Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Iceland's WOW air launches £99 flights from London to the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:28 am
Original Poster

WOW tapping into the UK market.

The carrier is launching new flights from London Gatwick to Boston Logan International Airport on March 27 and to Baltimore Washington International, on June 4. They all include a layover in Reykjavik, the tiny Icelandic capital.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...to-the-US.html
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Also mentioned here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...h-201-gbp.html
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
The other bit of news is that they're adding BWI seasonal flights to KEF starting June. In BWI's case, they're taking on BA.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
re: Wow Airlines

I took advantage for the deals out of Boston, and bought a ticket for a quick four-day visit next May (over Memorial Day weekend). Total cost ended up being a total of $425 round-trip, but that included buying an exit row seat each way, and pre-paying for a large carry-on bag.

I've been meaning to get to check out Iceland for a while, couldn't resist this offer!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just checked these fares and learned of this airline. This is unbelievable! Half price at least to Europe from BWI or Boston.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
I have a flight out on Monday, BOS to KEF. I've searched the forums and the world wide interweb, but can't find any trip reports for WOW flights from the U.S. Has anyone had any experience with these and would like to share?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:34 pm

I've just bought tickets nonstop from BWI to KEF for late July - $636 plus extra legroom and baggage for two. Total of about $780 each, all in. Hopefully I just didn't make a horrible choice
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Biblioman1
I have a flight out on Monday, BOS to KEF. I've searched the forums and the world wide interweb, but can't find any trip reports for WOW flights from the U.S. Has anyone had any experience with these and would like to share?
I guess I can answer my own question now that I'm back. The good news, Green Dragon and others, is that this is a pretty nice airline! I've found out that WOW only have six planes at the moment - all new Airbus 320's. I paid for the extra legroom and it was quite comfortable, about what you get with an exit row on other planes. Cabin crew are extremely nice and responsive. No IFE on my flights, but I came prepared with books and movies on the ipad. Proud to say I only carried the 11 pound fee-free carryon that is allowed for my five day trip. They are strict with weighing them in. I didn't realize when I booked back in October that they only started flying from Boston on March 27th. Both flights were lightly booked and I had my row all to myself on both flights. Armrests lift, so it would have been possible to stretch out and sleep if I really neded it. I would think it will be similar for those who have bookings coming up soon. Once a lot of people have tried WOW I suspect they will start flying full. Bottom line, I intend to go again!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:46 pm

Biblioman1, thanks for the update. I have a flight in May for which I'm trying to choose my seat (traveling solo). I paid for 10F (exit row), back when the map made it look like there was space between F and the wall. They've since updated the seat map, and shows a more standard configuration (where D is the missing seat, and F is against the bulkhead). Did you happen to notice the exit rows, and how they were configured?

Many of the seats still look empty on my flight as well (ex-BOS on 5/21). Given your experience/advice, it might make sense that I move to one of those (many) empty XL rows. I don't need the legroom of the exit row, and I really do like having an empty seat next to me.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by alanstar
Biblioman1, thanks for the update. I have a flight in May for which I'm trying to choose my seat (traveling solo). I paid for 10F (exit row), back when the map made it look like there was space between F and the wall. They've since updated the seat map, and shows a more standard configuration (where D is the missing seat, and F is against the bulkhead). Did you happen to notice the exit rows, and how they were configured?

Many of the seats still look empty on my flight as well (ex-BOS on 5/21). Given your experience/advice, it might make sense that I move to one of those (many) empty XL rows. I don't need the legroom of the exit row, and I really do like having an empty seat next to me.
Alanstar - I think moving to an empty XL row is a good strategy. I was in 9D, an aisle seat and the last row before the exit row. The exit row space is huge! An FA has a jump seat against the bulkhead across from the passengers, so there's enough room that the FA and the pax across from her could both stretch their legs out fully without touching each other. On my return flight, I had my row to myself (9) and row nine , across from me, and all of row 10 in front of me were empty.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:02 am

Thanks for the updates about your flight. Did you happen to catch what was offered for food on-board? I'll be on with my 4 y.o. son... I'll be packing snacks, etc., but curious what's available.

Also, just saw that children aren't allowed to sit in XL seats, bummer since I'm 6'3" and not looking forward to the cramped space.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by biostatistician
Thanks for the updates about your flight. Did you happen to catch what was offered for food on-board? I'll be on with my 4 y.o. son... I'll be packing snacks, etc., but curious what's available.

Also, just saw that children aren't allowed to sit in XL seats, bummer since I'm 6'3" and not looking forward to the cramped space.
I did not notice children being kept out of the XL seats. You sure that isn't just exit row seats? I suppose you could get an XL across the aisle from standard seating, but I don't suppose parents would do that. Having none, I claim ignorance. There are a lot of snack options. Most of the kids on board went for the pizza. Enjoy the flight, though.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:38 pm

The Boston Globe liked the flight itself, but had some harsh words for the airport experience.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...FfI/story.html
Old May 19, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by alanstar
The Boston Globe liked the flight itself, but had some harsh words for the airport experience.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...FfI/story.html
I never get the complaints about additional fees on discount airlines.

It's like listening to someone whine about not getting 5 star dining at McDonalds.

Old May 28, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: HH diamond
Very pleasantly surprised by WOW. Even though check-in is at the desk (no online check in), they were efficient with lots of desks open. They check all carry-on luggage for weight and eyeball the size and tag the allowed ones. Overweight and oversized luggage had to be checked.

Even though the website states only one piece of carry on, I did see them allow small purses in addition to a carry on but nothing larger, i.e, NO second bag allowed at all including computer bags and backpacks.

The flight appeared to be full. Boarding was orderly. I boarded towards the end "everybody else can board now" and nearly missed the plane because I completely missed the announcements. So don't know how the rest of boarding was done.
Despite my late boarding, still found plenty of overhead space, most likely due to strict adherence of only allowing one piece of carry on and adherence to proper size vs other airlines allowing ppl to bring another giant bag(s) as their "personal item". Boarding was quick because of this restriction as well (no hunting around for space & no bin hogs).
Booked an XL seat which had plenty of leg space, even was able to catch a nap. There were meals and drinks for purchase, nothing is complimentary including water. Prices and options are listed in the inflight magazine.
The plane had a software problem which took an hour to fix. However, WOW held their connecting flights so no one with a WOW connection missed their onward journey (can't say the same for those who booked on other airlines).

All-in-all, a pleasant journey. I would definitely fly WOW again ESP given how low the prices are comparatively. Hopefully my flight home in a standard seat will be just as pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.