Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair and carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Ryanair and carry on?

I'm wondering if I can take a backpack as a carry on? I mean this bag in particular https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017K4FL3E...ing=UTF8&psc=1 Will i have issues, or should I take a smaller carry on?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Backpacks usually don't get much scrutiny. I've taken a bigger one as a carryon many times and have never had problems. I think that backpack will easily fit the sizer
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Backpacks usually don't get much scrutiny. I've taken a bigger one as a carryon many times and have never had problems. I think that backpack will easily fit the sizer
Thanks, and this backpack is suitable for Delta as well?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:12 am

Anything that's suitable for Ryanair will be suitable for Delta.
trooper likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Anything that's suitable for Ryanair will be suitable for Delta.
Thank you!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Sorry to hijack but can you take this and a carry on rollaboard, this backpack being the small bag ? assuming its not stuffed to the gills
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
Sorry to hijack but can you take this and a carry on rollaboard, this backpack being the small bag ? assuming its not stuffed to the gills
As long as it meets the posted dimensions you should be fine.

But note that most US rollaboards are too big for the "main" bag.

Originally Posted by Ryanair
You can carry one cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 onboard the aircraft.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 4, 2016 at 7:30 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by miadukes
As above, you need to know the dimensions once packed. You say "not stuffed to the gills" which gives a lot of leeway, but look at the volume of the bag linked (35l) compared to the volume of the permitted bag, and you'll see a huge difference.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

The bag is basically for a one day trip. So besides a second pair of clothes, an umbrella, phone charger and basic toiletries, I have nothing else to take. I just hope I can carry it, and don't need to check it.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox
The bag is basically for a one day trip. So besides a second pair of clothes, an umbrella, phone charger and basic toiletries, I have nothing else to take. I just hope I can carry it, and don't need to check it.
The length of the trip and the details of the contents make no difference - it's the size.

If you have it and can pack and measure it then fine. If you're thinking of buying it then it's a gamble, albeit one where you can gauge the risk quite well. Squashing it up to meet the size limits is quite acceptable.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Have another question. I see Ryanair allows an additional small bag along with your carry on, does that mean you can bring duty free?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:10 pm

Yes, you can buy duty free and bring it as your personal item.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:24 pm

At some airports you are allowed to take a bag of airport shopping ('duty free') in addition to the standard allowance - e.g. at Stansted.

As a general point, I wouldn't push it when it comes to the second smaller cabin bag. It's really intended to cover handbags, laptop bags, small day bags and the like.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Update, I flew on Ryanair recently and it went very smoothly. On my return leg, the FA came over to me and told me just put my backpack under the seat. For me it was convenient to have a backpack instead of a regular carryon. Some people had both, and people easily carried duty free on board, and the staff didn't say anything.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Only thing I'd advise with Ryan Air.... Buy an assigned seat in advance. It gives you priority boarding and pretty much guarantees a space for your bag in the overhead bins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.