.

Send a private message to TAP on fb or twitter and ask them what the fare class is for mileage crediting. Based on the fare it sounds like it should be U.

On TAP's website though it says no miles for the White Airways segment.

pinniped May 9, 2017 12:00 pm

Interesting: I'm just now looking at this and trying to figure out which fare to book.

When I look on ITA Matrix, I find a U fare that appears to map to the very bottom ("Discount") fare on TAP's website. Using my A3 number, U appears to earn 50% of the miles flown.

But when I look one fare class higher than U on ITA Matrix, it is O, and that earns zero on Aegean. Haven't seen an E, although E is also in the zero-miles list for Aegean.

If you buy up to "Classic", so that affect the underlying fare basis? Fare difference isn't that much on the TAP site.

1353513636 May 9, 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 28289067)
Interesting: I'm just now looking at this and trying to figure out which fare to book.

When I look on ITA Matrix, I find a U fare that appears to map to the very bottom ("Discount") fare on TAP's website. Using my A3 number, U appears to earn 50% of the miles flown.

But when I look one fare class higher than U on ITA Matrix, it is O, and that earns zero on Aegean. Haven't seen an E, although E is also in the zero-miles list for Aegean.

If you buy up to "Classic", so that affect the underlying fare basis? Fare difference isn't that much on the TAP site.

O, E, T is 10% for Asiana Club, the fact that O is higher than U is unusual, perhaps not properly updated. Asiana Club has a few of them, most notably, LOT Polish, that the accrual chart was clearly not updated when the carrier changed fare structure.

Buying up to classic does not affect the fare basis assuming the fare basis is simply the first letter of the fare.

Discount would be U15DSC, classic would be U15CSC.

What I'm trying to figure out is if TAP changes the fare basis to prevent mileage accrual on partner programs like United does with N fares.

For example, for a United flight:

City pair: SFO-SEA
Fare class: N
Fare basis code: LAA4AQBN

Disclaimer: I haven't flown a Basic Economy fare yet so I don't know how it credits to partner programs.

pinniped May 9, 2017 12:56 pm

General question: is TAP kind of seen as an LCC in general? Not that it matters *too* much... I've only vaguely been aware of them over the years, and now out of the blue I'm seeing $420 R/T's to Rome with free stopovers in Lisbon, a city I've always kind of wanted to visit.

Seems too good to be true. Even if I don't earn any/many miles in the process.

1353513636 May 9, 2017 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 28289332)
General question: is TAP kind of seen as an LCC in general? Not that it matters *too* much... I've only vaguely been aware of them over the years, and now out of the blue I'm seeing $420 R/T's to Rome with free stopovers in Lisbon, a city I've always kind of wanted to visit.

No but they're slowing becoming one. They are one of the few airlines left to serve full meals in Y intra-Europe, but they have recently added charges for seat selection and bags even for long haul routes (free bags for *G still though) and their C seats and lounges are subpar although they are working on that.

Palal May 9, 2017 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 28290359)
No but they're slowing becoming one. They are one of the few airlines left to serve full meals in Y intra-Europe, but they have recently added charges for seat selection and bags even for long haul routes (free bags for *G still though) and their C seats and lounges are subpar although they are working on that.

Their "full meals" have long become sandwiches + drinks.

The $420 fare includes no checked bags (unless you have *G)

IAN-UK May 9, 2017 9:36 pm

Truth is that economy class on all European airlines seems to be converging on the LCC model.

At least TP livens up the journey within Europe with a drink and something to eat (but that'll be about as far from a full meal as you can get :D).

tff May 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 28291169)
Truth is that economy class on all European airlines seems to be converging on the LCC model.

And the US airlines' as well.

pinniped May 11, 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 28290430)
Their "full meals" have long become sandwiches + drinks.

The $420 fare includes no checked bags (unless you have *G)

All of that is okay. Looks like they do late-night departures out of JFK, so we'd eat on the ground. And I *might* find my way back to *G before this trip. But even if not, the cost of buying up one or two tickets to cover a checked bag or two isn't that bad.

I will probably have 1 paid J trip U.S.-to-India and a couple other *A flights this year. Need to figure out how close all of that can get me back to Gold. My previous path was A3, but I don't actually have any flown segments on A3 metal, so my journey there is now double what it would otherwise be.

Palal May 12, 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 28297900)
All of that is okay. Looks like they do late-night departures out of JFK, so we'd eat on the ground. And I *might* find my way back to *G before this trip. But even if not, the cost of buying up one or two tickets to cover a checked bag or two isn't that bad.

Long-haul flights include a meal, but no bags for the cheapest fare.

Upon Boarding Jul 7, 2017 6:18 pm

I found a cheap fare on the TAP website: AMS-LIS-DKR-LIS-AMS on 9/25 and back on 10/11. Does anyone know where I can find the purchased fare class? I don't see it anywhere on the website. I want to credit my miles to UA and I know that the lowest fares do not accrual miles. I see 4 different fare types on the screen and the difference is not that huge so I'm willing to pay some extra in order to earn more miles. Does anyone know where I can find the fare codes?

Palal Jul 8, 2017 5:45 am

Their site doesn't allow seeing the fare class, but you'd have 24 hours to cancel for free if you don't like it.

Ask them on FB.

Upon Boarding Jul 8, 2017 6:51 am

So I will be able to see the fare class instantly after I purchased the ticket?