Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

how strict is on easyjet on hand baggage size?

how strict is on easyjet on hand baggage size?

Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
...Just one thing I'd like to know: what about the 2nd hand luggage with Easyjet? I mean you're entitled to carry on board 1 hand luggage + 1 extra small hand lugagge?Do they check dimensions?
At FCO the gate agent didn't let me carry, in addition to a, size-wise legitimate carry-on, a really small computer bag*, although they allowed ladies to carry their purse, which were sometimes larger than mine! My complains (very polite) were answered in the sense of "if you don't like our decision you can stay here"!

* No more space than what was needed to cary a small Mac Air and its adaptors/power supply!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by KLouis
At FCO the gate agent didn't let me carry, in addition to a, size-wise legitimate carry-on, a really small computer bag*, although they allowed ladies to carry their purse, which were sometimes larger than mine! My complains (very polite) were answered in the sense of "if you don't like our decision you can stay here"!

* No more space than what was needed to cary a small Mac Air and its adaptors/power supply!
That's incredible!

Any other experience with Easyjet?

E.g. FR has become much more flexible, and personally i really appreciate this behavior!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:39 am

...Any other experience with Easyjet?...
Other than that, the two flights were OK and "better" than Ryanair: no constant attempts to sell you food and lottery tickets. But this is now also the case with FR.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Just one thing I'd like to know: what about the 2nd hand luggage with Easyjet? I mean you're entitled to carry on board 1 hand luggage + 1 extra small hand lugagge?Do they check dimensions?
Not true, U2 operate a 1 piece only policy, no extra second piece (apart from an airport shopping bag in some airports), it is FR that now allows that. That said, you often see ladies handbags going on separately, apparently they are not a piece of baggage to some gate agents...

Originally Posted by KLouis

If they enforced the policy for everyone, including ladies' handbags (and presumably some "manbags"), you would have nothing to complain about, but not right to discriminate against your Mac!

If U2 adopted the same change that FR recently made to allow a small second piece, I would move a lot of flights to them (mostly from BA). I have a similar small laptop bag to you, but can't always get it inside my carry-on in addition to clothes. I would be happy to be forced to put the 2nd piece under the seat in front.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Not true, U2 operate a 1 piece only policy, no extra second piece (apart from an airport shopping bag in some airports), it is FR that now allows that. That said, you often see ladies handbags going on separately, apparently they are not a piece of baggage to some gate agents...
Not true. If you transit in STN, you can find several advertisements that report the fact that you have an additional small baggage. Anyway, I agree with your considerations.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: united airlines
"Hold" luggage

Originally Posted by Mizter T
The fees can be seen on this page, under the Hold luggage fee (at airport) heading.
Versions of English other than "American" can confuse me at times, and EasyJet's explanation of luggage charges very much does, though at first glance it seems simple and straightforward enough.

One always pays for "checked" bags, or what they call "hold" luggage, the only exception being a bag that is within the size limits they allow for "carry-on" but which the plane is too full to accommodate and thus must be stowed below? So if the bag weighed only 10kg for it to go as ?"hold" luggage, one would pay a fee? The fee for "hold" bags up to 20kg will vary according to the flight, and there will be a per kg surcharge between 20kg and the maximum allowed 32kg? Can one see that base charge for the first 20kg somewhere on the website?

Thanks for any help. I do feel a bit foolish asking this, but the way they explain it really throws me.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by itsme
Versions of English other than "American" can confuse me at times, and EasyJet's explanation of luggage charges very much does, though at first glance it seems simple and straightforward enough.

One always pays for "checked" bags, or what they call "hold" luggage, the only exception being a bag that is within the size limits they allow for "carry-on" but which the plane is too full to accommodate and thus must be stowed below? So if the bag weighed only 10kg for it to go as ?"hold" luggage, one would pay a fee? The fee for "hold" bags up to 20kg will vary according to the flight, and there will be a per kg surcharge between 20kg and the maximum allowed 32kg? Can one see that base charge for the first 20kg somewhere on the website?

Thanks for any help. I do feel a bit foolish asking this, but the way they explain it really throws me.
Ok, I will try to explain (in American as far as possible ).

The rules for carry-on (cabin) baggage are as follows (my bold):

Option 1: ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels. Guaranteed to always travel with you in the cabin.

Option 2: ONE piece of cabin baggage within our maximum allowed size limitations, 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels. On some busy flights your bag may have to go into the hold, at no extra cost.

Or, if you’re an easyJet Plus cardholder, Flexi fare, easyJet Plus Upfront or Extra Legroom customer:
ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels. Overhead locker space is limited so please use easyJet Plus Speedy Boarding to board first in order to secure space in the overhead lockers.
So, as long as your one piece of carry-on is within the 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x10 inches) limit and you can lift it overhead, you will not have to pay any fee, even if they have to put it in the hold. If it is less than 50x40x20cm (20x16x8 inches) it is guaranteed to go in the cabin.

Note that when easyJet say 1 piece of carry-on, they mean it, even a small ladies handbag or tiny backpack/laptop bag is counted as a second piece. That said, as of March 19th, if you hold an easyJet Plus card, or have paid for an "upfront" or "extra legroom" seat, you will be entitled to take a second small piece such as laptop bag or ladies handbag. They haven't specified the size for this yet, but it needs to be small enough to go under the seat in front and I wouldn't advise pushing it too far on size.

For checked (hold) baggage, the price does indeed vary according to flight. There may be a chart somewhere, but:

> if you have not yet booked, easiest is to search for your flight and start the booking process, you can easily see how much it would be to add checked baggage (of varying weight) without completing the booking.

> if you've already booked, you should be able to see the checked bag prices and book from within booking management on easyJet.com or via the app.

Cheapest is to book it online, I don't know if it is more expensive after you have made the initial booking. It is more book it via the call center and more still (I think double the online price) to book it at the airport.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask for further clarification if still not sure, airline policies vary so much these days, there are no stupid questions.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:11 am

Not true. If you transit in STN, you can find several advertisements that report the fact that you have an additional small baggage. Anyway, I agree with your considerations.
The ads at STN are to allow one airport shopping bag in addition to the cabin baggage allowance permitted by each airline. This is something that the airport has negotiated with the airlines to maximise airport shopping revenue. The ads now trumpet that this includes Ryanair.

That said, since my previous post it has come to my attention that from 19 Mar 2015, U2 will now allow a second small piece of hand luggage (laptop bag/handbag) if you are an easyJet Plus cardholder or have purchased an uofront / extra legroom seat. Good news from my viewpoint, they will be getting some extra business from me.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
€35 data point: Agent at MXP monitoring the queue at security denied a 20" cabin bag whose wheels didn't fit into the sizer- sent back to baggage drop.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I can say from personal experience.

I commute weekly between EDIand STN. To make it as easy as possible I always travel with a single piece of cabin baggage. In testament to the quality of the product, I had used the same Travelpro Platinum 3 bag for 12 years on numerous airlines across the UK and the rest of world. It fits absolutely perfectly in to the overhead lockers (the correct way, wheels in, not sideways) as it was designed to do.

One Friday at STN I was first in the Speedy Boarding line and was approached by one of the Menzies gate staff who said my bag was too big. I explained that I've used it for many years and it fits perfectly in the overhead and that I had had no issues with taking it onboard on previous flights. She told me to put it in the sizer which I did. It would not go right in as the wheels, were catching the edge by around 1cm. The main part of the bag would have fitted without issue had the wheels not protruded. I was then informed that unless I paid 45 I would not be able to travel.

I pointed out to staff member that it was only the wheels preventing it from fitting but this was a complete waste of my time as she was not willing to apply any logic or discretion.

I paid my 45 and the bag was tagged and I was told to take it to the bottom of the steps.

On boarding I carried my bag to the aircraft as usual and as I have done many time before, placed it in the overhead locker where it fitted perfectly. In the end I paid 45 to take my bag in to the cabin.

I now have a new TravelPro bag that does fit in the sizers and I now use that.

EZY have changed the policy slightly for certain groups of customers:-

Cabin bag changes from Thursday 19th March 2015

All customers can bring ONE cabin bag up to the maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels. Overhead locker space is limited on board the aircraft and on busy flights your cabin bag may have to go in the hold.

If youre an easyJet Plus cardholder, FLEXI fare or Upfront or Extra Legroom customers then you can bring ONE additional small under seat bag (handbag/Laptop) with a maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20cm which will need to be placed under the seat in front. In order to secure your overhead locker space we recommend that you use easyJet Plus Speedy Boarding to be amongst the first to board the aircraft.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Easy are very tight on One Bag Only (and a bag of airport shopping in some airports).

(I know that's changing soon for Speedy Boarders, but I expect them to remain very tight on non-speedy-boarders).

They are less tight on size, I've definitely seen some pretty oversize bags, especially backpacks that don't look like "large suitcase". As noted above your mileage may vary, but they're not very rigorous on size.

But really, if your bag is bigger than the IATA carry on size, just check it in and get over it. Easy have never failed to give me my bag back on arrival (except the one time the Schiphol luggage handling had a fire and no bags could be handled) so they can be relied on.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: united airlines
We did it 10 days ago out of Gatwick and had no problems. We were staying overnight in airport hotel in order to make an early morning flight and were able to use "twilight check in" to be rid of bag the night before. I was concerned because I saw that by the smallest amount the wheels caught in that "sizer" though it fits wheels-in in the overhead compartment, but no one ever challenged me.

I was a bit apprehensive about this discount carrier with whom I had no previous experience, but all-in-all it was an entirely satisfactory experience. So, only issue some difficulty using/understanding website. Would consider future intra-continental travel with them. (Used EasyJet to make our itinerary an "open-jaws" one and EasyJet tickets were more than covered by UK departure tax on travel back to USA.)
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Not sure if this is the right old thread to kick, but I think my question is sort of a follow up...

I'm on a flexi fare, traveling with a roller bag that meets the overhead locker size requirements (cited a few posts up) and a backpack that meets the under seat size requirements. However, I'm in an exit row seat, which I expect like other EU carriers means I cannot use the under seat space during take off and landing? Is it safe to assume that I can still take both on board, just that both will have to go in the overhead?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by bennos
Not sure if this is the right old thread to kick, but I think my question is sort of a follow up...

I'm on a flexi fare, traveling with a roller bag that meets the overhead locker size requirements (cited a few posts up) and a backpack that meets the under seat size requirements. However, I'm in an exit row seat, which I expect like other EU carriers means I cannot use the under seat space during take off and landing? Is it safe to assume that I can still take both on board, just that both will have to go in the overhead?

Thanks!
Yes, that's been my experience. Also, I assume you have speedy boarding included which means that there will be overhead space available.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bennos

Thanks!
You will definitely be OK. With FLEXI fare you indeed get SB so you are entitled to 2 pcs of hand luggage regardless of where you are seated. Just make sure you are at the gate early and board with SB q as only first 55/65 bags are allowed in the cabin (dependant on a/c type).

Also make sure you have mobile phone or OLCI boarindg card (these clearly display FLEXI as opposed to the aiport check in) as these two give you 5 worth of food&drinks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.