The RYANAIR thread

Old Jan 9, 16, 5:00 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by phoochka View Post
I have never flown Ryanair, but need to get from DUB to BRU on a day where Ryanair provides the best flight timings. I need to catch an onward flight from Brussels and cannot afford to be late in arriving in BRU.

How reliable is Ryanair in terms of punctuality?
how much time are you leaving between flights ?

with separate tickets you would need to leave plenty !
Old Jan 12, 16, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phoochka View Post
I have never flown Ryanair, but need to get from DUB to BRU on a day where Ryanair provides the best flight timings. I need to catch an onward flight from Brussels and cannot afford to be late in arriving in BRU.

How reliable is Ryanair in terms of punctuality?
Ryanair is quite punctual, especially because they always put longer than real times on the ticket, usually around 30 min. So you would barely leave on time, but always get to the destination ahead of schedule.

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers View Post
how much time are you leaving between flights ?

with separate tickets you would need to leave plenty !
Indeed! Especially if you have to drop some luggage off. Today I flew Ryanair to BRU and I left the airport via the departure area, but this might be different depending on the flight. So, maybe, if you only fly with carry-on luggage and you can check in on-line for the other flight, you'll be fine!

Anyways, has anyone ever tried it? I once had a connection at CRL, both flights with Ryanair. My intention was to stay inside, but had to exit and go through controls again because arrival and departure areas were not connected.
Old Jan 20, 16, 7:57 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Thanks OP for starting this thread! Was going to purchase tkts on Ryan & thought I'd check here for some RA tips first. As my flights aren't until end of May, I won't buy now but will keep an eye on prices. Only 1 hr flt, DUB-EDI, thus not seeing much value in purchasing advance seat selection.
Old Jan 31, 16, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by travelsavant View Post
Thanks OP for starting this thread! Was going to purchase tkts on Ryan & thought I'd check here for some RA tips first. As my flights aren't until end of May, I won't buy now but will keep an eye on prices. Only 1 hr flt, DUB-EDI, thus not seeing much value in purchasing advance seat selection.
On such a short flight, it really isn't worth it unless you want an extra leg room seat. The "random" seat allocation is done in a specific order (see http://flights-blog.lowcostroutes.co...at-on-ryanair/). I always check in early on the 7th day before the flight and nearly always get row 33 (the row at the very back). You can view the seat map before choosing that you want a free seat, so can guess which row you are likely to be allocated in.
Old Feb 15, 16, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
A few questions . . . .

I HAVE flown Ryan before, but YEARS ago.

I'm flying SXF/BTS/SXF for a 1 nite trip. I will be OK going to BTS, but, I'm a shopaholic, and I really don't know what I might buy while I'm there. I will TRY to get it all into a carry-on, but, I'm a little concerned about this "90 cabin bag" allowance on each flight, before forcing people to check bags. I know it's free, but, I don't want to be forced to check my important personal stuff. How do they manage this at the gate? Does somebody stand there with some sort of a counter?

It says that, if you pay for priority boarding, you'll never be forced to check your carry-ons, but I can't find a way to add it onto an existing booking, plus I really only want it on the return flight.

Also, how is boarding done? After priority, is it first come - first served? Zones?

Please advise.

Thanx!

Dave / USA

Old Feb 16, 16, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I HAVE flown Ryan before, but YEARS ago.

I'm flying SXF/BTS/SXF for a 1 nite trip. I will be OK going to BTS, but, I'm a shopaholic, and I really don't know what I might buy while I'm there. I will TRY to get it all into a carry-on, but, I'm a little concerned about this "90 cabin bag" allowance on each flight, before forcing people to check bags. I know it's free, but, I don't want to be forced to check my important personal stuff. How do they manage this at the gate? Does somebody stand there with some sort of a counter?

It says that, if you pay for priority boarding, you'll never be forced to check your carry-ons, but I can't find a way to add it onto an existing booking, plus I really only want it on the return flight.

Also, how is boarding done? After priority, is it first come - first served? Zones?

Please advise.

Thanx!

Dave / USA

The selection of the 90 items is a bit random, depending on the preference of the local staff. Here are some of the variations I have seen:
1. Selection of people as they pass through the boarding gate. Certain types of passenger appear to be targeted, e.g. young couples and groups who won't argue and those with paper boarding passes.
2. Offering it to passengers in the queue like an extra service you're getting for free.
3. Offering it to passengers at the bag drop and/or ID check desk as an extra service you're getting for free (but you still have to carry it through to the gate).
4. Forcing it on random people in the waiting area (e.g. Warsaw Modlin). The key in these cases is to hold back, so they don't know which flight you're on.

I'm confident they let more than 90 bags on, as many people (e.g. myself) will happily put a rucksack under the seat on a short flight.

There's a few arguments to keeping your bag, e.g. there are items which the Ryanair T&Cs prohibit from travelling in the hold. This didn't work for another passenger at Modlin. Should the worst happen, the yellow bag tag could easily disappear between being attached and arriving at the plane where you deposit the luggage in cage.....

I've flown 13 Ryanair sectors in the last year and never been asked to check in my carry on. I have been approached in scenario (2) and (3) above, but it has never been forced on me when I declined.

In terms of boarding order:
1. Disabled and priority boarding
2. Everyone else in the order they are in the queue

If you really want to pay for priority boarding, you can do this for each sector separately when you check-in, or through "Manage Your Booking" now.
Old Feb 16, 16, 3:32 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Backpacks normally don't get targeted.
Old Feb 16, 16, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Very Interesting. Thanx!

So, after priority boarding, how can I be sure to board as early as possible? Is it simply a matter of who's closest to the door first?

Also, my 7 day check-in will be in about 3 hours. Is there a check-in strategy to getting an aisle seat? The seat map looked nearly empty a few days ago when I booked this.

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 16, 16 at 4:12 am
Old Feb 16, 16, 7:36 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver, Umbi Umbi classic
Very Interesting. Thanx!

So, after priority boarding, how can I be sure to board as early as possible? Is it simply a matter of who's closest to the door first?
Yes, how early you are willing to queue in front of the door/desk. At the moment actual boarding begins there is usually already a queue of 60-70 ppl - so if its important to you, prepare to stand for quite a while.

Also, my 7 day check-in will be in about 3 hours. Is there a check-in strategy to getting an aisle seat? The seat map looked nearly empty a few days ago when I booked this.
From my experiences when traveling alone:

- check in at the earliest moment, and you get the middle seat. (To piss you off and make sure next time you perhaps pay for seat selection)

- as late as possible, and you not only get a window or aisle seat, but often one in the front rows or with extra space as well. (As obviously, on a full plane they hold back the most expensive seats to the last moment to see if anyone is willing to pay for it!).

So while there is no guarantee of an aisle seat or a particular strategy for that, for sure waiting the longest will get you the better seats (when traveling alone)!
Old Feb 16, 16, 1:19 pm

The seats are allocated in a specific order (see http://flights-blog.lowcostroutes.co...at-on-ryanair/). I always get 33C or 33D by checking in early and ensuring 33A and 33B are already allocated.

(You can view the seat map as if you want to buy a seat before choosing a free "random" seat)

If you check-in on the website (not the mobile app), the 7 days starts from midnight and not the time of the flight.

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
- check in at the earliest moment, and you get the middle seat. (To piss you off and make sure next time you perhaps pay for seat selection)
That is not true. The seats are allocated row-by-row, across the whole row.
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, a boarding pass question. . .

Thanx for all the great info!! I'm gonna try that strategy for a good seat, & I'll post my results!

I think I read that anyone who doesn't have an EU passport (mine is US) has to go to the check-in desk, even if you already hava BP for a document check. Can I still do that if I check-in on the RyanAir app, or will I need a printed BP, so the agent can write "Docs OK", or similar on it. I'm not sure if I'll have access to a printer.
Old Feb 18, 16, 12:39 pm

Thanx for all the great info!! I'm gonna try that strategy for a good seat, & I'll post my results!

I think I read that anyone who doesn't have an EU passport (mine is US) has to go to the check-in desk, even if you already hava BP for a document check. Can I still do that if I check-in on the RyanAir app, or will I need a printed BP, so the agent can write "Docs OK", or similar on it. I'm not sure if I'll have access to a printer.
The website previously specified a paper boarding pass was required for non-EU passports. They don't say this anymore, but still refer to having "travel documents stamped".

To be on the safe side, I would strongly recommend getting a printed copy. Most hotel receptions in Europe will happily print a Ryanair boarding pass if you email them the PDF (they are well used to low cost airline passengers). Otherwise paying for 15 minutes at an internet cafe is much cheaper than paying Ryanair's "boarding pass reissue fee" of 15 or 15.
Old Feb 19, 16, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, when I read the page on the RyanAir website about mobile BPs, it says that only people with EU ID can use them.

So, I'm in Chicago right now, on my way to Berlin, and I'm flying out on Ryan Tuesday and back Wednesday. I decided rather than trying to stress over finding an internet cafe, or other place to print, AND time it such that a seat I'm interested in seems to be the next available one, I just decided to check-in from my hotel in Chicago, that offers free printing.

I got 23A & 12D. No middle seat, of course, is the main thing, plus, it's only showing 75 minutes from gate to gate, so I'm sure I'll live!!

Thanx again for all yer help! I suppose, if I need to check a bag on the way back, I can do a re-check in, somehow, and add a bag?
Old Feb 19, 16, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
A few months ago I tried using the mobile app to get my (non-EU) BP and it said I needed to print it.
Old Feb 19, 16, 10:59 am

[...deleted...]

Last edited by Mizter T; Feb 19, 16 at 11:20 am

Search this Thread