Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair announces Portland, Oregon (PDX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by garethlewis
I can't wait until they reinstate LAX
I don't think the 757s have the range to do KEF-California.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:11 am
Company Representative, Icelandair

Originally Posted by Braniff
I don't think the 757s have the range to do KEF-California.
Hi Braniff!

We are always able to adjust our fleet based on network demand. Don't count us out yet!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by IcelandairCS
Hi Braniff!

We are always able to adjust our fleet based on network demand. Don't count us out yet!
Welcome to Flyertalk. Great initiative. I never count Icelandair out! It's amazing what you have already achieved.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Hi Braniff!

Fantastic to see you on the forum! I can't wait to fly Icelandair again as its one of my favourite airlines and countries
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:00 am

I keep hoping they will add ORD.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
They fly old Boeing 757s which are practically being given away
Their oldest active 752 is MSN 24456, first flight in 1989, so not very old. To put it in perspective, it is on par with UA, and newer than DL, who operates 752s made in 1985.

My guess is that perhaps they do maintenance during that window?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: TK Elite
SEA, YVR, PDX, that's alot of metal focused on the pacific northwest, any reason for the focus on that region? Not that I'm complaining at all, I just find it surprising as I thought California or other cities on the East Coast would be added first!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
SEA, YVR, PDX, that's alot of metal focused on the pacific northwest, any reason for the focus on that region? Not that I'm complaining at all, I just find it surprising as I thought California or other cities on the East Coast would be added first!

There's quite a Nordic community in that region. I believe they launched service to SEA when SAS Scandinavian pulled out - a time when SK was even more mismanaged than now. And I guess it worked so well that they expanded to PDX and YVR...

Their 757s don't have the range to California. The East Coast is already served pretty well - Boston for example will have three daily flights next summer...

Last edited by Braniff; Oct 25, 2014 at 4:55 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Wow, the plane sits on the ground in PDX for 21 hours. Seems like poor aircraft utilization. I assume they fly the return flight with the same crew, but that still is quite a long layover in PDX. Is that typical for Icelandair?
They fly old Boeing 757s which are practically being given away - so there is essentially no cost of capital. They do the same for their Seattle, Vancouver, Denver and Orlando flights. This business model clearly would not work with a new fleet so perhaps not sustainable.
They need to do it [sit planes on the ground for 20+ hours] for these flights which are too far West or South from KEF, otherwise it will not fit into the model of US/CA arrival bank at ~6am to allow connections to Europe at ~7am.
And in reverse they cannot leave earlier than ~5pm from KEF otherwise it cannot take connecting pax from Europe.

Icelandair must have looked at the scenarios of forcing an overnight at KEF for connecting pax to these destinations in one of the directions but went for the 20+ hours of plane parked in the US option so I guess it's the best financial scenario for them.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Wow, Icelandair continues to surprise. They are certainly doing clever things, and the Iceland stopover option is brilliant, in my opinion.

I know they are causing some problems for AC up here in Canada by offering much cheaper options to Europe.

However, the few times I've been at KEF it seems almost too busy. I would worry long term about how continued increasing demand would place additional pressure on the airport. The US/CAN departure area can be insane at times.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Historically Icelandair has been picking destinations in the U.S. that are not served by many international carriers in order to capitalize on an under-served international market.
So instead of IAD, they used to fly to BWI where they were the only major international carrier aside from a daily BA flight.
That's why they have been expanding in markets like Portland, Anchorage, Edmonton, Halifax.
They also of course serve major gateways like JFK, Boston, EWR.
I highly recommend going to Iceland. And flying Icelandair is pleasant enough. Although I understand they now don't serve meals in coach. Last time I flew them was in 2010.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:52 am
Company Representative, Icelandair

Hi qmiro,

As a quick correction, we do offer a variety of meal choices in coach for purchase throughout the flight.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum

Yup. Meant complimentary meals. Apologies.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi Braniff!

Oh my God, this would make my LIFE. Living in LA and flying to Iceland multiple times a year through Denver now...Don't get my hopes up, I'm giddy just thinking about it
Old May 18, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
KEF-PDX starts tomorrow! Forward bookings look amazing also. Look for a service increase come 2016.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.