The RYANAIR thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
I've been to Dublin before, it is a lovely city. But, I want to make the most of the final days of the Rotterdam Film Festival.
Around 10 years ago, there were Transavia flights between Rotterdam and Dublin. I miss that option!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:44 pm

Looking at flying Ryan for the first time next year from OPO to CPH. However, both DH and I are not petite flowers either in length or width so we thought about buying three seats but just realized that unless we pay to have a seat reservation that buying the third seat isn't going to help us out. We looked at paying for the first or exit row for extra legroom but until we fly them and make sure we don't need a seatbelt extension (we don't on US airlines) we are afraid to do that.

Any of you experienced Ryan flyers have any thoughts on how we can make our flights as comfortable as possible? I looked to see if Ryan had any info on Customers of Size or Two Fat Ladies or anything like that but came up empty. So any help is most appreciated!
(Funny to think we are doing this flight only to immediately board a TAP plane to fly back to Portugal to transit to a flight to MIA - ah what we do for biz class sale fares! LOL)

Clay
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
Looking at flying Ryan for the first time next year from OPO to CPH. However, both DH and I are not petite flowers either in length or width so we thought about buying three seats but just realized that unless we pay to have a seat reservation that buying the third seat isn't going to help us out. We looked at paying for the first or exit row for extra legroom but until we fly them and make sure we don't need a seatbelt extension (we don't on US airlines) we are afraid to do that.

Any of you experienced Ryan flyers have any thoughts on how we can make our flights as comfortable as possible? I looked to see if Ryan had any info on Customers of Size or Two Fat Ladies or anything like that but came up empty. So any help is most appreciated!
(Funny to think we are doing this flight only to immediately board a TAP plane to fly back to Portugal to transit to a flight to MIA - ah what we do for biz class sale fares! LOL)

Clay
Here are details on their seat dimensions and "comfort seats": https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance/Can-I-purchase-an-extra-seat-for-a-large-person
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Here are details on their seat dimensions and "comfort seats": https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...a-large-person
Thanks so much! I swear I looked for it but didn't look in the right place. I presume that when I check in with my seat and my comfort seat that the system will automatically assign us two seats together...so does that mean that if we make our reservation for the two of us plus the one comfort seat that we can check in all three at once and thereby make sure we get to share the comfort seat?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
Thanks so much! I swear I looked for it but didn't look in the right place. I presume that when I check in with my seat and my comfort seat that the system will automatically assign us two seats together...so does that mean that if we make our reservation for the two of us plus the one comfort seat that we can check in all three at once and thereby make sure we get to share the comfort seat?
This is Ryanair ... you cannot assume anything!

Two passengers on the same booking are now never seated together unless either they pay or there are no other seats left. Which one of you (if any) gets seated next to the comfort seat would be anyone's guess. That assumes they do a check on the name before allocating seats. Probably worth checking with them.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:58 am

This is Ryanair ... you cannot assume anything!

Two passengers on the same booking are now never seated together unless either they pay or there are no other seats left. Which one of you (if any) gets seated next to the comfort seat would be anyone's guess. That assumes they do a check on the name before allocating seats. Probably worth checking with them.
Thanks for the clarification, I guess we will pay for a seat reservation for at least the two of us....and while not presuming, I think we won't pay for the comfort seat. Fingerscrossed that works.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I have been trying to access the "Complaint tracker" link on Ryanair's website for the last few days to monitor the status of a claim for compensation under Regulation 261/2004 but the site seems down. Does anyone have any other insights?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the 15th January you can no longer take a "large" cabin bag for free. So while W6 are relaxing this and allowing a large cabin bag from being the old stingy small handbag only, FR are following W6's old policy and you will need to pay for priority boarding to take the larger standard cabin bag on the aircraft.

So W6 since October: small handbag now extra, but large cabin bag for free.
FR from January: large cabin bag for extra, small handbag for free (no change)

Amazingly, the policy applies to bookings made before the announcement date (surprised thats even legal...) I think, back in October around the same time W6 improved their policy.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hugolover
From the 15th January you can no longer take a "large" cabin bag for free. So while W6 are relaxing this and allowing a large cabin bag from being the old stingy small handbag only, FR are following W6's old policy and you will need to pay for priority boarding to take the larger standard cabin bag on the aircraft.

So W6 since October: small handbag now extra, but large cabin bag for free.
FR from January: large cabin bag for extra, small handbag for free (no change)

Amazingly, the policy applies to bookings made before the announcement date (surprised thats even legal...) I think, back in October around the same time W6 improved their policy.
Slightly misleading... large bag is still free of charge however it will be placed into the hold if you do not have priority boarding.
With W6 if you turned up with large cabin bag (and haven't paid for it), they charged you no matter what, FR won't charge you
BruceyBonus and hugolover like this.

Last edited by lehovec; Dec 22, 2017 at 1:57 am Reason: added: and haven't paid for it
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lehovec
Slightly misleading... large bag is still free of charge however it will be placed into the hold if you do not have priority boarding.
With W6 if you turned up with large cabin bag (and haven't paid for it), they charged you no matter what, FR won't charge you
I flew FR last week, and on the BP it said it was changing. It just shows my interpretation is probably the same as many others and the way most of the press have picked it up eg they're not saying that Ryanair basically now have a free hold bags policy...

They obviously want it to be interpreted the way I have. To get your bag you need to pay for this priority.

In practice, there is no way they will want to manage 100+ cabin bags into the hold just before departure and thats a lot of bags to carry down to the aircraft, those LHR T1 style bag shoots are long gone at airports!!! I would imagine they will continue with the 90 bags, counting priority first and tag the rest as they do now.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
In practice, there is no way they will want to manage 100+ cabin bags into the hold just before departure and thats a lot of bags to carry down to the aircraft, those LHR T1 style bag shoots are long gone at airports!!!
You are aware that (except in Aena airports in Spain), Ryanair do not routinely use airbridges? They have steps from the tarmac and the "drop-off" for gate dropped bags is at the bottom of the steps. So no more work for the staff than if they had been delivered there on a baggage cart.

In the past, Ryanair has actually reduced service to or even dropped airports that force them to use airbridges.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:22 pm

Let me try this in a more recent thread.

I would appreciate input from anyone with recent experience on Ryanair (after all the recent more-strict-less-strict changes wrt carryons). What have you see wrt. carryon sizes?

I have several US-carrier sized carryons that are close but slightly oversized (perhaps by 1cm on thickness or 1-2cm on height if including wheels). Nothing egregious, but we have 3 people and buying 3 carryon bags (that will be discarded after the trip) isn't really appealing.

Note: we do have priority boarding.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:24 pm

It is worth noting with Ryanair that non-EEA passport holders must print their boarding pass (instead of showing it on a mobile phone), then have it stamped at the "document check" or one of the bag drops desk.
Is this at all airports or only some? What's a "document check" and where do I find it?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by br2k
Is this at all airports or only some? What's a "document check" and where do I find it?
All Ryanair flights from all airports.

If the airport does not have a dedicated "document check" desk, you must get the boarding pass stamped at a check-in desk.

The "document check" is where they will check if you are admissible to the destination country with your passport and whether you need a visa (and check you have it, if you do).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:41 pm

Thanks for the information!

Now hopefully someone says something about carryons

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.