Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As far as I understood it is all of the yet to be delivered Airbus 320NEO that they are trying to off load. As they will not need the capacity growth coming from this.

Norwegian very proudly made the biggest airliner orders in European history, ordering bunch of 737MAX and a bunch of A320NEO. Reason for splitting between two manufacturers was that they could get the planes quicker that way. Some people doubted what they would do with all those aircraft, well now we know.
Well, looks like that plan has changed. Here's the slide deck: https://www.norwegian.com/globalasse...ember-2018.pdf
Note that on page 19, the subbullet point under the sale of 140 aircraft has 6 737-800s sold in August to count against the 140 aircraft.

The expansion in Argentina is rumored to be going poorly, as the government isn't happy with Norwegian's sales model (additional charges for luggage, seats).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by itsallgood
Well, looks like that plan has changed. Here's the slide deck: https://www.norwegian.com/globalasse...ember-2018.pdf
Note that on page 19, the subbullet point under the sale of 140 aircraft has 6 737-800s sold in August to count against the 140 aircraft.

The expansion in Argentina is rumored to be going poorly, as the government isn't happy with Norwegian's sales model (additional charges for luggage, seats).
The NEOs was only 65, so yeah they need a few more from somewhere

Supposedly they started the bookings in Argentina already. So one would hope they have the regulations on board.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's hard to imagine a worse distraction than Argentina for Norwegian right now. There's no way Argentina could possibly be profitable for Norwegian in the foreseeable future. If there was ever an airline that deserved to die, it's Norwegian. Their management team is determined to do everything wrong.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
... yet they survive...

The A320 neo production slots are certainly worth something, though I doubt they will be able to sell them for more than the downpayment they had to make to Airbus when they signed the papers. Which also must be a sizeable chunk of cash which they can't sell and leaseback

NAS bet on the fact that their new neo and max fleet will save the cost increase that fuel may have. I think fuel prices increased far more than that and the cost savings were used a few times in other places like the unit cost of production going down etc.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
... yet they survive...

The A320 neo production slots are certainly worth something, though I doubt they will be able to sell them for more than the downpayment they had to make to Airbus when they signed the papers. Which also must be a sizeable chunk of cash which they can't sell and leaseback

NAS bet on the fact that their new neo and max fleet will save the cost increase that fuel may have. I think fuel prices increased far more than that and the cost savings were used a few times in other places like the unit cost of production going down etc.
Winter is Coming.

Q3 has historically been Norwegian's profitable quarter. Look at Norwegian's monthly traffic reports for Jul, Aug, and Sep. Their monthly RASM was .47, .40, and .33. If you look at their September Investor Presentation (see the link below that I posted), you'll see that Norwegian's CASM for Q2 was .41. How much did that increase with higher fuel prices? At best, Q3 was marginally profitable for Norwegian before one time adjustments.

Now do everyone a favor and take a look at Norwegian's Q4 and Q1 historic profitability losses. Norwegian was dangerously close to breaching bond covenants before the secondary stock offering. And the money they raised was little more than enough to tide them through the summer.

As far as value to Norwegian's A320 NEO orders, I don't know where you're coming up with that. Other airlines are circling overhead, waiting to pick clean the dead carcass. They're in no rush to give Norwegian a financial lifeline.

Absent someone deciding that they want to pour kerosene on their money and light it on fire in the form of an equity investment in Norwegian, this company is almost certainly dead within six months.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Absent someone deciding that they want to pour kerosene on their money and light it on fire in the form of an equity investment in Norwegian, this company is almost certainly dead within six months.
I recently booked flight from IAD to Europe, traveling in June next year. Travel time for Norwegian was on par with regular airlines like KLM, UA, and BA, and price wise Norwegian's pricing was on par with Wow and Icelandair. The choice came down to DY and UA, mostly because I don't think Wow will be around and the scheduling for DY and UA was better than the other alternatives.
While traveling on a DY 787 would be preferable over UA's old and tired planes, I can't trust that DY will still be around, so I went with UA.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GFrye
I recently booked flight from IAD to Europe, traveling in June next year. Travel time for Norwegian was on par with regular airlines like KLM, UA, and BA, and price wise Norwegian's pricing was on par with Wow and Icelandair. The choice came down to DY and UA, mostly because I don't think Wow will be around and the scheduling for DY and UA was better than the other alternatives.
While traveling on a DY 787 would be preferable over UA's old and tired planes, I can't trust that DY will still be around, so I went with UA.
with the massive worldwide recession starting to kick in, who's to say UA won't fall over 1st. They have very high costs
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by southpac
with the massive worldwide recession starting to kick in, who's to say UA won't fall over 1st. They have very high costs
Um, in the real world, I'm pretty sure (well, 99.999%) that UA will be around next year. Norwegian, not so sure.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
Um, in the real world, I'm pretty sure (well, 99.999%) that UA will be around next year. Norwegian, not so sure.
oh really ? Would you bet your house on it ? I wouldn't. How many times have UA gone broke in the past 3 decades ? 3 or more ?

With recessions, business flying drops off or business people look for cheaper options.

Many airlines are failing in Europe right now. Just cos UA are big doesn't mean they won't fail again.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Firstly what massive recession? The economy is still very strong, which is shown by record numbers of people flying.

Secondly, United’s costs are well under control. Their ex-fuel unit costs have fallen this year, and their revenues are soaring. Their Q3 profit margin fell less than 1% despite fuel costs increasing circa 40%. They’ve overtaken American in profitability, as well as JetBlue. United (along with Delta, IAG/BA and Lufhtansa) is in a very strong position to flourish in the high fuel cost environment and take market share from others who stumble. Indeed that’s already happening vs AA.

Norwegian’s Q3,results had some encouraging signs. But they’re now going into the winter quarters which have been terrible in the past. They have 5 billion NOK in liquidity but 3.2 billion of that is all down to selling assets and private equity placements to prevent them breaching bond covenants and going under in March. Will NOK 5bn be enough to survive the next six months? If fuel prices drop then yes quite possibly. If they stay where they are or go up it’s goong to be very very tough.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh really ? Would you bet your house on it ?
Yes, I would bet my house on United Airlines being in business next year.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:09 pm
Suspended

How many times have UA gone broke in the past 3 decades ? 3 or more ?
Once.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:14 am
Suspended

wow, do you live in a bubble. It's a perfect storm.

1) trade war
2) increasing interest rates
etc.

Before a crash, things are always good, that's why it's called a crash.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:47 am
Suspended

You are correct that someone lives is a bubble. But it’s not who you think it is.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GFrye
You are correct that someone lives is a bubble. But it’s not who you think it is.
Yeah, folks have "predicted" 20 of the last 3 recessions.

Obviously, there will be another recession. The problem is that it's a useless exercise to try to predict "when." It's almost like trying to predict oil prices. I used to do that for a living, until we realized it was entirely impossible. There's this concept called "financialization" where oil doesn't trade on oil supply and demand, but trades primarily on the demand for oil futures as an investment vehicle. So it's about as hard as predicting a financial recession. Better off spending your time on other work.

As far as airlines go, it's obviously safer to book advance tickets on airlines that are financially stable (and that includes United) and not those who lose lots of money (and that includes Norwegian). But everything has a price. So if you're paying by credit card for a Norwegian ticket, you should be able to get your money back if they go under before your flight. Of course, if you really, really have to get somewhere on a certain date, it's probably best not to book on risky, financially unstable carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.