Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair's Saga lounge moving this spring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair's Saga lounge moving this spring

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
I was at KEF yesterday and they had started to disassemble the current Saga Lounge. They have signs promoting their new lounge throughout the airport saying "You'll wish your flight was late." A wish come true for many, many Icelandair customers:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-the-world

This article highlights that Icelandair was the no. 2 least punctual airline in the world last year. El Al is the worst, and Air India is in third place.

I do not find anything special about this lounge. It's less crowded than it used to be, but I believe that is because their flights are now always running so late that nobody has time to go there who's connecting. So it's only travelers originating in Iceland who can realistically go there.

The quality of their wine is very low and the presentation even worse.

The new lounge is not ready. What you visited was the temporary lounge put in place in the C-gates until the new lounge is ready which wont be until this summer.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
New lounge ready date?

Looking to book a trip thru KEF shortly, but would like to see the new Saga lounge.

Any idea of when the new lounge will open?

The idea of the lounge being over the terminal, and not underground as it has been since long ago, really makes we want to time my trip to visit the new lounge.

E-mailed Iceair, but no response yet.

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Received this from Icelandair via Twitter:

"The current plan is to open the lounge around mid-May but it's hard for us to confirm."

Never did get a reply (yet) to my e-mail, so I used FI's Twitter site to ask.

I have found that e-mail with FI is an iffy proposition, but Twitter always solves the problem or gets the answer.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: A3-Gold FI-Gold AB-Gold
The new Saga Lounge will be opening on Wednesday, 10 May.

Just in time for my next trip a couple of days later, yay
Old May 8, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that update. If possible, post back that it really is open, and your impression of the new location.

I have a trip to ARN at the end of the month, and am looking forward to this new location.

My Saga lounge visits go back to 1997, when the lounge was loacate back in a corner of the departure lounge. When the lounge moved to the Schengen end of the terminal in 2003, the new lounge was much nicer, but on the ground floor with no windows.

The Saga lounge has always been a nice place, but this should be a great improvement, as I was told it is on an upper level, above the boarding area. Should have a marvelous view.

Thanks
Old May 9, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3-Gold FI-Gold AB-Gold
I'm flying out of KEF both on Thursday and then again on Monday, so I'll report and take some pics
Old May 11, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cyberwolf777
I'm flying out of KEF both on Thursday and then again on Monday, so I'll report and take some pics
I'm way too excited about this, though I loved the lounge before...
Old May 12, 2017, 7:08 am

Some pics from the new lounge here.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by TFKEF
Thanks! Much brighter, that's for sure.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Looking very good with many different seating options! Thanks for this report ^
Old May 12, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Icelandair has updated their website with this:

http://www.icelandair.us/information...t/saga-lounge/

Really looks nice.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Yay you can see outside! It's still on the other side of passport control, right? So, if you're landing from the US, you have through passport control to get to it?
Old May 16, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by AStarr
Yay you can see outside! It's still on the other side of passport control, right? So, if you're landing from the US, you have through passport control to get to it?
Yeah it's not far from it's original location right by passport control. Of course if you are connecting non-Schengen to Schengen or vice-versa it doesn't matter. Connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen (like from the US to the UK) it means going through passport control to use the lounge and then back through passport control to get back to the gates. Passport control is usually really quick though even if the lines seem daunting at first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.