Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The RYANAIR thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Just a question about Ryanair and taxes - are all taxes included in the ticket price, or will they hit you with a separate invoice for taxes after you book the flight?

Some ticket prices they show on the website (e.g. 4.99 EUR for SXF-PMI on some days) are lower than the German departure tax of 7.46 EUR - how can this work?
As mentioned, all taxes are included.

Wondering why you see 'Fares from [insert absurdly low price]' plastered all over their site? This is their loss leader and is no different from retailers putting out a catalogue with a few items being sold at a deep discount. But being a low cost carrier, the fare is only part of the story. You want a bag? Ka-ching. Seat assignment? Ka-ching. Food on board? Ka-ching. Didn't print your boarding pass? Ka-ching. The list goes on because LCCs make a lot of their revenue from ancillary charges...
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by MELso
As mentioned, all taxes are included.

Wondering why you see 'Fares from [insert absurdly low price]' plastered all over their site? This is their loss leader and is no different from retailers putting out a catalogue with a few items being sold at a deep discount. But being a low cost carrier, the fare is only part of the story. You want a bag? Ka-ching. Seat assignment? Ka-ching. Food on board? Ka-ching. Didn't print your boarding pass? Ka-ching. The list goes on because LCCs make a lot of their revenue from ancillary charges...
In the last six months Ryanair billed €1.15 billion for ancillary charges. Don't feel sorry for them!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So in March will be taking Ryan Air from DUB-EDI, I Choose the most popular which allows a carry on and check baggage, however, I'll have my roller and backpack with me and a check baggages, how does Ryan Air handle this? I'm assuming I'll have to pay for the second carry on, if so how much?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
If you mean a plus fare that includes priority, 2 cabin bags and 20kg hold luggage so your cabin bags should be included.
Just check it fits their size regulation and 10kg weight limit. If your second item is too large it will have to be gate checked at up to €40. If that’s the case you may be better off paying in advance for an extra hold bag at €25.
See: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...lp-centre/fees

Last edited by highpeaklad; Jan 23, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
If you mean a plus fare that includes priority, 2 cabin bags and 20kg hold luggage so your cabin bags should be included.
Just check it fits their size regulation and 10kg weight limit. If your second item is too large it will have to be gate checked at up to €40. If that’s the case you may be better off paying in advance for an extra hold bag at €25.
See: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...lp-centre/fees
Yea, I have a backpack that I usually place under the seat in front of me, and my carry on is a roller board that I place in over head.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Yea, I have a backpack that I usually place under the seat in front of me, and my carry on is a roller board that I place in over head.
Do they meet the dimensions dictated by Ryanair? IME it's backpack sizes that will fail the underseat bag requirements, even if they will fit under the seat. Rollerboards do fail as well, but years of Ryanair stories mean most people have cottoned on and measured them before heading to the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:40 am

Read this - read it in detail. You need to comply with it - to the letter.
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...bin-bag-policy
Ryanair roller bag size limit is smaller than many other airlines. Do not assume that "this is what I do with other airlines" has any relevance to Ryanair.
If you do not hold an EU passport, also read up about their document check process which you must complete before attempting to drop bags,
farci likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:06 am

In my experience Ryanair does not police soft backpacks/bags that strictly (but YMMV), however their agents are really good at spotting bags even only a few cm beyond the dimensions. Read up carefully about the detailed policies (posted on their website) and do not simply rely on second-hand/summarized information. As long as one follows the rules carefully, they provide a reasonable service.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I have my first FR sector in about 10 years coming up next month, SKG-ATH. I have paid about €20 for the fare and don't care where I sit for this 50-minute, "up-beer-down" flight.

My question is about luggage. I am spending a week in Greece and will be carrying a standard small roll-a-board. Is this included, or am I limited to the stardard "personal item", i.e. under-seat size?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I have my first FR sector in about 10 years coming up next month, SKG-ATH. I have paid about €20 for the fare and don't care where I sit for this 50-minute, "up-beer-down" flight.

My question is about luggage. I am spending a week in Greece and will be carrying a standard small roll-a-board. Is this included, or am I limited to the stardard "personal item", i.e. under-seat size?
It depends what extras you bought.

When booking (after sometime in November 2018), you would have been presented with three options:
  • Small carry on only (no extra fee) - size 40x20x25cm
  • Priority & 2 cabin bags (aka speedy boarding) - allows one carry on of max 10kg size 55x40x20cm plus a second size 40x20x25cm - normally around €6 to €8
  • 10kg check in bag - allows one checked in bag of max 10kg size 55x40x20cm (*must* be checked in at the desk before security and *must* meet the size, even though it isn't going in the cabin) plus a carry on bag of size 40x20x25cm - normally around €8 to €10
You can also purchase a 15kg or 20kg checked in bag, in addition to any of the above options.

Measure you bag and check you booking. If your bag is too big, get a smaller one or pay the extra. Don't chance it, as Ryanair staff are good at spotting oversized bags (although not as overzealous as they used to be).
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ft101
Do they meet the dimensions dictated by Ryanair? IME it's backpack sizes that will fail the underseat bag requirements, even if they will fit under the seat. Rollerboards do fail as well, but years of Ryanair stories mean most people have cottoned on and measured them before heading to the airport.
My backpack will fit in the sizer, but the rollerboard looks bigger, I looked at our tickets I purchased the "Plus" package which gives up 2 on board bags. Our check luggage will more then the 20kg, but we will only have check bag, I can assume that Ryanair does not care that we are allowed 1 check luggage each but will only have 1 check and if said check back in less then 40kg they will still make us pay...
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
It depends what extras you bought.

When booking (after sometime in November 2018), you would have been presented with three options:
  • Small carry on only (no extra fee) - size 40x20x25cm
  • Priority & 2 cabin bags (aka speedy boarding) - allows one carry on of max 10kg size 55x40x20cm plus a second size 40x20x25cm - normally around €6 to €8
  • 10kg check in bag - allows one checked in bag of max 10kg size 55x40x20cm (*must* be checked in at the desk before security and *must* meet the size, even though it isn't going in the cabin) plus a carry on bag of size 40x20x25cm - normally around €8 to €10
You can also purchase a 15kg or 20kg checked in bag, in addition to any of the above options.

Measure you bag and check you booking. If your bag is too big, get a smaller one or pay the extra. Don't chance it, as Ryanair staff are good at spotting oversized bags (although not as overzealous as they used to be).
Thanks for this. I just had a look and I have the "Priority and 2 cabin bags" option, which will be more than enough.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
My backpack will fit in the sizer, but the rollerboard looks bigger, I looked at our tickets I purchased the "Plus" package which gives up 2 on board bags. Our check luggage will more then the 20kg, but we will only have check bag, I can assume that Ryanair does not care that we are allowed 1 check luggage each but will only have 1 check and if said check back in less then 40kg they will still make us pay...
Remember there are two sizers and measure both bags to be sure.

Pooling hold baggage as you describe is OK, but make sure no individual item is > 32kg.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Remember there are two sizers and measure both bags to be sure.

Pooling hold baggage as you describe is OK, but make sure no individual item is > 32kg.
Got it, thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:54 am

Just to add that pooling is only permitted when both passengers are on the same booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.