Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm seeing a lot of $300ish transatlantic airfares this winter from the major carriers. The advent of transatlantic Basic Economy (no free checked bags) seems like a smart innovation from the majors -- just like it was smart when domestic Basic Economy was launched. It really puts some pressure on the low cost airlines that price "a la carte."

This would suggest a dark and very unprofitable winter for Norwegian.

But they will certainly be aided by the freefall in oil prices the past couple of weeks (my previous post on this was prescient -- given how many "experts" were then predicting $100 oil!). Will cheaper fuel be enough to keep the lights on at Norwegian this winter? I guess we won't know until spring.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:05 am

Does the purchase of WOW by Iceland Air put pressure on Norwegian to accept an offer from IAG?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adirondacker
Does the purchase of WOW by Iceland Air put pressure on Norwegian to accept an offer from IAG?
I don't think the WOW situation matters. It might theoretically help Norwegian -- eventually -- if Icelandair now reduces capacity in its two brands.

Norwegian might feel pressured to accept an IAG offer if it determines that it ALSO is running out of money. We'll see.
Adirondacker likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: IC, WN, Hyatt, Avis
Originally Posted by iahphx
I don't think the WOW situation matters. It might theoretically help Norwegian -- eventually -- if Icelandair now reduces capacity in its two brands.

Norwegian might feel pressured to accept an IAG offer if it determines that it ALSO is running out of money. We'll see.

My flight booked for March from YYZ-BCN has disappeared from the WOW schedule and it looks like Icelandair is not flying the KEF-BCN portion either. I haven't heard anything from WOW. Still 4 months out but....
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:55 pm
Suspended

I'm seeing a lot of $300ish transatlantic airfares this winter from the major carriers. The advent of transatlantic Basic Economy (no free checked bags) seems like a smart innovation from the majors -- just like it was smart when domestic Basic Economy was launched. It really puts some pressure on the low cost airlines that price "a la carte."

This would suggest a dark and very unprofitable winter for Norwegian.

But they will certainly be aided by the freefall in oil prices the past couple of weeks (my previous post on this was prescient -- given how many "experts" were then predicting $100 oil!). Will cheaper fuel be enough to keep the lights on at Norwegian this winter? I guess we won't know until spring.
the lower fares are a sign of the recession kicking in. Travel is the 1st thing to suffer. The big boys will hurt as well.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by southpac
the lower fares are a sign of the recession kicking in. Travel is the 1st thing to suffer. The big boys will hurt as well.
How are the accommodations on Fantasy Island these days?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:18 am
Suspended

How are the accommodations on Fantasy Island these days?
wow just wow. Scary if you can't see the recession coming. Hope you don't owe any $$$$

2020 is just going to be awful & Trump can now blame the stupid democrats, so he will easily be re elected.

Brexit

Airlines closing down all over Europe.

Trade war

Doesn't take much to tip things over.

In Australia the real estate market has completely collapsed.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:59 am

I’m due to fly from EDI-SWF in January but I’m now wondering if the flights will be cancelled. I know the route stops from the end of March but looking at the booking calendar nearly every day from mid January onwards has no low fares left just full price flex fares. Looks to me as if they don’t want people booking it so they can cancel it.

I suppose there is not much I can do except wait and see. But if they are going to be cancelled then hopefully passengers are told sooner rather than at the airport on the day...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by southpac
Corporate travel is what suffers most in a downturn. Leisure travel demand is much more constant. Certainly influenced but to a much less degree.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c225
I’m due to fly from EDI-SWF in January but I’m now wondering if the flights will be cancelled. I know the route stops from the end of March but looking at the booking calendar nearly every day from mid January onwards has no low fares left just full price flex fares. Looks to me as if they don’t want people booking it so they can cancel it.

I suppose there is not much I can do except wait and see. But if they are going to be cancelled then hopefully passengers are told sooner rather than at the airport on the day...
Are you booked for travel AFTER Jan 13? Because, yes, looking at their fare calendar, I think we can make a reasonable assumption that this is the last day this flight is likely to operate. Sucky that they're not just cancelling the flight.

Are you just travelling from EDI, or is that just a connecting city from elsewhere in Europe?

If you're flying after Jan. 13, I would contact Norwegian's customer service and demand to know what the story is. They probably won't tell you. I would then file a complaint with the DOT. That might get Norwegian's attention. You might want to contact one of the local reporters who's written about this flight and tell them your problem, too.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:19 pm

Are you booked for travel AFTER Jan 13? Because, yes, looking at their fare calendar, I think we can make a reasonable assumption that this is the last day this flight is likely to operate. Sucky that they're not just cancelling the flight.

Are you just travelling from EDI, or is that just a connecting city from elsewhere in Europe?

If you're flying after Jan. 13, I would contact Norwegian's customer service and demand to know what the story is. They probably won't tell you. I would then file a complaint with the DOT. That might get Norwegian's attention. You might want to contact one of the local reporters who's written about this flight and tell them your problem, too.
unfortunatley I am after the 13th right at the end of the month. I booked a few nights holiday a few months back as it was so cheap. I live near Edinburgh so at least Ive not booked any connecting flights.

Ill send an email but I expect to get a its still scheduled to fly message back but if its obviously not going to run why not just cancel it?

i doubt there is any chance they would get what passengers there is down to Gatwick to get on their flights from there?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c225

unfortunatley I am after the 13th right at the end of the month. I booked a few nights holiday a few months back as it was so cheap. I live near Edinburgh so at least Ive not booked any connecting flights.

Ill send an email but I expect to get a its still scheduled to fly message back but if its obviously not going to run why not just cancel it?

i doubt there is any chance they would get what passengers there is down to Gatwick to get on their flights from there?
Yes, I would think that Gatwick WOULD be offered to you as an alternative. In fact, if all they want to do is refund your money, and you don't want that, you should demand a Gatwick flight. I'd be very surprised if they refused to rebook you there. I'd also ask for compensation for having to get to Gatwick. US$50 would seem fair to me, but that's probably a harder sell that just getting your ticket reissued for Gatwick.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:21 pm
Suspended

southpac, if you are so sure that a recession is coming, please invest every single penny you have in put options.
Go ahead, back up your words with actions.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Corporate travel is what suffers most in a downturn. Leisure travel demand is much more constant. Certainly influenced but to a much less degree.
this is going to be the biggest downturn ever so both will suffer. Australians have reduced their spending already dramatically.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GFrye
southpac, if you are so sure that a recession is coming, please invest every single penny you have in put options.
Go ahead, back up your words with actions.
Yep, offloaded most of our rental properties before the market crashed completely. WOn't be able to sell the rest for 5 years or more now, unless we want to take a big cut in price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.