Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair to serve FRA & MUC starting W17/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ryanair will start operations ouf of FRA, basing two B737 there:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rya...urt-2016-11-02

and LHs stark response:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...from-lufthansa
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
And the brainstorming begins on how to make the A320neo even worse than it is these days.

And no more sandwiches on European routes of 90 minutes or more .
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
At first 4 leisure routes from FRA which is good for the holiday crowd, so not a direct competition on LH business routes. Will FR operate from T1/T2?

I think if they do open more routes with attractive fares it might appeal to the business crowd too. Only thing i would keep in mind is frequencies and in case of irrops. FRA is served by a lot of companies some multiple on same routes. I would be mortified if my FR flight was cancelled (no rebooking on other airlines possiblke) but would see other companies still operating a flight to my destination.

The a320 neo toilets at the back are almost the same as iron maidens!
Then again there are still toilets and for free so it's a double edged sword
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
I'm happy to see LCCs finally arrive at FRA (more that the odd route or two), a market I think could benefit from such operations and provide competition. I'm personally disappointed that London routes are not (yet) there, as I think this could be a good opportunity. But perhaps that will come later.

What is interesting is a statement from Frankfurt airport (from https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...rt-rhein-main/)

...Fraport says, .... The basis of this cooperation will be formed by meeting the special requirements of low-cost airlines via customized processes and operations, which also facilitate short turnaround times. In the medium term, Fraport will also meet the increasing demand for low-cost offerings by adapting passenger and terminal processes accordingly.”
So it will be interesting to see what this means. Will they open a "tent" on the area where T3 will be built? Or how will they adapt the current terminals?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
So it will be interesting to see what this means. Will they open a "tent" on the area where T3 will be built? Or how will they adapt the current terminals?
Maybe something similar to AMS, with a dedicated LCC terminal completely disconnected from the rest of the complex.

I somehow don't think LH will want to share...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Maybe something similar to AMS, with a dedicated LCC terminal completely disconnected from the rest of the complex.

I somehow don't think LH will want to share...
There were plans for T3, and then there weren't....and now it seems that Fraport might need to actually get going on the project especially since they are giving away 40% off coupons for LCCs to come and set up shop.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
There were plans for T3, and then there weren't....and now it seems that Fraport might need to actually get going on the project especially since they are giving away 40% off coupons for LCCs to come and set up shop.
Hope it won't be as shabby as T2.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by weero
Hope it won't be as shabby as T2.
T2 certainly needs a facelift. Granted the pre-security isn't bad and the food court upgrade is nice, but they RUINED the observation deck with that ridiculous mesh fencing. Impossible to take a proper photo. Big fail!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:08 am

Work in ongoing on T3 where the broke ground about 1 year ago, but it won't be open for some time.

I just hope that they improve the connections between the terminals. I don't see the current skytrain being able to handle much more than it currently does, as it is always packed and getting off at T2 is a hassle.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:59 pm

T2 certainly needs a facelift. Granted the pre-security isn't bad..
Bolding mine - that says it all.

Post security, T2 isn't salvageable. Maybe it can be retired.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:05 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Or it might be the CPH concept - check-in, security and duty free (so the airport can make money on retailing), but then a dedicated gate area adjusted to the LCC needs.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
And now WizzAir joins the FRA party.
per airlineroute:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-may-2017/

WizzAir this year is extending its network to Frankfurt (FRA), where it’ll initially operate 1 daily round-trip flight from Sofia. In winter 2017/18 schedule, the airline will launch daily round-trip flight from Budapest.

Reservation for both routes opened last week.

Sofia – Frankfurt eff 22MAY17 1 daily
W64329 SOF1235 – 1400FRA 320 D
W64330 FRA1440 – 1805SOF 320 D

Budapest – Frankfurt eff 15DEC17 1 daily
W62311 BUD1450 – 1635FRA 320 D
W62312 FRA1715 – 1845BUD 320 D
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Lufthansa will just have to create yet another new subsidiary airline to compete

"Destinations-that-begin-with-a-B-and-depart-on-a-Tuesday-with-an-odd-number-of-passengers-wings"
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
that subsidiary should come quickly.

Ryanair announced today 20 destinations as of Winter season

Ryanair is ramping up its expansion at Frankfurt airport with 20 new routes and the deployment of seven planes at the home of German rival Lufthansa.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:20 am

There is a bit more detail on https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...urt-expansion/

Where it states; (bolding by me)

Although Ryanair will have a modest start at Frankfurt later next month by October it will be serving no fewer than 24 destinations. Others are set to follow in the future if all goes well.

At a press conference in Frankfurt this morning, Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary outlined his plans which, initially, will see two B737s based at Frankfurt with a further five aircraft to follow by late October (which is the start of the winter timetable). In the long term Michael O’Leary indicated that his airline might base as many as 20 aircraft at Frankfurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.