Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Cityjet damaged my luggage after making me do a gate check in - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold

I flew on Cityjet from London to Amsterdam and had a single carry on bag, compliant with the required dimensions. At the gate, clearly they were facing issues because they made every passenger do a gate check in of their luggage of varying sizes. I wasn't given a choice and left my bag at the aircraft ramp, as requested. I noticed the baggage handler piling up the bags haphazardly but didn't pay much attention.

Once I got home, I tried to open my bag lock (it was a standalone Samsonite u-lock) and couldn't. Then I inspected it closer and found that the u-portion of the lock was badly bent, and the lock itself was dented in a few places. Clearly it had been struck with significant force during the flight. The lock broke apart when I removed it.

I contacted Cityjet and they said too bad, such damage is not covered and I could not claim.

Yes, the cost is minor (<20 euros) but what peeves me is that the airline denied all responsibility for the baggage. Is there any argument I can make to claim eg. under the Montreal Convention?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.