Welcome back, Loganair!

Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:28 pm

Looks like Carlisle tickets are up for sale with a 4th of July starting date: Dublin, Belfast and Southend. Would like to make a weekend of claiming some new airports for my flight history but with neither Saturday flights to/from SEN (which I'd love to include as it's where I grew up) or public transport links to Carlisle itself, could be tricky. But then, that's half the fun...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Some of their fares are extortionate - over 500 GBP for 2 pax to fly GLA-KOI-INV!
Is that one way or return? I too baulk at the fares but I guess in the low cost airline world paying a realistic price seems an anathema. Ł125 each way to avoid a long train journey and a ferry crossing doesn't seem quite so bad...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
Looks like Carlisle tickets are up for sale with a 4th of July starting date: Dublin, Belfast and Southend. Would like to make a weekend of claiming some new airports for my flight history but with neither Saturday flights to/from SEN (which I'd love to include as it's where I grew up) or public transport links to Carlisle itself, could be tricky. But then, that's half the fun...
Some of the flights will be operated by Estonian based NyxAir. So you may not get the total Loganair experience of exceptionally friendly crew and Harris Tweed antimacassars.

(Just realised that I've made a massive slight against Estonian cabin crew. Sorry!)
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Some routes are super expensive but with almost no competition: eg I had a trip to Stornoway a few months ago where the alternative to a 45min flight was a full day driving and ferry etc! And they are a lot of fun to fly with 😁
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sealink
Is that one way or return? I too baulk at the fares but I guess in the low cost airline world paying a realistic price seems an anathema. Ł125 each way to avoid a long train journey and a ferry crossing doesn't seem quite so bad...
One-way.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Loganair back to profitability, and worried avout EU261...

BBC News - Flight delay court cases could close routes, says Loganair boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-49108378
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Loganair has launched their own app! Available on Google Store and App Store.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Loganair are replacing Flybe on the East Midlands to Glasgow and Edinburgh routes from the winter timetable.

I wonder what other changes we will see Flybe making, and if Loganair will take over any more routes?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/09/19/loganair-to-take-over-two-of-flybes-scottish-routes-from-east-midlands/
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Sealink
Loganair back to profitability, and worried avout EU261...

BBC News - Flight delay court cases could close routes, says Loganair boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...iness-49108378
EU261 is an airline killer. The EU either needs to revise EU261 or many more European airlines will go insolvent unless ticket prices increase considerably.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
EU261 is an airline killer. The EU either needs to revise EU261 or many more European airlines will go insolvent unless ticket prices increase considerably.
I fail to see why it's a bad thing airlines are forced to compensate passengers if they can't keep to their contractual obligations to the detriment of said passengers. Those airlines should indeed go insolvent.

Though I would say that the judicial decisions related to the regulation (not the regulation itself) are in several cases going too far.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I fail to see why it's a bad thing airlines are forced to compensate passengers if they can't keep to their contractual obligations to the detriment of said passengers. Those airlines should indeed go insolvent.

Though I would say that the judicial decisions related to the regulation (not the regulation itself) are in several cases going too far.
Well, the amount of compensation is in many cases larger than the amount paid for the ticket. And expecting airlines to always run on time is absolutely ludicrous - there are too many issues that can arise from maintenance to weather to even crew staffing that cause flight delays. And once a plane is delayed, that has a domino effect on every flight that day on that particular aircraft.

With the number of airlines that are going insolvent in Europe, that should be a hint that EU261 is too generous. Ticket prices need to rise significantly in order to fly Europe profitably with EU261.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:16 pm

Well, the amount of compensation is in many cases larger than the amount paid for the ticket. And expecting airlines to always run on time is absolutely ludicrous - there are too many issues that can arise from maintenance to weather to even crew staffing that cause flight delays. And once a plane is delayed, that has a domino effect on every flight that day on that particular aircraft.

With the number of airlines that are going insolvent in Europe, that should be a hint that EU261 is too generous. Ticket prices need to rise significantly in order to fly Europe profitably with EU261.
From what I understand, weather and a number of other factors outwith airlines control are excluded from EU261. Besides, what stops airlines from increasing prices "significantly"? I'm sure that if the increse would make them more profitable, other "unprofitable" airlines would follow the suit...... Or at least extending minimum connection time to fight passengers who book cheap tickets with the MCT on an off chance that airline will screw up?

If the alternative is what they have over in America, I say thank you, but no thank you.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:34 am

What do you base that on? EU261 costs are already covered in the ticket price and have been for years. The only time I recall them being listed seperately was by Ryanair and it was all of 2 Euro per journey.
Internaut likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ft101
What do you base that on? EU261 costs are already covered in the ticket price and have been for years. The only time I recall them being listed seperately was by Ryanair and it was all of 2 Euro per journey.
Yep, from an airline’s perspective there is nothing unmanageable about EU261, and it incentivises airlines with bad ops to consider the many benefits of doing better.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Yes, these are some of the reasons I think the judiciary went too far. Things considered within control of the airline that really shouldn't. Perverse incentive to prefer small number of passengers affected greatly as opposed to larger number of passengers affected mildly. etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.