Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
There are many different "low fare" airline models. JetBlue's is remarkably different from Norwegian. JetBlue may indeed start serving Europe from Boston in the next couple of years, if they can make the math work. They'd have a real chance of success, because they have a solid biz class product, Mint, that could actually help pay the bills across the Atlantic. Norwegian has nothing other than a wing and a prayer.
Norwegian has nothing other than a wing, a prayer and $100 TATL fares. Why should anybody care about Norwegian's business model when they are flying TATL in a brand new 787 for $100? That sure beats a trip across the pond in the back of an old United garbage truck for much more money in my book.

I find your endless venom directed at Norwegian hilarious. Why do you feel so threatened by them?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:35 pm

Well, I wouldn't assume those investors were too bright. Have you been following the performance of Norwegian's stock the past year? Suddenly, their shareholders are having that Captain Obvious moment when they realize that they were clueless about how bad Norwegian's business model is. This doesn't surprise me: in 2 decades of following the stock market performance of the US airlines, I've seen many instances of absolutely clueless investor behavior. In this case, the level of investor sophistication seemed to be "hey if Ryanair can make money being low cost, so can Norwegian." Obviously, it isn't that simple. Anyone who knew the industry would know why Norwegian's gamble is so incredibly risky (which is why the established low cost airlines passed on this idea).
Norwegian stock is up 28% so far in 2018. In passenger terms they grew with 13.7% to 33.2 million in 17, making them the 8th biggest airline in Europe (SAS - 28m, Finnair - 12m). Some of you guys make it sound like this is an upstart doing a crazy gamble knowing nothing about running an airline, when in fact the transatlantic operation is an addition to their backbone operation. Since 2005, they've been profitable in 10 out of 12 years. In 2016 they made a profit of 1.5 bn nok. 2017 was a bad year for many different reasons, the CEO calling it a sh*t year. They'll be around break even, while 2018 is set to be a decent money making year. 17 and 18 are the big expansion years, from 19 and onwards the expansion will happen at a less breakneck speed. If things go reasonably well, Norwegian will be a 40m airline making a decent profit mid 19, solidifying their operations and maturing their markets in the years coming. Of course things can go wrong, it is risky, this business is risky, in which case they will have big assets and they will be an attractive candidate for a takeover.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darby
I find your endless venom directed at Norwegian hilarious. Why do you feel so threatened by them?
It's not venom. Just reality.

Shares of Norwegian went up last week because they issued a traffic report that was viewed as optimistic -- optimistic in the sense that it did not indicate any further deterioration in their business.

But they are still only achieving unit revenue of about 5 cents a mile. That's crazy low. There's no way that's sustainable.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Norwegian Air drops service to Norway, adds flights to Ireland

Originally Posted by Providence Journal
Norwegian Air is reducing its flights from T.F. Green Airport to Edinburgh, Scotland, and dropping service to Bergen, Norway, but increasing flights to Shannon, Ireland, according to the Rhode Island Airport Corporation.

Overall, the airline will reduce by one the number of weekly flights departing Green during the summer of 2018. Last summer, the airline flew from Green 18 times a week. This summer, it will fly 17 times.

“RIAC views this as a minor market adjustment based on demand and appreciates Norwegian’s ongoing commitment to T.F. Green Airport,” the airport corporation said in a statement.
Summer 2018 from T.F: Green Airport:
Dublin - 5 times weekly
Shannon - 4
Cork - 3
Edinburgh - 3
Belfast - 2
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:23 am

http://www.courant.com/community/new-britain/hc-br-norwegian-air-bradley-20180115-story.html

Norwegian to drop Bradley to Edinburgh

Last edited by Adirondacker; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:30 am Reason: Added
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops....
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Just flew PVD-ORK round-trip. Plane was half empty on the way there and more than half empty on the way back. Glad I got a chance to do it because it seems impossible to think this one is going to stick around.
FatherTed likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adirondacker
http://www.courant.com/community/new-britain/hc-br-norwegian-air-bradley-20180115-story.html

Norwegian to drop Bradley to Edinburgh
Well, obviously, that was an insane route to begin with.

The language in the article made me dig further (as there doesn't seem to be any national media coverage of these developments). It appears that they're going to go from 7 to 4 weekly flights on the Newburgh-Edinburgh route, but increasing Newburgh-Dublin from 2 to 3 weekly flights.

Norwegian Air Making Some Changes at Stewart Airport

Norwegian says the problem isn't demand, but taxes. They were hoping that Scotland would lower its departure taxes (the UK departure taxes are crazy high) and that didn't happen. This is largely disingenuous, of course. I guess the hope is that if Scotland reduced taxes by $50, Norwegian could pocket that and make the route profitable. I say good luck with that! The market is not static (like they have competitors), and they're probably going to have to pay more for fuel this summer than last.

Norwegian'd big problem is that they have a transatlantic business model that doesn't work. That said, if you wanted to lose less money, logic would suggest that 2x Dublin and 7x Edinburgh was not the best way to do that.

BTW, I love how the local reporter said the Newburgh service is "a big success" in a story discussing a cutback in service. He's obviously not talking about financial success.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:09 am

https://patch.com/new-york/midhudsonvalley/express-bus-service-stewart-airport-celebrates-50k-riders
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Norwegian says the problem isn't demand, but taxes. They were hoping that Scotland would lower its departure taxes (the UK departure taxes are crazy high) and that didn't happen. This is largely disingenuous, of course.
It is not being disingenuous.

If you look at the locations from which B737 Max service was launched - Dublin, Shannon, Cork, Belfast, and Edinburgh - it should strike you that no English or Welsh cities were served. The Republic of Ireland has no equivalent of UK APD. In Northern Ireland, APD was abolished 5 years ago for direct flights of greater than 2,000 miles. Edinburgh is therefore the standout.

Scotland had planned to replace UK APD in Scotland with a new devolved Air Departure Tax (ADT) from April next year, initially at a rate of 50% of UK APD [so, an ADT rate of Ł39 from 1 April 2018 instead of the APD rate of Ł78], before being scrapped altogether. However - as with so many other topics in the UK at present - the entire scheme is in limbo while the "strong and stable" Westminster government continues to squabble amongst itself, rather than running the country.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A reduction in tax at Edinburgh would increase RATIONAL transatlantic air service to Edinburgh. It would not help Norwegian, unless you consider "helping" to mean losing less money.

The Scottish market is smaller than Dublin's. Dublin has modest taxes. Believe me, if it was a great idea to fly lots of low cost flights across the Atlantic, Ryanair would have done it a decade ago from DUB. It's only 3000 miles to BOS from DUB.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A reduction in tax at Edinburgh would increase RATIONAL transatlantic air service to Edinburgh. It would not help Norwegian, unless you consider "helping" to mean losing less money.
No-one is talking about "helping" Norwegian.

You implied that Norwegian's stated reasons for reducing service from EDI were disingenuous. I have proven that this claim is itself disingenuous - until October it was almost universally assumed that APD would no longer be charged from April 2018 in Scotland, and that a lower Scottish ADT would take its place, before being abolished.

It is now clear that UK APD will continue to apply from Scotland for the foreseeable future.

The Scottish market is smaller than Dublin's. Dublin has modest taxes.
How so?

Scotland has a higher population than the Republic of Ireland.

If we go along the lines of your argument regarding, say, Emirates, who have "no home market to speak of", then we can't even account for the fact that Dublin is the hub for that airport's largest transatlantic operator, and is therefore able to carry far more passengers than the "Dublin market" alone can sustain. (Dublin is the EU's 11th largest airport in terms of passengers handled, but the 5th largest in terms of transatlantic passengers, behind only Heathrow, Paris-De Gaulle, Frankfurt and Amsterdam. I need hardly remind you that Dublin/Ireland is many times smaller in terms of "market size" than the UK, France, Germany or the Netherlands.

As such, the fact that Dublin handled 20% more transatlantic traffic last year than in the previous year - up to a record 3.5 million - must only be attributed to Dublin's "modest taxes", right?

Originally Posted by Dublin Airport
Transatlantic traffic was the fastest-growing segment of the market for the second year in a row. Transatlantic passenger numbers increased by 20% last year to almost 3.5 million - the first time that more than 3 million passengers have taken transatlantic flights to and from Dublin Airport in a single year.

Believe me, if it was a great idea to fly lots of low cost flights across the Atlantic, Ryanair would have done it a decade ago from DUB. It's only 3000 miles to BOS from DUB.
A decade ago, Ryanair were a mere third of their current size (in terms of passengers carried), and were not yet Europe's largest airline. Their growth plans are still focused on shorthaul...and they are still growing the market.

Ryanair are not "innovators"; once the long-haul ULCC model has been proven, you can expect them to muscle in.

And besides, you know that there were no aircraft capable of sustainably operating low-cost flights across the Atlantic in existence a decade ago.

This assumption that money can't be made across the Atlantic, when there is still such potential scope for growing the market (just look how much European shorthaul has grown over the last 20 years), shows a lack of vision. The TATL is not a zero-sum game with a fixed, unchangeable number of pax.

To return to your "Dublin market", it has doubled in the past 15 years; and transatlantic traffic has more than doubled since 2010 and is growing at 20% per annum. And that's in a stable, mature "market".

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 24, 2018 at 8:16 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Norwegian Air to double flights on Dublin-New York route

Originally Posted by The Irish Times

From April airline will up its service with first flight from Dublin taking off at 8.30am

Norwegian plans to double services from Dublin to Stewart International Airport in New York state to twice a day from April 26th.

The move will make 66,000 extra seats available to travellers on the route this year and bring to 29 the number of flights that the airline will offer between Ireland and the US.

More than 130,000 people have flown on Norwegian’s Irish-US services since it launched last July, according to Thomas Ramdahl, Norwegian’s chief commercial officer.
Originally Posted by "[url=https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/highflying-norwegian-to-increase-us-flights-36576180.html
The Irish Independent[/url]"
It's also increasing its summer service from Shannon, doubling the frequency of flights to Providence, Rhode Island, from two to four a week, and adding a third weekly flight to New York.

A spokesman for Norwegian said the double-daily service between Dublin and Stewart International may become a year-round service if there's sufficient demand.
Adirondacker likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Norwegian is already warning that their financial results -- which will be announced tomorrow -- are "a mess."

Duh.

https://skift.com/2018/02/13/norwegi...liver-in-2017/

I guess we'll see how messy tomorrow. The problem is that I don't see how their transatlantic model will ever work. High traffic routes from major cities would seem most logical, but the major carriers have gotten more sophisticated in competing against such competition. In the USA, this has caused the ULCCs to seek nonstop markets from non-hub cities which, at least theoretically, stimulates new traffic. But I don't see how that works across the Atlantic. I don't think you can sell enough Hartford-Cork tickets at any price to have a business.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you can sell enough Hartford-Cork tickets at any price to have a business.
Are you leaking the next route announcement?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.