Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

how strict is on easyjet on hand baggage size?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:30 am
Original Poster

How strict is easyjet if my carry-on is 2 cm to tall with the wheels?
if everything is online then when would they size it and charge me?
by boarding?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I have flown Easyjet a few times and although they have those metal baggage sizers at the gate, I have never seen them ask people to put luggage in them to check. The same cannot be said for Ryanair. I have seen Easyjet GAs ask passengers to put small bags inside larger carry-ons several times.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: MUCCI
They can be very strick. But they might well not necessarily be so at any given time (for people very close to limit).

Like virtually all airlines, they do certainly have people looking out for oversized bags at boarding. On a given day / given airport / given flight, that could be someone looking for any thing that could possibly be close to the limit (on either side) to check it, or it could be only looking for the extreme excess items.

Another factor will be load. If the flight is very busy, gate staff will be more concious and concerned about the onboard space issue, so more interested in stopping oversized bags getting on board. And making sure that if some people do have to have their bags placed in the hold, it is those who have exceeded the permitted size who are penalised before those just unluck (if your bag is within size, they may occaisonally need to put it in the hold, without charging you).

Which dimensions are you over? - the guaranteed 50 x 40 x 20cm or the maximum 56 x 45 x 25cm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
They can be very strick. But they might well not necessarily be so at any given time (for people very close to limit).

Like virtually all airlines, they do certainly have people looking out for oversized bags at boarding. On a given day / given airport / given flight, that could be someone looking for any thing that could possibly be close to the limit (on either side) to check it, or it could be only looking for the extreme excess items.

Another factor will be load. If the flight is very busy, gate staff will be more concious and concerned about the onboard space issue, so more interested in stopping oversized bags getting on board. And making sure that if some people do have to have their bags placed in the hold, it is those who have exceeded the permitted size who are penalised before those just unluck (if your bag is within size, they may occaisonally need to put it in the hold, without charging you).

Which dimensions are you over? - the guaranteed 50 x 40 x 20cm or the maximum 56 x 45 x 25cm
i am over the 56, i don't mind the hold, i mind paying a fee for checked baggage, im wondering if they actually would charge me by boarding as i have never seen it done
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:12 am

I've only done a handful of Easyjet flights, and on two out of that handful there were people looking at passengers' bags and sending people to the sizers. At PRG this was done at the gate. At LJU they were walking up and down the security queue (our flight was the only one departing at the time)

I wouldn't risk it. Get a smaller bag.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Short answer: pretty strict. There's a reason they're a budget airline.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: united airlines
I just booked a couple of tickets LGW-MRS and am now starting to feel a little uneasy about it.

Not clear to me about baggage policy. No weight limits for carry-on, just size ones? Up to 50x40x20 is free, but can up be 56x45x25 for a fee (how much extra?)? Then if you have bags that have to go in the hold, what are the charges? But if must go in hold because couldn't be accommodated in overhead, there won't be a charge, making size a critical issue cost-wise?

How much extra, mas o menos, to board early rather than late? Can one know how full the load before they decide to bother paying more to board earlier, which is a different matter from seat assignment, which is also variably priced?

Any special issues on either end of our flight, that is at Gatwick or Marseilles?

Had to pay a few extra bucks to pay with credit card (VISA)? No big deal, but is there some other way to pay without an additional fees? Yes, of course, there is the peculiar things called "cash," but not too practical, especially with airline tickets, at least not in US.

Anything about the EasyJet onboard experience that is different? EasyJet is preferable to RyanAir most of the time, or a toss up?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UltraRant
Short answer: pretty strict. There's a reason they're a budget airline.
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I've only done a handful of Easyjet flights, and on two out of that handful there were people looking at passengers' bags and sending people to the sizers. At PRG this was done at the gate. At LJU they were walking up and down the security queue (our flight was the only one departing at the time)

I wouldn't risk it. Get a smaller bag.
i just flew easyjet a couple times and im convinced i could of brought my kitchen sink with me. most of the times they didnt even check or seem to care and departing mxp there was someone eyeing some bags and stopped some people with full size suitcases but didn't charge them to put it in the hold. seems that usually as long as you do online check-in and don't deal with an agent you should be fine
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:38 am

So do I understand correctly, if one has within regs carry-on but all the overhead is taken before they board, then EasyJet will stow it below without charge? Only if it is oversized will they charge the passenger? And if they do charge, then what are those charges? I saw something about fees starting at 15 pounds, but no more precise details.

We won't be taking very much, but it would be helpful for planning purposes to know what exactly to expect, e.g., if weight not the controlling constraint, then fit everything into one bag rather than two, or if it is a per passenger thing, then split up between two bags. I just don't like the unexpected in these matters and any "gotcha's".
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by itsme
So do I understand correctly, if one has within regs carry-on but all the overhead is taken before they board, then EasyJet will stow it below without charge?
That's correct. And you can stop this from happening by paying for priority boarding, if keeping your baggage with you is important to you.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:04 am

[...] And if they do charge, then what are those charges? I saw something about fees starting at 15 pounds, but no more precise details.
[...]
The fees can be seen on this page, under the Hold luggage fee (at airport) heading.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
It's pretty much up to the gate agent, but they are usually less strict than RyanAir. I have seen people board with huge backpacks twice the size of the luggage tester that barely fit the overhead bin but weren't told to pay anything.

Anything about the EasyJet onboard experience that is different? EasyJet is preferable to RyanAir most of the time, or a toss up?
I would fly EasyJet any day over RyanAir. The prices are almost always comparable, and you get a much better experience on EasyJet.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by sturges
It's pretty much up to the gate agent, but they are usually less strict than RyanAir. I have seen people board with huge backpacks twice the size of the luggage tester that barely fit the overhead bin but weren't told to pay anything.

I would fly EasyJet any day over RyanAir. The prices are almost always comparable, and you get a much better experience on EasyJet.
LGW-MRS was $47 with Ryan, $84 with EasyJet, so ~80% with the latter. But for an absolute difference of $37 (without credit card charge), I wanted to avoid "stories" afterwards, if I could.

Now, I have to go measure our bags and figure what they might weigh, so can figure out what we can expect to pay if we do it online vs at check-in vs at gate. (Who pays at gate, those who thought they might sneak on with bigger/heavier bags than would be allowed?)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:37 pm

Now, I have to go measure our bags and figure what they might weigh, so can figure out what we can expect to pay if we do it online vs at check-in vs at gate. (Who pays at gate, those who thought they might sneak on with bigger/heavier bags than would be allowed?)

There is no weight restriction for carry-ons (which is quite unusual for European carriers), the only stipulation is that you have to be able to life it into the overhead. Size is the only criterion that really matters.

As mentioned before, if you have to gate-check a regulation-size bag because the overhead bins are full you don't pay - so it's only those whose bags don't fit in the sizer that do pay, if they get caught. And from what people have posted it would appear gate agents are more eagle-eyed at some airports than at others.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
easyjet has always been more flexible than FR about hand luggage. Even if FR lately (last 6 months) has become more more more flexible about hand luggage.
So, go and fly!

Just one thing I'd like to know: what about the 2nd hand luggage with Easyjet? I mean you're entitled to carry on board 1 hand luggage + 1 extra small hand lugagge?Do they check dimensions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.