Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The RYANAIR thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
If you pay for a seat allocation within the 48 hour check-in window, do you still get priority and 2 cabin bags? Just, obviously, priority is pointless if everyone on the plane gets it, and there's no point sitting at the front if you can't get in the overhead bin. At the minute, if there's no more Priority, bin space will be plentiful.
They also cap the number of Priority places sold to 90, which can be most passengers on the aircraft sometimes. And anyone can buy a seat anyway. I tend to buy Priority if I need it, but otherwise just the seat selection fee, and I'm happy to be towards the back. The very back rows are charged a little extra due to being first off, but the best value (at least to my mind) is around three quarters of the way down, and with a bit of clever work in the final hours you can often switch seats via the App to get an empty seat next to you.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They also cap the number of Priority places sold to 90, which can be most passengers on the aircraft sometimes.
you're very lucky if you manage to get a half empty Ryanair plane !
i can't remember the last time i got one. usually their revenue management is all too successful !
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
you're very lucky if you manage to get a half empty Ryanair plane !
i can't remember the last time i got one. usually their revenue management is all too successful !
Well, not exactly. 90 Priority passengers and 89 non priority = just 10 empty seats on the B737.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:50 pm

Not now, no. It's an underseat sized bag only. 40x20x25. Your 10kg hold bag costs extra.
Thank you for your reply. I've now bought priority boarding that includes a 10kg bag. I've also bought 20kg extra luggage. I have two more questions then that's it, I promise! Can the 10kg bag be put into the hold with the 20kg bag and if so, will there be a cost for doing so.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by steve2802
Thank you for your reply. I've now bought priority boarding that includes a 10kg bag. I've also bought 20kg extra luggage. I have two more questions then that's it, I promise! Can the 10kg bag be put into the hold with the 20kg bag and if so, will there be a cost for doing so.
Ryanair considers these to be different products. So if you try to check in the 10kg bag at the counter, most likely there will be a charge, probably a very high charge as will be a 'on the day' purchase. However if you arrive at the gate very late in the boarding process, then they may grant a gate-check (which will still require you to carry it to the plane and hand it off to a luggage guy on the tarmac).

Basically, interpret everything as written, don't apply any logic (e.g. "it's all going on the same plane anyway") and it will be fine with Ryanair.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:31 pm

Ryanair is usually cheaper (I compare it on routes to Alicante and to Krakow), but I think EasyJet is better quality. And you are still allowed to take normal size hand luggage when you fly with EasyJet.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Question, I made a group booking for 5 passengers. I need to add cabin bags for just one of them (ie the Priority and 2 cabin bag option), however when I try to add this it only allows me to add it for everyone on the booking and not select just one person. How do I get round this? the other 4 passengers have no need to add anything more than the small carry on bag allowed free. Thanks.

Last edited by LothianLad; Apr 12, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by LothianLad
I made a group booking for 5 passengers. I need to add cabin bags for just one of them
Try doing it in the app - unlike the website, it seems to allow adding cabin bags+priority to individual flights and individual passengers in your booking.
farci likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:47 am

Wheely fees

Previously I’d noticed that at airports where agency staff operated the departure gates, they were much less likely to demand payment for passengers with wheelies in the Non Piority queue.

I'm currently at Luton airport (Swissport staff) - and they are going through the non priority queue and sending those with wheelys to make a payment !

they still don’t seem to worry too much about the size of non wheeled cabin bags - as long as passengers aren’t being completely crazy.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:17 am

Unsuitable for exit row

Guessing that all the overwings are adults, and also guessing that if they turn out to be unsuitable for those seats they'll be swapped with someone else?
I’m currently in the window seat of an exit row - and I really don’t think the overweight person beside me would manage to get out.

i know it must be really difficult for cabin crew to tell a passenger that they need to move from an exit row - but does FR ever actually do it ?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:59 am

How bad are security lines at STN on a weekday around 19:00?

If the gate closes at 19:05 and I travel by train/bus from Cambridge to arrive at the airport around 18:15, am I stretching it, or would I be OK?

Should I buy priority access for the security screening to be on a safe side?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit

If the gate closes at 19:05 and I travel by train/bus from Cambridge to arrive at the airport around 18:15, am I stretching it, or would I be OK?

I'd concern myself more about the trains running on time, rather than the airport security!

There's nearly always a queue at Stansted, but it generally moves quite quickly. I haven't waited more than 15 minutes to reach the front of the queue without priority, since the security area was reconfigured about five years ago.

After security, it's a 10 to 15 minute journey to the gate (either by foot to gates 40-59, 81-88 or 90-93, or transit to gates 1-39).

I'm not sure if priority actually saves that much time at STN.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit

Trains in England are not very punctual...I would not trust that train to actually arrive at 18:15. And buses are of course subject to road delays. However, is 19:05 the 'gate close' time or the departure time? Stansted announces gates very late and of course Ryanair doesn't start processing passengers early enough to make that a hard stop. Also note that the security scanners are very sensitive (e.g. small tube of lotion in a side pocket), so it's not unlikely to get pulled for a re-scan which will easily eat up even more time.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:57 pm

East Midlands non connecting flights

I’m a USA citizen arriving Saturday at EMA at 12:30 pm from Spain. I’m flying to Poland from EMA same day at 18:10. These are 2 separate tickets. I will have a checked bag.

3 questions:

1) Do I have to go through immigration and customs at EMA and then come back through security after dropping my bag at check in landside?

2) Will I be able to drop my bag off at EMA straight away or is it possible I’ll be too early for bag drop?

3) If I get through immigration quickly, I’d love to catch the second half of the Tottenham match. Is there any place landside, airside, or near the airport to watch?
Old May 3, 2019, 12:02 am

@cockpitvisit My experience of security at STN is not good - I've never got through in less than 20 minutes - and the staff there seem to relish in yelling at passengers and being deliberately unhelpful. I would not be comfortable with the timetable you are proposing.
cockpitvisit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.