Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

IcelandAir Saga Class Cancellation Provisions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond

My husband and I are interested in going to Iceland late this summer. He's 76 and has chronic health issues. Mostly they just mean he has to keep a leisurely pace or he wears out and develops some kind of respiratory bug that morphs into pneumonia. But I digress...

We're looking at nonstops from YYZ to KEF in Saga Class. According to IcelandAir's site, Saga fares are refundable other than possible "no-show" and "service" fees. I understand the "no-show fees"- most likely you can avoid them by letting the airline know ahead of time if you can't make the flight. Any idea how bad the "service fee" is? The airfares are about $2,200 pp round trip so if it's, say, 30% of the airfare it would be a major penalty. If it's 10%, well, that's almost tolerable.

Their "cancellation fee" that you can pay up front allows you to cancel for medical reasons other than pre-existing. Since just about anything that could make my husband unable to travel could be traced back to his main condition (polycythemia), that doesn't work for us, although trip cancellation insurance form an insurance company might be the answer.

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I recently flew Icelandair in Saga Class between Europe and the US, via Iceland. I looked at my reservation and it said a fee of 210 Euro would be applied for cancellations prior to departure. I assume the fee would be lower as you're just going to Iceland.

Enjoy Iceland! It is an amazingly beautiful country with some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond

Thanks! We're excited; we're fascinated by geology, history and Old English. I think we'll love it; just need to pace it so DH doesn't wear out. I plan to explore a lot while he's resting and come back with him to sites he might like. We may go for insurance regardless; between his health issues and my running around volcanoes either of us might need emergency care.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
How long are you staying ? I'd be happy to make recommendations ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.