Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Czech Airlines - required to show CC at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Czech Airlines - required to show CC at check in?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by vabsh
All jokes aside. The guy clearly stated that he doesn't understand my problem (not my language, but my problem).
Yeah I think that's true for me as well. In 150+ flights I have never had to show my credit card to anyone at the airport. Why would they need to see it anyway if the flight was already paid for?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
All jokes aside. The guy clearly stated that he doesn't understand my problem (not my language, but my problem). I was explaining it till I turned red, he was all with question marks around his head like in a comic book, as if I was talking about rocket science. It was absurd: a customer explaining basic airline procedures to an airline official.
Sounds like you were explaining your view of how other airlines operate to an agent from an airline that doesn't operate that way. I also have flown well over 1500 flights and have never been asked for a credit card. I guess I don't understand "basic airline procedures".

Perhaps we should start mocking you about all the errors you have made about posting here on FT, and all of the thing we "know" about FT from our years/decade+ here on FT that you have foolishly omitted or neglected.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
OP, I think you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.
That is certainly the impression I get.

If it was a requirement it would be made known during the booking process. If it's not a requirement, why would the staff member know about other airlines' procedures?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:42 am

What I'm reading... is an attempt to divert attention from the OP's own incompetence/lack of knowledge/oversight/honest mistake of cutting a credit card that he used to pay his ticket with (It's STANDARD airline procedure! Shouldn't you know this already?!) by focusing the story on the alleged incompetence of a poor CS agent who is not obliged to know any other airline's procedure other than his employer's.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: *G
fact: many carriers, especially asian and/or low-cost carriers, make it explicit during the booking that the booking credit card will/may be required to presented at check-in. for major carriers, even TK does this.

(whether its actually required is another matter. i dont remember ever being actually asked for it).

example, Nok Air T&C section 5.1
And for passengers using international credit card, their original credit card is required to present upon check in.

as far as the phone call agent.... its a low-paying, low-skilled job, and i wouldnt expect many to have the savvy of experienced travelers. you didnt reach a perfect employee. its not a perfect world. accept it and move on
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have an important trip and I have no time for experiments. If an ordinary guy such as me is familiar with this procedure, then an airline professional is obliged to know it much better than me and not to act as if I asked something ridicilous. I wasn't talking to him about something unussual, but about a procedure which is very common in european airports. I'm from Europe and I know what I'm talking about. I have been asked to produce the cc many times. Whether his company asks to see the cc or not, does not matter, he must know that these procedures exist and that they may happen to some travelers. Even to him. My worries and my questions are totally valid and legit and his answer was confused. He acted as if he never heard about such thing and as if I'm wasting his time. Sure, I'd like to relax and enjoy the trip, but if I'm denied boarding because of the wrong info given by this airline official, I pretty much doubt that he will cover my expenses & damages from his own pocket.
Just re-reading this, I have to say a combination of and .

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
What I'm reading... is an attempt to divert attention from the OP's own incompetence/lack of knowledge/oversight/honest mistake of cutting a credit card that he used to pay his ticket with (It's STANDARD airline procedure! Shouldn't you know this already?!) by focusing the story on the alleged incompetence of a poor CS agent who is not obliged to know any other airline's procedure other than his employer's.
I think this pretty much sums it up.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
In any case, this sort of question (when asked at all) is asked at the first checkin, so if OP checks in at SKP and the documents are in the national language, that's it. He would not be asked to show them at any time in the rest of the journey. I assume the PNR is updated to confirm the card has been sighted.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
IIf an ordinary guy such as me is familiar with this procedure, then an airline professional is obliged to know it much better than me and not to act as if I asked something ridicilous. I wasn't talking to him about something unussual, but about a procedure which is very common in european airports. I'm from Europe and I know what I'm talking about.
It's simply not the case. I haven't* been asked for my CC for the last 16 years. The last time was back in 2000 and while checking in at FRA for an SQ flight.

how it is possible that an airline professional has never heard about this common aiport procedure and he hears about it for the first time in his life from some ordinary customer?
Your first mistake was to assume that checking the CC was a common procedure in Europe (or elsewhere for that matter). Your second mistake was to assume, that a callcenter employee is a airline professional.

*edit

Last edited by WorldLux; Oct 12, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's simply not the case. I've been asked for my CC for the last 16 years. The last time was back in 2000 and while checking in at FRA for an SQ flight.
(underline mind)

Didn't you mean "you haven't been asked" for CC @checkin since 2000?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by bacchus85
Yeah I think that's true for me as well. In 150+ flights I have never had to show my credit card to anyone at the airport. Why would they need to see it anyway if the flight was already paid for?
Same here basically - the last (and IIRC only) time I've encountered it in the past 20+ years flying all over the place, was just once. There was a notice upon booking that the purchase CC would be required upon check-in when I used a UA e-cert to purchase a ticket for someone else. The website displayed the notice prominently in red font during the purchase process, however I wasn't actually asked to show it during check-in. I recall reading on FT that others were required to show the CC when in similar UA voucher situations, but again this was clearly displayed during the purchase process and only happened under certain circumstances, not for general UA ticket purchases. (And UA would allow the purchaser to show the CC to any airport agent, at any location, in advance and that would satisfy the requirement.)

I vaguely recall a thread a few years ago where an FT'er was required to show the CC at check-in and claimed the airline hadn't provided any notice during purchase that this would be required. I don't remember what airline or even what part of the world it was, nor was it necessarily proven that the poster hadn't been notified in advance.

In any case, it's interesting that the OP is so adamant that this may be required of his airline, and doesn't believe the airline when it says "no", yet proceeded to destroy the card despite firmly believing the card will be needed to fly.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have flown with Czech Airlines once and didn't have to show a credit card.

I have never had to show a credit card when flying (mainly Europe - Scandinavian Airlines, Lufthansa, Austrian, Croatia Airline, Tyrolian, BMI).

I didn't even know about this.

On the other hand, Deutche Bahn (the German Rail) does require that you show the credit card you purchased your ticket with but it's ok if it is no longer valid.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by helosc
On the other hand, Deutche Bahn (the German Rail) does require that you show the credit card you purchased your ticket with but it's ok if it is no longer valid.
I have never ever had to show my credit card on any DB train, and I've done hundreds of journeys.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Guys, I know that there're many experienced travelers and professionals on this forum. But believe me, this cc thing has happened to me many times. As you can see in the previous replies, there were some forum members who have been denied boarding, I wonder why you neglect that. Maybe you work at CSA?

Now, I received an email reply from CSA, but they didn't answer any questions, they just say that this particular department is not eligible to handle complaints and they gave me contacts to the customer relations. I will not file further complaints as this is obviously futile, like communicating through a broken phone. They're sending you from one office to another like in Monthy Python.

So, don't worry so much about your colleague, the guy will not be fired. He will be able to continue his work and to pay the credit for his car, appartment and holiday in Thailand. He's not a victim in this story. Neither I am (at least not yet).

I replied them that I won't complain further, just if they send me a clear written answer: does their personell at the counters ask the passengers for the cc. I also explained in short, why am I asking this. If their answer is definetly and unambigiously "NO", I will print it and that's enough and i will not bother them or you anymore. But if they start to complicate again and to escape from responsibility, then obviously there's something very wrong there.

I think that this is fair. Now I'll wait for the reply.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Ok let me try once again.

Has this ever happened to you on CSA? Your experience of other airlines is irrelevant.

I don't work for CSA but I have flown with them many times (well over 50). I have certainly never been asked for a credit card. My conclusion is that for them this is not a common process. Why should an employee of one airline be familiar with what other airlines do?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:44 am
Suspended

You really are not doing yourself any favours with your attitude. Reread and consider the comments above. I imagine the CSA complaints people are having a good laugh around the water cooler, or wherever else they congregate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.