Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:45 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
How are they going to deal with the crew issue?
By hiring more cabin crew. In any case, the problem has been around for way longer than it should.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
https://recrutamento.tap.pt/Recrutam...?ProfissaoId=2
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH SEN, DL PM
booking class O is discount so no checked luggage as *G since Sep17?
If the upgrade bid to executive is accepted which booing class i will be moved ?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm considering flying TAP from Europe to US as a Star Gold (United). I'm trying to decide between booking the discount and basic fare. Discount is only $28 cheaper than basic, which obviously isn't much.

I will have one bag to check. From reading the thread, seems I should just book the basic and be done with it rather than roll the dice?

I'm also assuming that both discount and basic are treated the same for PQM qualification by United. If so, 50% of flown miles.

Not too worried about seat assignment.

Am I missing anything?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm considering flying TAP from Europe to US as a Star Gold (United). I'm trying to decide between booking the discount and basic fare. Discount is only $28 cheaper than basic, which obviously isn't much.

I will have one bag to check. From reading the thread, seems I should just book the basic and be done with it rather than roll the dice?

I'm also assuming that both discount and basic are treated the same for PQM qualification by United. If so, 50% of flown miles.

Not too worried about seat assignment.

Am I missing anything?
If you're checking a bag, get the BASIC fare, no bags are included for *G for DISCOUNT.

Discount is usually 10% of flown miles, BASIC can be 10% or 50%, depending on the fare class - hard to find out, though on long-haul it tends to be 50% of flown miles.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Discount will post as E class no matter what the fare class actually is.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold
FWIW, my wife and I are *G and have a flight from GVA-LIS-SVQ. We booked our flights and hotel through Expedia and we had no idea whether it was discount/basic economy. But when we checked in, we were allowed to bring 2 check-in luggages which we didn't need since we only have carry-ons. When we flew Swiss air before that was booked through Expedia, we weren't allowed any checked luggage because of basic fare or whatever the cheapest fare was..
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Does anyone have any recent experience with tap flying from Lisbon to Barcelona on a basic or discount fare. Do they monitor carry-on standard 22 inch travel pro bags? Are you entitled to any checked luggage as star gold? Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Does anyone have any recent experience with tap flying from Lisbon to Barcelona on a basic or discount fare. Do they monitor carry-on standard 22 inch travel pro bags? Are you entitled to any checked luggage as star gold? Thanks
No recent experience intra-EU, but on my hand baggage-only LIS-MIA, the online check-in spat out a 1 piece allowance for a *G. They may occasionally check your carry-on dimensions at the gate.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I've never flown Lisbon Barcelona and have largely given up on TAP.

But i'm a low-fare tart, lured back on the TP Manchester Lisbon service last week. I was ready to lug my bag on board, but the check-in agent suggested checking it with no mention of a charge. So it could be that the *G magic still works. Though this is TAP, the magic might be patchy, and YMMV.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC 75k, Hilton Diamond
I called the TAP Contact Center and they mentioned the *G benefits are still valid on my Discount ticket. It is a LIS-LYS flight, so it may be because it is European?

She said I would still have a free bag with my ticket.

I am also not confident she was 100% sure about her answer though...
Old May 5, 2020, 2:41 am

Any recent experience with free luggage on a Discount ticket as a *G member? Their site doesn't mention anything about it.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
Originally Posted by glennl1985
Any recent experience with free luggage on a Discount ticket as a *G member? Their site doesn't mention anything about it.
Travelled with them CPH-LIS-EWR back in January. I had a discount ticket and I had no problems with checking in 1 piece of luggage as per my *A Gold status.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Peter1012
Travelled with them CPH-LIS-EWR back in January. I had a discount ticket and I had no problems with checking in 1 piece of luggage as per my *A Gold status.
Good to know! Asked confirmation on their Twitter but no feedback yet.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by glennl1985
Im *G with other +A carrier, recently travelled on TP ex ORY on discount econ ticket and paid 1 pc of luggage. . Previous to that I emailed message to TP confirming that I could check in +1 pc, to which they replied within 30 mins confirming that yes I could check in 2 pcs. I took screen shot of that, which wasnt required at ORY check in. However because I wasnt flying in biz so I wasnt allowed in contract lounge. So luggage no problem as long as you have right to check in luggage then extra piece applies.

And yes on TP website it shows very clearly that *G can check in extra piece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.