Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Czech Airlines - required to show CC at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Czech Airlines - required to show CC at check in?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vabsh
LondonElite, I'm not looking for bad guys behind every tree, it's just this airline prooved to be very unreliable and that is a fact. I tried to give them a chance and they messed everything up. I'll try to get my refund for the two flights but also for the extra luggage fee, since by default they allow only 15 kg (which is another problem with this company that I haven't mentioned earlier). Since the card used for the booking is cancelled, now I have another problem how to receive the refund, but I'll sort that out with my bank.

Now, about the EC261. I'm not an expert, so feel free to correct me, but according to the rules at: http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/info-and..._zakazniku.pdf, I'm afraid that I can't qualify for a compensation, because, I quote:

"The above financial compensation is not provided to passengers who were informed of the flight cancellation:

Earlier than 14 days before the scheduled time of departure, or

• Between 14 and 7 days before the scheduled time of departure and who were offered rerouting allowing them to depart no more than 2 hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach final destination not later than 4 hours after the scheduled time of arrival, or

• Less than 7 days before the scheduled time of departure and who were
offered re-routing allowing them to depart no earlier than 1 hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach the final destination not later than 2 hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
"

I belong to the first group of passengers, if I'm not wrong...
Apologies, in all the other excitement I forgot that your trip isn't until mid-November so no EC261 payment. So the airline cancelled a flight. Big deal, it happens to thousands of flights every day of the year. CSA has an obligation to get you to your destination within a reasonable timeframe of you can have your money back. It's a pretty standard consumer service approach. I'm not sure what else you expect?

When you have been given your options by CSA please post them here so that we can judge whether they are reasonable or not. No one here is a CSA apologist.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
UPDATE: As I said previously, I decided to stop complaining and blaming as it leads nowhere. I just wrote them politely that I would appreciate a written confirmation that credit cards are not required at the check in and I thanked them in advance. In few days, they politely and clearly answered that the card is not required and that I should not worry. I was very satisfied with this answer (no miscommunication / misunderstandings / uncertainty this time), so I just relaxed and I stopped posting here, cause there was no need. I even thought that the admin should close this thread. BUT right now I received an sms and an email saying: "we are sorry to inform you that the flight in your reservation **** was cancelled (flight OK849)". Great. Now I must find a way to get my money back. I hope that they'll refund me not only for the cancelled flight, but also for the connecting flight which I will be unable to take. This also affects my accomodation bookings and many other things. Of course, now apologists will jump from all sides and represent me as a monster "who attacks the poor little CSA", but you see: I tried to listen to you, I tried to be more understanding and reasonable and less confrontational and judgemental, but it simply doesn't work. Obviously, there's something very wrong in that airline company. Now I just want my money back asap. How will I get my money back on a cancelled card, I have no clue. Hopefully, when I will call them on the phone to sort this problem out, there will be no miscommunication / misunderstanding / uncertainty again. Or maybe they will send me again from an office to another office like in Monthy Python. Fantastic.
Ain't karma a b-atch?

Originally Posted by KLouis
I'm looking forward to watching a future "Air crash investigation" episode in which a flight that had actually been cancelled crashed and the experts decided that this was due to not checking credit cards at check-in.
I just sprayed the computer screen with coffee when I read that! Classic!!

(And be sure to keep your credit card in hand for your forthcoming Oceania flights ^)
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
OP: I think you have sort of gotten off on the wrong foot here. And possibly also with the agent you spoke to that you (apparently) felt was being rude to you.

I guess you are from a country where fraud and CC checks at check-in are routine (which begs the question - together with your stated familiarity with the process - why you destroyed this card in the first place, until you had completed all travel booked with it).

Credit card checks are, however, the exception rather than the rule. They are only introduced as and when necessary.

Your question is not comparable to asking a pilot about landing. Call centre agents are often third-party employees, and may never have even flown, let alone having flown with the airline that they are representing. I expect that the references they can consult say nothing about reassuring worried passengers about credit card verification processes, when the airline probably doesn't see the need for any such process. You may just as well enquire about whether you need to show a proof of purchase to the postman when he delivers a package you already paid for and for which he is not expected to recoup payment; or whether you need to show the credit card used to purchase your theatre tickets to the usher in order to be seated; there may be times or places where this becomes necessary, but in general, it sounds bizarre and would not appear to be a rational query.

Out of 725 flights in my lifetime, I have never been asked to show the credit card for any flights taken in/from Europe. And only recall being asked once or twice.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:17 am
Original Poster

A new update:

I called Czech Airlines and asked can I have a refund for my cancelled flight, please. They politely said OK.

After several days, I received an email confirming the refund, but the amount is approximately 10 USD less than what I payed.

Note that I have purchased 2 flights and extra baggage (because they allow only 15 kg), but not any extra services like an insurance, for example. Where did 10 USD go?

Also, their letter says that I will receive the refund within 3 weeks.

So:

- First we had a miscommunication (the agent on the phone didn't understand my problem);
- Then they cancelled my important flight, which messed my accomodation bookings and caused other problems;
- Then they took 10 USD from me;
- And finally, I will have to wait for ages for my refund to arrive. IF it arrives at all.

I went to the bank to ask whether I will be able to receive refunds on my cancelled card. They said that they always leave the accounts active for a certain period before they finally close them (cause sometimes there may be payments that come late or something). But 3 weeks is a too long period, I'm afraid that they may finally close it until then. I checked my e-bank today, nothing has arrived.

So, say what you want, my experience with Czech Airlines was a nightmare and I haven't even flew with them. From now on, I'll run away whenever I see them.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
The ~10$ difference could be due to a change in the currency rate between when you paid for the tickets and now.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:01 am
Suspended

A new update:

I called Czech Airlines and asked can I have a refund for my cancelled flight, please. They politely said OK.

After several days, I received an email confirming the refund, but the amount is approximately 10 USD less than what I payed.

Note that I have purchased 2 flights and extra baggage (because they allow only 15 kg), but not any extra services like an insurance, for example. Where did 10 USD go?

So:

- First we had a miscommunication (the agent on the phone didn't understand my problem);
- Then they cancelled my important flight, which messed my accomodation bookings and caused other problems;
- And finally, I will have to wait for ages for my refund to arrive. IF it arrives at all.

I went to the bank to ask whether I will be able to receive refunds on my cancelled card. They said that they always leave the accounts active for a certain period before they finally close them (cause sometimes there may be payments that come late or something). But 3 weeks is a too long period, I'm afraid that they may finally close it until then. I checked my e-bank today, nothing has arrived.

So, say what you want, my experience with Czech Airlines was a nightmare and I haven't even flew with them. From now on, I'll run away whenever I see them.
You are worrying way too much. I suspect that you don't travel very much and these routine things are stressing you out. Honestly, there is nothing in this experience that is in any way unusual or abnormal. Just relax. The $10 difference is probably mostly forex changes. This attitude will leave you with no airlines to fly with!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
A new update:

So:

You need to ask your bank what they will do if a merchant attempts to credit a refund to a closed credit card. Will your bank: 1) reopen the account, accept the credit, and then require you to request a refund of the card's credit balance by check? Or 2) refuse to accept the airline's refund, in which case you will have to go back to CSA, and see if they have some other method of issuing the refund to you.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
A new update:

So:

And you didnt even ask for a reroute?

Have you found a comparable airfare elsewhere?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You are worrying way too much. I suspect that you don't travel very much and these routine things are stressing you out. Honestly, there is nothing in this experience that is in any way unusual or abnormal. Just relax. The $10 difference is probably mostly forex changes. This attitude will leave you with no airlines to fly with!
My friend, my psychological state and my travel experience is irrelevant. We are commenting on an airline here. It's Flyer's Talk. This airline creates problems, they cancel flights, they do not refund in full and in reasonable time and so on. They are full of "surprises". Everytime you try to solve a problem with them, it's just getting worse.

Also, I haven't noticed any dramatic currency fluctuations these days to justify a 10 USD difference. Even if they happened (they didn't), I am not responsible for them. They should refund me what I payed.

But it's futile to argue. Now I'll be happy just to receive whatever they can refund and just to run away from them without turning back.

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
And you didnt even ask for a reroute?
I don't want to fly with them anymore. They did check for an alternative when I called them (though I didn't ask for it). But they didn't find much. I will find it myself. I will travel by foot if needed, but never again with them.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I guess you are from a country where fraud and CC checks at check-in are routine (which begs the question - together with your stated familiarity with the process - why you destroyed this card in the first place, until you had completed all travel booked with it).
Credit card checks are, however, the exception rather than the rule. They are only introduced as and when necessary.
Maybe there is a cc fraud in my country, maybe not, that's irrelevant. CC checks are mentioned on the official websites of several relevant airlines, so it is not a totally unusual procedure. Numerous discussions about that problem exist on this forum, how come you never noticed them and you act surprised?

Just an ordinary google search with keywords such as "credit card check in" and such, will return you many results, some of them leading to this forum. There are even news reports about people being denied boarding. And there were some people commenting here, who experienced this personally.

So, in short: CC checks are not that unusual. My question to the agent was not nonsensical. If it never happened to you personally, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. But now this problem is irrelevant, because they cancelled my flight and they created many new problems.

You ask why I had to cancel the card, I answered this already several posts before.

Originally Posted by guv1976
You need to ask your bank what they will do if a merchant attempts to credit a refund to a closed credit card. Will your bank: 1) reopen the account, accept the credit, and then require you to request a refund of the card's credit balance by check? Or 2) refuse to accept the airline's refund, in which case you will have to go back to CSA, and see if they have some other method of issuing the refund to you.
Yes, I know. As they explained me at the bank, after the card cancellation, there is like 1 month till final closure. It's ironical that CSA promised a refund within 3 weeks, so the account may be closed until then. I just hope that they'll refund me earlier. I'll try to find a solution, I'll ask at the bank and so on, but everything seems to be futile with this airline.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
If your fare was priced in Czech koruny, it should have been refunded in the same currency. The purchase and refund would be subject to currency conversion at the rates in effect on their respective dates. What was the exchange rate on the purchase and refund dates?

I honestly don't see that you have much of a beef with CSA. The cancellation is obviously inconvenient, and three weeks is rather long to process a refund. Every other interaction you've had with them seems normal to me. The agent you spoke with hadn't heard that sometimes other airlines demand to see the purchasing credit card at check in. So what?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

No. We are not talking about Zimbabwean dollars here (no offence to anyone, but they have a hyperinflation over there).

There's no way that some minor fluctuations in the recent days could create a 10 USD difference between the price I payed and the refund. Also the ticket price was not so high to produce such a difference. If it was a few dollars difference, fine, but 10? No, I'm not buying this.

I payed in my local currency (their website automatically switched to it according to my IP). The price that I payed is clearly displayed in the confirmation email that I received after the purchase and it is in my local currency: 11111 (that's the exact amount, no kidding). That same amount is in my cc statement (in my e-bank).

So, that's the amount that they owe me. Not a penny more, not a penny less.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
So challenge them

What is your experience on refunds from other airlines that makes you believe Czech is unreasonable

you are correct this is Flyertalk. if you look through the forums you will see that nothing you have described is unusual on any airline

flights get cancelled

customer service staff was probably from a company like SevCo answering calls for many airlines and may never have travelled on a plane

frequently people on FT have more experience than people "representing" a particular airline
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:38 am
Suspended

I think the time has come for you to hire a lawyer and sue CSA. It's the only way they'll listen and stop being so unhelpful.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
So challenge them

What is your experience on refunds from other airlines that makes you believe Czech is unreasonable

you are correct this is Flyertalk. if you look through the forums you will see that nothing you have described is unusual on any airline

flights get cancelled

customer service staff was probably from a company like SevCo answering calls for many airlines and may never have travelled on a plane

frequently people on FT have more experience than people "representing" a particular airline
scottishpoet,

I thank you and the other guys for explaining me how these agents work behind the scenes. Call me naive, but I thought that the agents should be better prepared for the job. Now you are telling me (and not only you) that some of the agents have never actually travelled on a plane and they have no clue about that job or that particular airline. They are just picked up from somewhere. Maybe they're hairdressers or bakers or I don't know. What can I say, I'm unpleasantly surprised. I naively believed in professionalism and competence.

I never had to ask for a refund before. My flights were (more or less) always on time, except once, but we got a hotel, and though it was an annoyance, we finally managed to get to our destination.

I didn't know should I challenge CSA or not about the money, I was afraid that it might be futile.

I just decided to write them an email. It's not in a confrontational tone, it's just a normal letter explaining my situation. I intentionally wrote it as simple as possible to avoid any misunderstandings. I'm afraid there's nothing more that I can do.

The letter goes like this (private or irrelevant details omitted):

"Dear Mr. K. J., thank you for the email and the refund for the flight cancelled by your company. But there are 2 problems. I payed exactly *****, not ***** as it is written in your message. The difference is not huge (it's approximatelly 10 euros), but this is not about money, it's about principles. The flight was cancelled by your company and I expect a full refund. Not more, not less. The price that I payed is clearly stated in the confirmation email from CSA that I received after the booking, on Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM. I'm sending you a screenshot of it. It clearly says: *****. The same amount is listed in my credit card statement. Also, you would agree with me that 3 weeks is a too long period for a refund. Please, I hope that you can refund me earlier. Please note that I have booked 2 flights and extra baggage directly from CSA and no extra services like an insurance by an external company. Thank you in advance for your professionalism, responsibility and punctuality."

(end of quote)

As always, I didn't offend anyone. I will also repeat that I was not arguing with the agent from the beginning of this story in any way. It's true that I was not satisfied with the miscommunication, I expected something better, but I was not shouting or offending him. I even expressed satisfaction and gratitude here on the forum when they sent me a clear written answer about the CC check and I didn't complain further until they created new problems. I don't have surreal demands, I don't ask for a private jet with a jacuzzi. I'm just politely asking for what is mine. What's the problem of these "apologists" who blame me for everything?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:38 pm

...What's the problem of these "apologists" who blame me for everything?
Say, have you though about the remote possibility that all these "apologists" who tried to answer your questions were not trying to blame you for everything but, in contrast, you simply fail to understand that they're right and you're wrong! You know, historically speaking, wars have started bacause some country leaders had the same attitude. I honestly hope you're not a politician!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.