Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The RYANAIR thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Is there still a fixed order of seat allocation? Previously, it was very predictable. But now I don't fly with Ryanair so much, I haven't been able to observe anything properly.
i haven't found any website that has worked it out. the old order was listed on this site - but they haven't come up with a new order yet. let me know if you work it out !
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:35 am

By way of a report.

Stamps: on two intra-Schengen Ryanair flights there was no stamping of boarding passes for non-EU citizens. I specifically inquired at check in and both times CS agents told me that there is nothing that needs to be done, and that if stamps and passport checks were required, there would be a note to that effect on the boarding pass.

Carry on - did no see any carry on size checks at the gate or anywhere else. Our carry ons were the "usual size" (accepted on any major carrier but a bit out of spec for Ryanair) - no issue bringing them aboard. We did have "priority boarding". Those who did not have priority boarding, simply left their carryons in a cart parked next to the aircraft, and got them back at the baggage belt. Again, no carryon size checks for that group was evident and a few were clearly too large.

Overall, Ryanair was not bad (again) - except for that gawdawful trumpet music after landing.

YMMV
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:28 am

new hand luggage policy

since Ryanair launched their revised hand baggage policy in mid january ...

do FTers have experience as to whether the "only priority boarding passengers can bring wheelies into the cabin" policy is being strictly enforced ?

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...ge-can-I-carry
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:37 am

As far as I can tell, only passengers with priority boarding can bring larger bags on board.

It is enforced - in a sense that passengers with larger bags are not allowed to go through during priority boarding, and passengers that enter after priority boarding has ended must have yellow tags attached to their bags. Those tags signify that the bag needs to be placed in the cart.

I did not see anyone try to bring a bag with that tag on board. Every flight had flight manager standing by the door checking things, so I am guessing tagged bags would not be allowed on board.

I suppose one could try to rip the tag off between getting on and off the bus, but the tag is not easily removed so it'd be pretty obvious, and they do check boarding passes at boarding time as well (and priority boarding is clearly marked on BP).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by br2k
As far as I can tell, only passengers with priority boarding can bring larger bags on board.

It is enforced - in a sense that passengers with larger bags are not allowed to go through during priority boarding, and passengers that enter after priority boarding has ended must have yellow tags attached to their bags. Those tags signify that the bag needs to be placed in the cart.

I did not see anyone try to bring a bag with that tag on board. Every flight had flight manager standing by the door checking things, so I am guessing tagged bags would not be allowed on board.

I suppose one could try to rip the tag off between getting on and off the bus, but the tag is not easily removed so it'd be pretty obvious, and they do check boarding passes at boarding time as well (and priority boarding is clearly marked on BP).
thanks. i'm surprised this is being so strictly enforced. presumably it means that the overhead lockers are now half empty ?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:37 am

Overhead lockers on our flights were pretty full.

First, it looks like plenty of people buy the priority boarding option - subjectively about 1/4.

Aside from that, everyone is still permitted a "small bag" which, practically speaking, was not all that small - many were decent size backpacks/bags. As long as it was not obviously too large and had no wheels, it could be brought on board. Since those also go into the overhead bins, there was not a lot of space on a full flight.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by br2k
Aside from that, everyone is still permitted a "small bag" which, practically speaking, was not all that small - many were decent size backpacks/bags. As long as it was not obviously too large and had no wheels, it could be brought on board. Since those also go into the overhead bins, there was not a lot of space on a full flight.
ah, so they aren't strictly enforcing it against all non handbags/laptop-bags !
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:07 am

new hand luggage policy

any further "data points" / experiences on the new policy ?

i'm flying Ryanair on Thursday, and i suspect the flight isn't that full (tickets still selling for 20 quid) ... so i'm trying to work out if they will bother taking my hand luggage (wheelie) into the hold ?!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a way to make RyanAir shows EURO fare instead of the DCCed USD?

I remember seeing it shows Euro just a day before on an FCO to CTA oneway ticket. Now all it gives me is the 5% padded USD price even I have deleted all cookies in the firefox browser.

At the payment screen its question of "are you sure you dont want to use RyanAir guaranteed currency conversion rate" is meaningless because the fare is already converted from Euro to USD! I think I need to make it show Euro in order to avoid being scammed.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Happy

I remember seeing it shows Euro just a day before on an FCO to CTA oneway ticket. Now all it gives me is the 5% padded USD price even I have deleted all cookies in the firefox browser.

At the payment screen its question of "are you sure you dont want to use RyanAir guaranteed currency conversion rate" is meaningless because the fare is already converted from Euro to USD! I think I need to make it show Euro in order to avoid being scammed.
Maybe change your country to Ireland and book it like that? That’s what I always did - you can use a US based card no problem.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:40 am

Can't seem to check in online through both the Ryanair app as well as online. Have tried different web browsers but just can't get to boarding pass printing page.

Contacted Ryanair through online chat as well but no joy.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Just saw the news: Ryanair is closing its Glasgow Airport base, leaving only three routes still operating from November 2018: Dublin, Warsaw and Wroclaw.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Happy

Try this.
On the payment screen, where it states

Your debit/credit card will now be charged £ xxx.xx (€ 125.44) Click here for more information on our guaranteed exchange rate.

Select "Click here for more information" then untick the check box at the bottom. Price should revert to EUR amount which will be charged to your card.
BruceyBonus likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by KT550
Try this.
On the payment screen, where it states

Your debit/credit card will now be charged £ xxx.xx (€ 125.44) Click here for more information on our guaranteed exchange rate.

Select "Click here for more information" then untick the check box at the bottom. Price should revert to EUR amount which will be charged to your card.
That works when you are on a non-US Ryanair site - it always offers the option of changing to the correct currency. However, on the US website, it offers fares in USD right from the beginning, so there is no DCC involved (since the fare is in USD to start with). The only way of removing the latter is to switch to a non-US website.

I assume Ryanair have thought that US based customers are more likely to purchase if they can pay in their own currency.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:40 am

new hand luggage policy

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
any further "data points" / experiences on the new policy ?

i'm flying Ryanair on Thursday, and i suspect the flight isn't that full (tickets still selling for 20 quid) ... so i'm trying to work out if they will bother taking my hand luggage (wheelie) into the hold ?!
i decided that i should try it out myself !

most of my fellow (non priority) passengers had their wheelies tagged for the hold. but a few of us managed to avoid it.

the gate agent who scanned my boarding pass was distracted by another member of staff, and might not have seen my wheely, which was on the other side !

the overhead lockers did seem relatively empty for a packed flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.