FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other European Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines-469/)
-   -   Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1712218-norwegian-fly-between-uk-ireland-u-s-ne-coast-cities-summer-2017-a.html)

BOSTravels Jun 22, 2017 7:38 am

The question is: how will legacy carriers survive the capacity onslaught with their high personnel and maintenance costs.

tphuang Jun 25, 2017 7:32 am

Originally Posted by BOSTravels (Post 28473610)
The question is: how will legacy carriers survive the capacity onslaught with their high personnel and maintenance costs.

BA makes their money off the premium cabin and price Y to Europe via LHR pretty cheaply. So the AA/BA while getting lower yield will be fine, not sure about the other JVs. Will be interesting to see what happens to premium cabin once B6 gets in there, but they are most likely not going to have slots in LHR.

CPH-Flyer Jun 25, 2017 7:50 am

DY will eat some of the market, but they will probably also helo grow the total market. Some legacy carriers will struggle and die, but I venture the guess that most of the current ones in the trans Atlantic market will survive.

irishguy28 Jun 29, 2017 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Indo Business
Today in Seattle, Norwegian CEO Bjorn Kjos is preparing to take delivery of the airline's first 737 Max jet. The handover ceremony at the Boeing factory will involve plenty of razzmatazz for airplane geeks before Kjos steps on board for the flight to Oslo. But it also marks an important step in the evolution of Norwegian, with the high-tech jet being a linchpin of the group's efforts to provide low-cost transatlantic travel between Ireland and the US.

But Tore (pronounced Tor-eh) Jenssen won't be there. The CEO of Dublin-based Norwegian Air International (NAI), a subsidiary of Norwegian Air Shuttle, will instead be rubbing shoulders with passengers taking off on the first-ever scheduled transatlantic service from Cork this weekend.

NAI had intended to use the Max aircraft for its inaugural services between Ireland and the US; flights also start from Dublin, Shannon and Belfast on Saturday. But delivery delays mean for now all the routes will use Boeing 737-800 aircraft, which carries fewer passengers, until the Max comes into full service in a few weeks' time.

"We hope to get them on the routes in two to three weeks," says Jenssen (39), over coffee at the small, nondescript NAI headquarters at Dublin Airport where about 80 staff are employed.

<snip>

Interestingly, Ryanair chairman David Bonderman has said Ryanair won't get involved in low-cost transatlantic travel, saying routes between Ireland and the US can't be stimulated by pricing.

Tore disagrees. He points to between 140,000 and 150,000 tickets sold by Norwegian (albeit at very low, introductory fares). And flyers are also prepared to jet to secondary airports. The NAI New York service is to Stewart International Airport, about 80 minutes north of Manhattan. What NAI describes as a Boston service is actually to Providence, Rhode Island, about 70 minutes away. It remains to see now how self-sufficient the routes will be.

The Indo has also reported that NAI is considering flights from Dublin to Asia if it can get Russian overflight rights. They report Beijing as the likely first destination, despite resurfacing rumours of Hainan's expected announcement of a new indirect service to Dublin.

iahphx Jul 5, 2017 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 28470595)
Their margin was like -24% or something ridiculous like that. I'm sure it will be better in the summer time, but I would imagine they still loose a lot of money. Their entire business model is to grow into profitability by offering really cheap fares. They have a humongous fleet of new orders that need to be paid off somehow. They really don't have any kind of premium service to speak of, so the only way to make money is off these low yields, which is pretty hard to do. And of course, once B6 starts flying TATL out of BOS and JFK at $300 O/W, I'm not sure what happens to Norwegian business plan.

If this new service lasts another 6 or 7 months, I will be surprised. The business plan is simply horrific. The only worse business plans in the industry are from the Middle East airlines, and they get billions in subsidies, so it doesn't matter if their flights are profitable. To my knowledge, nobody is subsidizing Norwegian's transatlantic service.

Personally, I think it's risky to book much beyond September (although you would presumably be able to get a refund if the service is cancelled). I've got family travelling in the next month on this service, and as long as they have the aircraft available (and I haven't heard of any problems), they should be OK. From the two online trip reports I've read, the service is very basic, but it will get you across the Atlantic.

That's just funny. The legacy carriers will survive by flying places that people want to travel to at fares they are willing to pay for. For the US airlines, at least, business has never been better. Honestly, it takes an amazingly terrible business plan to lose money in the airline industry these days. Norwegian is very "special" in this regard.

oliver2002 Jul 6, 2017 12:45 am

[QUOTE=iahphx;28524581 I've got family travelling in the next month on this service, and as long as they have the aircraft available (and I haven't heard of any problems), they should be OK. [/QUOTE]

Umm...
https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/s...60217077092353

Passengers were left for "five hours with no information" after one of the first Norwegian flights to the US was grounded.

A flight from Shannon Airport to Providence did not take off due to an aircraft technical issue.

Passengers had boarded the flight and remained on-board for around an hour before they were told they would need to disembark

sethMCOflyer Jul 6, 2017 5:49 am

Anyone have their flight cancelled/moved?

I'm not supposed to fly with Norwegian until November, probably the farthest out I've ever bought tickets, and I got an email this morning that they were moving my flight home, CDG-MCO, from Saturday to Thursday.

Even more peculiar is if I go to their website, they don't show any flights on that route at all in November. I looked MCO-CDG flights on their website and they only show flights on Mondays while I'm schedule to fly on Saturday, haven't heard anything about this booking yet.

I guess I'll give them a call at lunch to see what's going on.

EDIT: Now they're moving my flight there to a Thursday as well... Going to call to see if they can rebook on a different airline for the same days but I have doubts.

oliver2002 Jul 6, 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Seth Moore (Post 28525921)
EDIT: Now they're moving my flight there to a Thursday as well... Going to call to see if they can rebook on a different airline for the same days but I have doubts.

Erm, what part of ultra lo co carrier did you miss when booking your ticket? Norwegian doesn't have any interline agreement with any other airline, so when you book Norwegian you fly Norwegian. :)

irishguy28 Jul 6, 2017 6:21 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 28524581)
That's just funny. The legacy carriers will survive by flying places that people want to travel to at fares they are willing to pay for. For the US airlines, at least, business has never been better.

Because the US legacies have consolidated in their home market - protected from outsiders - to the extent that most markets there are all but monopolies.

The US customer is being gouged at home - but what does that matter as long as the airlines are banking record profits?

http://www.anna.aero/2013/12/04/77pc...ng-passengers/
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...omestic-routes
https://www.economist.com/news/leade...e-lessons-lack

sethMCOflyer Jul 6, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28525980)
Erm, what part of ultra lo co carrier did you miss when booking your ticket? Norwegian doesn't have any interline agreement with any other airline, so when you book Norwegian you fly Norwegian. :)

Ah you never know.

I talked to them and they seemed to not really care, it was "fly two days earlier or have a refund." They weren't interested in changing my destination from Paris to London either, which really would make the most sense.

So I guess when you book with these guys you can expect that your travel isn't really confirmed until you're in the air and can see the destination in sight.

iahphx Jul 6, 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28525295)

Yeah, this is the thing I most worry about when it comes to putting friends and family on Norwegian. But it's the same problem when you're flying an airline like Spirit. The odds of a major service disruption are still fairly low, but they're vastly higher than if you're flying a major airline. Obviously, if you absolutely have to be there at a certain time, you shouldn't be flying these airlines. Otherwise, you'll obviously want a significant discount to compensate yourself for the increased risk of a service disruption.

I would also note that many of the major European airlines have regular strikes and such, so it's not like the competition is super reliable.

Originally Posted by Seth Moore (Post 28527656)
Ah you never know.

I talked to them and they seemed to not really care, it was "fly two days earlier or have a refund." They weren't interested in changing my destination from Paris to London either, which really would make the most sense.

So I guess when you book with these guys you can expect that your travel isn't really confirmed until you're in the air and can see the destination in sight.

I don't blame Norwegian for this -- if they're not flying, they're not flying -- but as a consumer, you definitely should be aware of the significant risk of a major schedule change. As presumably all of their transatlantic flights are money losers, the risk is obviously much greater than with a traditional carrier. I would think the Newburgh flights will be particularly risky after the summer, given the absurd nature of that service.

iahphx Jul 6, 2017 8:47 pm

As a fun fact, I was told today that Norwegian doesn't offer online check-in for their USA-originating flights. The website sort of suggests they do, so you might waste some time if you don't know this fact. I don't know the story for the flights back, but I assume it's the same.

BTW, the website also says you need to enter your passport information 72 hours in advance for flights to the UK. I believe that's just nonsense, and wouldn't be enforced.

CPH-Flyer Jul 6, 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 28529433)
I would also note that many of the major European airlines have regular strikes and such, so it's not like the competition is super reliable.

Major European airlines will rebook you on partner and competitor airlines' flights to the extend possible to get you to your destination. That's a major difference.

iahphx Jul 6, 2017 8:56 pm

If you're watching for signs of Norwegian's eventual financial doom, here's one potential sign.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...igns-1.3145413

oliver2002 Jul 7, 2017 1:29 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28529462)
Major European airlines will rebook you on partner and competitor airlines' flights to the extend possible to get you to your destination. That's a major difference.

Because they have an interline agreement. Which costs money.