Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Drastic difference in rates when selecting Euros vs USD on Norwegina flights??

Old Mar 14, 15, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone. I'm looking at flights to Europe over the summer and noticed on Norwegian airlines, rates jump significantly if I select my "currency" as USD over Euros. For my particular flight, Euros fee is 536 while USD is 675... I've looked up the conversion and it's about $100USD difference. I've been looking at flights for several hours straight, so I may be idiotically missing something here... can someone point it out or is that legit?

Also, if I use the Euro rate and pay with a CC that does not charge foreign transaction fees, I should be good to go right? I know that bank's conversion rate may be slightly different, but it shouldn't be anywhere near making up that $100USD difference? Please help!

Last edited by EmailKid; Mar 14, 15 at 11:58 pm Reason: Make title clearer
Old Mar 14, 15, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk wongj1985.

We have a dedicated European Budget Airlines forum, so I am moving your question from Budget Travel.

I also took the liberty to edit your title to make it more clear.

~ moderator
Old Mar 15, 15, 4:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Go ahead and pay in euros. EUR has plummeted against the USD in recent weeks, but apparently Norwegian has not updated their exchange rates. It is probably also a good idea to check whether paying in NOK would yield an even better result.
Old Mar 16, 15, 6:45 am

Programs: MUCCI
I don't know the norwegian website, however:

Check the prices quoted in USD do include all taxes.

- Displayed/quoted prices in Europe should generally include all taxes that are applicable, where as in the USA it is practice that taxes can be added on at checkout.

Accordingly, some airlines sites don't include taxes when in 'USA mode', but they do when in the modes for European countries. (Of course some sites separate country and currency into two different settings...)

Additionally, make sure the prices quoted are bookable in that currency. Some sites enforce restrictions to charge in the local currency of departure airport of the outbound flight. Accordingly, pricing could be just indicative, etc.

EDIT TO ADD: Just seen it is EUR that is cheaper. However I will leave the post up as it is a valid point.
Old Mar 17, 15, 4:57 pm

NOK is the cheapest way to pay on the Norwegian site. Certainly for European short haul. Makes sense really.